Extension: Rooster Import - Transcribe Online Videos and Import Spotify Songs

ROOSTER WEB EXTENSIONS CATALOGUE

Rooster Import (FREE)
Browser extension to create LingQ Lessons from Video links (URL).

OVERVIEW
→ The Official LingQ Importer Extension cannot import Youtube videos without subtitles.
→ To Import an entire Youtube Playlist at once see here Youtube Playlist Importer.
→ To Import an entire Spotify Playlist at once see here Spotify Playlist Importer.
→ This extension can import content from multiple websites and transcribe Youtube videos.
→ Option to import original video subtitles and also receive a google translation of the text.

SETUP
Languages (Comes prefilled depending on your LingQ preferences)
Conversion Platform (Choose if you want Video Transcribe, Subtitles or Spotify Import)
Audio Quality (320k or 128k)
Lesson Difficulty (Standard LingQ Lesson choices)
Course ID (Enter LingQ CourseID or find your course in the dropdown menu)
Video URL (Enter Youtube/Supported Video URL)

VIDEO IMPORT EXAMPLE V1.10 | SPOTIFY IMPORT EXAMPLE V1.18

MANUAL INSTALL (FIREFOX)

PATCH NOTES

Fixed an issue preventing Youtube lessons from being created.

Fixed an issue preventing Youtube videos from creating lessons. (Bug from 1.25)

Added SaveTheVideo Video Conversion Method. (Currently just for video Transcribing, I’ll add Text and translation imports through this method in a later patch)
SaveTheVideo can import from basically any video website on the internet (Excluding Youtube) Use this method for odd video importing.
Added Query Video button (To confirm selection before import)

Previous Patches

→ 1.26
Fixed an issue preventing Youtube videos from creating lessons. (Bug from 1.25)

→ 1.25
Added SaveTheVideo Video Conversion Method. (Currently just for video Transcribing, I’ll add Text and translation imports through this method in a later patch)
SaveTheVideo can import from basically any video website on the internet (Excluding Youtube) Use this method for odd video importing.
Added Query Video button (To confirm selection before import)

→ 1.24
Added new Spotify Audio import method

→ 1.23
Fixed an issue preventing description being applied to Youtube videos
Fixed SaveSubs method (They blocked non main page loads so we now go to main page for data)

→ 1.22
Spotify audio import has been temporarily disabled. It still imports lyrics and podcast text (The API I was using has blocked access. I will fix this in a later patch)

→ 1.21
Spotify option now imports podcast episodes (If transcript is available) (no audio import yet) EXAMPLE PODCAST

→ 1.20
Spotify option now imports Lyrics and Audio

→ 1.19
Added Create Course button to Course dropdown menu

→ 1.18

→ 1.17

• ALL METHODS
  • Youtube API dependancy removed (We now directly retrieve the video information)
  • Added support for different Youtube URL types (Youtu.be) (Youtube…)
  • CONVERTOR METHOD (Use this conversion option for videos outside Youtube)
  • Added support for 25 different Video Sites.* (Unfortunately Converter is only returning MP4 files of videos outside Youtube. The Video files are saved to your computer along with all the video information. You can convert this to MP3 yourself and upload to LingQ. I will fix this issue in a later patch)
  • TEXT EXTRACT METHOD (Use this conversion option for videos with subtitles included)
  • Added support for a large number of video websites. Now creates LingQ Lessons with extracted subtitles and translations from all available websites.
  • YT5S VIDEO (Use this conversion option for transcribing Youtube videos)
  • Audio Quality selection for Youtube Videos.

→ 1.16

• New conversion method (Extract Subtitles and Google Translation of subtitles)
  • Creates LingQ Lesson with Text/Translation. (Audio is also imported for LingQ Librarians)
  • Downloads Text and Translation to your PC as a text document.
  • Multiple GUI Updates (Quality Select, Close Button)
  • NOTE: You can enter a video from these additional websites. If they have subtitles it will download them but will not create a LingQ lesson.
  • dailymotion.com | viki.com | facebook.com | vimeo.com | kocowa.com

→ 1.15 Added Course Selection & Difficulty Selection dropdown
→ 1.14 Fixed importing (Broke with 1.13)
→ 1.13 Updated GUI
→ 1.12 Added Alternative Conversion Method
→ 1.11 Added MP3 Quality selection* (128 or 320 or other MP3 styles…)

3 Likes

When will it be available through Firefox? Anytime I try installing manually I always get a corrupted file message.

1 Like

@Cantagorous I just submitted it to Firefox and updated with the store link. Link will work when Firefox approves it.

Try unzipping the file first

1 Like

I tried it both zipped and unzipped. It didn’t work either way.

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot of your error? I don’t have enough information to help

1 Like

After it failed I deleted the file. I’d need to re-download and do it all again. It’s not important anyway, once it’s in the Firefox store I’ll install it then, but the error pop up didn’t explain anything as I recall. It just said it couldn’t install because it was a corrupt file. Once unzipped and tried that way, when you go to the add-on page, search for the file on your computer, and click it to install, it didn’t work, and when the file was opened it appeared empty.

1 Like

Large new patch has been released for Rooster Transcribe.

PATCH NOTES
→ 1.16

• New conversion method (Extract Subtitles and Google Translation of subtitles)
  • Creates LingQ Lesson with Text/Translation. (Audio is also imported for LingQ Librarians)
  • Downloads Text and Translation to your PC as a text document.
  • Multiple GUI Updates (Quality Select, Close Button)
  • NOTE: You can enter a video from these additional websites. If they have subtitles it will download them but will not create a LingQ lesson.
  • dailymotion.com | viki.com | facebook.com | vimeo.com | kocowa.com

Edit: Install link was directing to the wrong file. Fixed on original post.

2 Likes

Have you decided not to put this on the Firefox store?

1 Like

@Cantagorous Firefox declined to host it because I was too liberal with the website permissions in the settings file. Not a difficult fix to bring it up to their standard but slightly tedious. I’ll resubmit in the next couple days.

see here for manual install on Firefox

1 Like

That worked. But I’ve tried it and have been waiting 5 minutes for it to transcribe and still nothing. It seems stuck at the “Starting-…” phase. On a 4:30 video.

1 Like

Interesting. Can you try the other Conversion option and let me know if its working for you.

1 Like

I switched to YTConverter and that seemed to work. When I looked for the lesson though I couldn’t find it.

1 Like

Check the course you imported it to it should be there, transcribed lessons can take a short while to show up.

1 Like

10 minutes so far and still nothing. Later I’ll try a different video and see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

Only thing I can say Is to watch the Video and see if anything different happened for you.

You can press F12 and click Console. This will show any errors that occur in the process.

1 Like

I’ve figured out what caused the problem. One or two of my ad and script blockers were interfering.

2 Likes

Great to hear! Now to import all the videos…

1 Like

Hey, @roosterburton!

What’s the difference between the top two choices?:

• YT5S - Video Transcribe
  • YTConverter - Video Transcribe

Not sure if I missed it listed here.

Thanks!

P.S. And just to be sure, the SaveSubs - Text and Translation Import option “[d]ownloads Text and Translation to your PC as a text document.”?

1 Like

Just a backup in case one of the methods breaks. One of them might produce better audio too, havn’t tested it properly.

If its a Youtube Video it will create a LingQ lesson with the information, If its from those other sites it will download the Text and Translation to your PC.

2 Likes

Rooster Transcribe is no longer just Transcribe

As of 1.20
→ Spotify imports with the original Audio

As of 1.18
→ Spotify Lyrics Import
→ Subtitle and Translation Import of Multiple Video hosting websites
→ Download MP4 and video data files of external websites
→ Transcribe Youtube Videos

2 Likes