Youtube Import not possible

Today I tried to import from desktop and Android a Youtube video with subtitles but instead of importing the transcript and audio, I just got the title of the video imported.

1 Like

Do you have problem with that one specific video only? Can you post the video URL?

1 Like

I tried this morning and now everything works again fine.

2 Likes

I’am sorry. Again there’s a huge problem with importing youtube-videos. Constantly I receive the error message: no captions found. It has started a few days ago.

1 Like

I’d be happy to see if I get the same error – can you post the link to such a video here?

1 Like

I have tried youtube-material from different chanels. It’s always the same error reported to me. eg.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojnx2ZAdIk

1 Like

I can confirm the LingQ Importer extension in Chrome also had the same error. I note that this video has auto-generated captions which seems to cause problems for me with Norwegian and Spanish videos as well, but I have not had trouble with actual transcribed captions. The workaround I have used for that case is this:

1. Using an app called 4K Video Downloader (4K Video Downloader | Free Download from YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, SoundCloud) I download the video and (most importantly) the subtitles (.srt file).
  2. Within LingQ I use the Import button to create a new lesson – paste the Youtube URL where it asks and then drag the .srt file I downloaded to the window and create the lesson.
  3. Using this method I was able to generate the lesson from the URL you posted. (Russian is a great sounding language, but the alphabet makes it a big barrier for me). I wish I could share the lesson with you, but that apparently has to be approved by LingQ.

This leads me to think that the issue is with Youtube - auto-generated subtitles and I hope this workaround might be useful for others.

FYI, for languages that Youtube can’t autogenerate subtitles (which includes Norwegian for me) I also use 4K Video Downloader and pay for a subscription to Happy Scribe to generate the subtitles. It seems like LingQ could probably do this also if I just downloaded the audio but I haven’t learned how to do that yet.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yes, I have found the same. Videos with subtitles (not the autogenerated ones) import fine.

I have had luck with LingQs auto transcription feature in Spanish as well.

It’s every video I try to import but here’s the link to this video: https://youtu.be/0i7Jl4xeXs4?si=N-mjBd5xYtQkFudb

4 Likes

I haven’t been able to import for three weeks or more now. It’s the only reason I paid for this site - so I’m feeling quite a bit ripped off at this point.

7 Likes

Getting the same error: Error: Importing failed - No captions found. It has only happened in the last couple of days.

2 Likes

Reminder to all experiencing this issue that the Premium Rooster Import Tools work independent of the LingQ importer. Multiple solutions and backups on backups to get the content imported correctly.

Import / Overlay

Bulk Import from multiple websites (including YouTube)

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure what any of that is… All I know is that I’ve paid LingQ so I could import - because LingQ said if I paid I could import. I paid, and now it doesn’t seem like I can.

I guess my point is, I don’t want to pay more money to do something I should already be able to do.

7 Likes

I agree with you there that the LingQ Importer should work. The problem is a technical one for the LingQ devs to solve because of the recent crackdowns by YouTube on third parties. From some of the recent error messages posted here it is likely they tried to outsource the importing to another party which is also having a problem.

What we offer is a premium version of the LingQ Importer. It’s not for everyone but will save a lot of time for the most hardcore importers / learners.

4 Likes

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for clarifying - that’s way more info than LingQ has offered after all this time. Perhaps LingQ should outsouce to you all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That one is also auto generated korean. I tried too, but it fails the same way.

If the video has provided ( i.e. non auto generated) subs in korean, it works. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhQ7Zs6s0c&list=PLw8MPosKJuVUvHkbN6P0vOocXArMVwwN6

Everything fails:

Apple iPad, YouTube application.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Here’s one video I’ve tried: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-vKf_gXEg

Auto-generated captions in Russian, from both Chrome and Firefox (desktop, MacBook). Error message: no captions found.

I’m not sure if there’s been an update to the LingQ browser extension, but when I downloaded it to a new Chrome profile today, I was able to choose between “Automated Transcript” and “Whisper AI (if available).” The import failed when I chose Automated Transcript, but it says it was successful when I chose Whisper AI. We’ll see how that worked. (It’s currently pending.)

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Nothing imports from YouTube. Here is an example…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFp0Rf8WiKg

I have opened a trouble ticket, but I have not gotten a response.

1 Like

Why doesn’t lingQ just hire you guys instead of putting out fires all the time :person_shrugging:

3 Likes