Update - New Whisper Automatic Transcription, Deepl integration and more

What doesn’t work? What are we looking at here?

1 Like

No file is possible to be imported. As you see all files are deactivated.

Update: the problem is solved.

1 Like

Glad the issue is resolved. But, that image above isn’t from the LingQ app is it?

1 Like

No the picture is from my phone storage.

1 Like

This is great, thanks! Do you think whisper integration will be available for videos sometime in the future? I still struggle with finding interesting Youtube contents with subtitles in my target language (Farsi) so that I have used import much less than I would have liked :wink:

1 Like

@taschka1983 Last I heard they were working on bringing transcribed Youtube videos to users.

If you want this feature today you can see my free Import extension here.

1 Like

Is it still Deepl for Korean? Sometimes I do copy sentences that look strange and paste them into Google Translate for a “second opinion.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes still deepl. We are looking at ways to enable a refresh of the translation which can be strange sometimes.

2 Likes

Just a thought - if you are reading Intermediate level material, you will probably often have better luck with Naver’s Papago translator. It does much better with technical, historical, and academic/official styles of writing than Google. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just opened my first lesson by Whisper and it is so accurate that is amazing.

Even when there was a part with background music the job is done so well.

Brilliant and a huge thanks to all developers for implementing such a thing! I love it!

5 Likes

Hi all - haven’t really been keeping up with the new features very well. I did my first youtube import yesterday of a podcast, no subtitles on the video, new feature generating transcript worked perfectly.
This video won’t work though L’instant thé : 3 étapes pour lire à voix haute et parler le Français naturellement (youtube.com)

Are there certain categories of videos that don’t work? Was it just bad timing and there’s now a bug where there wasn’t before? It was stuck pending on the AI takes time message overnight and then this morning it gave me an “oops you don’t have permission” message when opening the lesson this morning and now shows that if I try to re-import. Any suggestions please :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reality is that this function should mostly work but there still seem to be some issues that randomly appear. We are working to address them but, in the meantime, probably best just to move on to a different video instead.

1 Like

Just know that the implementations that I have used or seen used for Icelandic are not accurate enough. I have had to put a public lesson back to private because the texts were whisper-generated and they were quite far off. I have had a fellow LingQ user transcribe some texts with a more accurate version of the AI, but I still had to correct them afterwards.

1 Like

How bad is bad? Unusable bad or just not perfect? Of course, the results should be much better in larger languages but just good to know what the level is like in languages like Icelandic.

1 Like

I was uploading a lesson and got prompted to “resplit the japanese with ai.” Is this a new feature and how can I trigger it on older lessons? I’m looking at some of the lessons it worked on and I can really tell the difference.

2 Likes

Hi @igcroush, just open Japanese lesson, hover over three dots, click on Settings, scroll to the bottom, select “Optimize word splitting using AI”, exit settings, open older lessons. If it wasn’t re-splitted before, by opening them, you would trigger re-splitting process automatically. Thanks

2 Likes

@LingQlearner If you don’t mind my asking I have checked on the Optimize word splitting using AI box and indeed it is automatically working on the web interface of Lingq. I have already tried it on the Lingq iOS app and the automatic re-splitting does not seem to work when opening a new or old lesson. Will this feature be brought to mobile (iOS) devices? Is this something that is being considered!?
I mainly use Lingq on iOS devices!

1 Like

Can this be available for Chinese, also?

2 Likes

This is supposed to optimize lessons that you import. Are you saying that when importing lessons on the iOS app, they are not being imported using the optimized splitter? This feature does not optimize existing lessons I’m afraid. It only optimizes when you actually import something.
For those lessons that you previously imported, you can find the optimize option in the settings. For lessons taken from the Library, I’m afraid those can’t be optimized by you.

1 Like

This is a Japanese specific technology that has been incorporated here. We are looking at how to do something similar for Chinese in the not too distant future.

2 Likes