Extension: Rooster Lesson Editor -> Easy LingQ Lesson editing program

ROOSTER WEB EXTENSIONS CATALOGUE

ROOSTER LESSON EDITOR FOR LINGQ
Browser extensions to easily edit LingQ lessons after creation / import.

ROOSTER LESSON EDITOR FOR LINGQ (PREMIUM)
Premium browser extension to easily edit LingQ lessons after creation / import.
PATCH 1.18 VIDEO | PATCH 1.15 VIDEO

EXTRA FEATURE INFO
  • To use the Concat/Copy Text function, save the output to a notepad file and then use the ‘Patch text’ button.
  • If you want to turn your lesson into a singular block of text use the ‘Sentence Everything’ button and then change the first line (not title) back to a paragraph.
  • If you want to separate every line use the ‘Paragraph Everything’ button.
  • I recommend translating your lesson after formatting. (Use Master LingQ tool)
  • The ‘Generate Audio’ button only works on Firefox. The output will play on Chrome but won’t save.

LATEST PATCH
V1.31

INSTALL
Please see Early-Access Links on the main Web-Extensions page.

DEVELOPMENT NOTES

FINAL FREE PATCH NOTES
PREMIUM EDITOR PATCH NOTES

ROOSTER LESSON EDITOR FOR LINGQ (FREE)
Free browser extension to easily edit LingQ lessons after creation / import.

Give your thanks to Jon Franklin @jf999 for this extension idea.

PATCH NOTES

PATCH 1.21
Patch Notes Click Me

PICTURE AND VIDEO EXAMPLES

VIDEO - V 1.21 | VIDEO - V1.19 | VIDEO - V1.16
EXAMPLE WITH DEEPL
PAIR WITH DEEPL EXTENSION TO MAKE FAST TRANSLATION PAIRS

BASICS | FEATURES

BASICS
→ Open LingQ lesson edit menu → image
→ Click ROOSTER LESSON EDITOR button underneath “Notes Viewer”

FEATURES
→ Add/Delete/Modify text of the lesson in a block format
→ Select if each line is paragraph header or a sentence → EXAMPLE
→ Split existing lines
→ Copy and Delete all lines in a lesson
→ Text Box is set for target language
→ Modify lesson translations
→ Modify and generate new timestamps
→ Playback audio fragments

PLANNED UPDATES

→ None

KNOWN BUGS

→ Multi line deleting by highlighting doesn’t save
→ Cannot paste on a new line, move cursor to end of previous line and paste.

TESTIMONIALS

I tried out Rooster Lesson Editor and…

PAIRED EXTENSIONS

→ See this post about Rooster Lesson Translator

INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE

INSTALL LINKS
FIREFOX | CHROME | SOURCE CODE

4 Likes

I do not know if this thread is the rigt place to ask a question. When importing a youtube video here on LingQ usually there is a lot of empty spacing between sentences . It is not intuitive at all to read the text like normal text in a LingQ lesson. With this editor can I display the text without displaying empty space between sentences. For example, the way the text appears in above mentioned images can I dispaly it for texts extracted from youtube videos?

1 Like

Hi Asad.
Yes. This editor will help you to change the lesson to the way you want. I recommend the Firefox version its got the new patch.

That’s good to know. Thanks for the info

Note: If I’m understanding correctly, spaces indicate sentence/paragraph breaks in the text, so it can be formatted properly when you read it in the reader view.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for the link. I’ll add it for clarification to the main post.

1 Like

Hey, Rooster, thanks for all the work you did on this. I just edited a full lesson with it, where all the sentences were jacked up due to auto-generated subtitles. It reduced the amount of time I spent on editing from more than an hour to like 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review @jf999
I haven’t done much testing with it yet. I have a few questions. Did it function as expected for longer lessons? Did you use the delete function and edit somewhere else? Was there any other bugs you found other than what I noted? And is there any feature that needs to be added?

Yeah there was one thing, kind of minor. The first thing I did was copy all the content from the editor into an OpenOffice doc, where I made all the corrections. Then I pasted the whole thing back in over the top of what was there (copy all from OO to clipboard, select-all in the editor, paste). It didn’t erase what was there like I had expected–it just pre-pended it at the top. So I just deleted everything in the editor with the delete-all button, then re-pasted and it was fine.

I have also:

• made small edits to single lines in the editor, where I added punctuation
  • split a sentence into two
  • used the “paragraph everything” button
  • used the “delete everything” button

All these worked without any issues.

Looks like you’re forced to save each sentence individually when I save the edited lesson, but I think you were saying this is a limitation of the API’s you’re stuck with. That’s totally fine, it beats the 3-6 second delay every $#@! time I click out of a text box in the built-in editor by a long shot. (LingQ folks, I hate your lesson editor, just sayin’) I can go do something else while I wait for the update to complete.

This extension is worth money to me. I’ll be sending you a donation very soon. Thanks again.

1 Like

This is a smart move and I recommend anyone using this software to do major edits in a different editor.

My frustrations

I have tried so hard to solve this problem I think I gained a couple gray hairs. There is 120 commented out green lines of frustration right in the middle of the source code relating to the multi line delete by cursor.
I made the structure too complicated and now i’m left pondering in the corner with my tin-foil hat. I could address the problem at the root but will take a bit of restructuring.
I’ll have another look at the multi-line thing in the future when i’m not so busy…
Or if any aspiring programmer is reading this… Search the document for this line and go your hardest.
if ((e.key === 'Backspace' || e.key === 'Delete') && cursorPosition === 0) {

I made this button specifically because of my frustrations in the previous bit. Glad to know it works well!

Ye I didn’t find a convenient way to handle the entire text. Adding an extra line between 2 and 3 in a 1k line document will update lines 3->1k. If someone knows of a good end point to handle this let me know.

The pain is over my friend.

Open LingQ in a new tab and keep doing your thing!

Thank you very much for the donation. I won’t forget that.

My thoughts for upcoming patch to Lesson Editor

→ Generate Timestamps button
→ Toggleable side menu that shows timestamps next to sentence allowing you to copy and repaste if you want

Thats probably it for next patch, but i’ll keep this one on the development list.

1 Like

I hope this makes sense, but I do encounter issues where it’s tough to match up the text of the target language with the human translations I have.

This results in the translation being off from the target language because I can’t always match the exact original formatting of the target language beforehand.

Note: I’m still working on my process to make the formatting match before I paste in the translations.

All that to say: Is there a way the Editor extension could be used to fix the misalignment of translation with the target language?

No worries if it can’t; I just wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Hey @jpp025 You can try out Rooster Lesson Translator

basically → Edit your lesson → go to Reader → Hit Translate → Wait for Translation. Done.

While translating you can still use LingQ in a new tab. Same with lesson updates. Have fun!

You can also use the DeepL extension as seen in the video.

Edit: I’m guessing you want to preserve your original translation. I’m not sure if thats possible because I wouldn’t know where to cut the sentence. If someone has any ideas about this let me know.

1 Like

I was thinking, if there was a way to display the two side-by-side in the editor extension:

Korean Translation | Human Translation

[Target language Text Here] | [Human Translation Text here]

Example Mapped Out Very Roughly in Gdocs:

(or whatever translation users are using, it’s just human in my case)

Edit: Obviously "Rooster-ified" — without the blocks + keeping the original editor style:

And be able to scroll through (and edit) like it’s displayed in the Rooster Editor.

1 Like

Good idea, this is simple to implement with the API too. Added for next patch

1 Like

Hi there, this looks extremely useful!

I’m not a Firefox user. But I must be doing something wrong, because when clicking the link for the Chrome extension in your post, I’m taken to a site where google wants me to register as a developer. This doesn’t seem right…

Hi @jaredredmond

Sorry about that I fixed the chrome link

1 Like

Lovely, thank you for that!

ROOSTER LESSON UPDATER V1.18 PATCH NOTES

VIDEO OF NEW PATCH

Thankyou very much to @jf999 for his generous donation and @jpp025 for his great idea with the translations.

PATCH NOTES

→ Lesson editor now loads without page refresh
→ Translation View and Update menu added
→ Lesson editor is now longer and wider by default
→ Translation box and original box scroll each other

DETAILED PATCH NOTES

→ increased scope to LingQ library onwards → no reload required
→ fixed conflicting names betweer rooster products
→ added translation toggle → retains state between updates
→ found good end point to do mass updates. Requires code restructuring (change of operations order) so will be looked at in future patch.
→ check out this endpoint yourself → change ‘fi’ to your language ad ‘214…’ to your lessonId.
https://www.lingq.com/api/v3/fi/lessons/21485280/editor/?accessor=paragraphs

UPCOMING PATCH

→ Place to drop a new block of text content if you want to overwrite the whole thing. also select if you want paragraph everything in this menu.
→ Generate Timestamps and Timestamps display
→ Maybe faster saving (If i sort out the operations and backend)

WIDE SCREEN TRANSLATIONS VIEW

COLLAPSED VIEW

SNEAK PEAK OF 1.19

1 Like

ROOSTER LESSON EDITOR V1.20 FREE

With many thanks to @jf999 and @jpp025

VIDEO CHECK IT OUT!

I now consider the free version of this product complete.
Unless there is some major problem…!

Patch Notes 1.20

→ Added toggle-able Timestamp menu
→ Editing of timestamps,
→ Playback of Audio fragments without delay
→ Edit multiple timestamps before saving
→ Auto generate new timestamps without a page refresh

Patch Notes for nerds 1.20

→ Audio is cached when we first request timestamps. No delay or lagging between audio clips.
→ Genaudio returns invalid JSON → LingQ devs should have a look at this, the timestamps are returning too early and giving invalid results. I had to re-request the timestamp data after 3 seconds.

Lesson Editor Free -> final thoughts and notes from the author.

→ There are minor bug fixes and improvements to be made on the saving operations.
→ The source code is available in this state to anyone looking to make improvements for personal use.
→ Notable bugs include (Multi-line deletion by cursor, cannot paste on new line and backspacing at end of line causes script errors sometimes.)
→ People should just do big edits in a different editor and utilize the delete everything button until the premium version of this product is released.

1 Like

Awesome work, @roosterburton!

Can this be made resizable? It seems like the proportions are off for my 13-inch screen:

Edit 2: Example of a resizable window that you’ve done in the past:

Even in full-screen mode, it requires side-scrolling:

Firefox Full-screen Rooster Editor:

Edit: Or is there a way for the extension to detect the size of the (Firefox) window and automatically resize based on what it detects? (hopefully that makes sense :laughing: )

P.S. Do you know of a way I can force an update on a Firefox extension without having to uninstall and reinstall? I keep having to uninstall and reinstall to see updates for the extensions. It’s not a huge deal, just inconvenient, lol.

1 Like

Hi @roosterburton, the extension looks really promising and it already can save hours of time!
I’ve encountered some issues in it though, that I’d like to share and give some thoughts on possible solutions for them:

1. editable-container and translation-container grow too wide (as mentioned by @jpp025, one has to use side scroll for multiple screen wide text). The easy fix that comes to me is setting “white-space” to “normal” (instead of “nowrap”) on these elements. However as a side effect the “Paragraph” and “Delete” buttons stretch over the lines, which is not critical, but timestamps will no longer align with sentences, and this is a bit worse.

EDIT: Downloaded the sources and I see that you deliberately prevent line breaks. Not sure if it’s more preferable than having 4 different horizontal scrolls… Maybe then contentContainer should be set with max width, to avoid the overall horizontal scroll as a starting point, but with editable containers its either wrap and misaligned rows across the page or nowrap and horizontal slides…

2. Not sure if this one fall into “backspace at the end of line”, but: when merging two sentences (by hitting delete at the end of the line) the second sentence remains after changes are saved, resulting in duplicated parts.

3. If there is no audio file attached then timestamps are filled with nulls for every sentence: [null, null].

The issue however is when you attempt to save changes and it tries to update timestamps as well, and we have the following exception: TypeError: timestampBox.getAttribute(…) is nullcontent.js:1714:57
    The page must be reloaded after that, as it gets stuck in saving state.

4. Quite minor point, but might help with better visuals. It seems that timestamps are stored in float and therefore sometimes we have ridiculous numbers there. I’d guess floor() to first decimal to match with a built-in editor might be a solution.

Anyway, the extension rocks! Keep up the great work!

1 Like