Rooster Master LingQ - The Ultimate LingQ Enhancement Tool

It just shows up to 9 words (4) each side of the word in question in several contexts. I can change it to include more.

I also noticed that it translates the fragment to the interface language, not the native language. I’ll make a fix for that later.

edit:

for 1.153

Added distinction between interface language and native language. (This bug affected learners whose interface language wasn’t available on LingQ/not applied)
    Fixes implemented for Observer, AutoLingQ and LongLinGQ in MasterLingQ Premium
1 Like

Thanks. Do you think it possible to show the whole source sentence, instead of a chunk? Would that longer version be reflected in the regular vocabulary study tab in Lingq?

@malaga.1979

For the initial fragment I will make that change, to show the full sentence in question.

The ‘more fragments’ comes from LingQs API. Which only stores up to 9 words from the context.

So I guess we have to hope that LingQ removes the word limitation in fragments to make them meaningfull, relevant information. :frowning: Thank you!

1 Like

I need to make some improvements to the ‘long-lingq’ component. But you can create LingQs from the text up to 18 words/128 characters and they will show up in your srs review.

But that would apply only to the LingQ’ed phrase itself, right? Not to the source sentence where that LingQ’ed phrase comes from, am I right?

In essence, what I would like to get in the SRS reviews is relevant contextual information to avoid things like:

In this particular example, you can pick the right word, but very often the sentence is so truncated that it makes it very difficult to know the right choice:

Let alone see the word used in a relevant sentence, which is part of the learning process and, as far as I know, the whole LingQ concept.

These restrictions on fragments are imposed by the LingQ platform, am I right? Thanks!

When you create a LINGQ normally it saves that 9 word fragment. If you LINGQ through my auto LINGQ feature(todays patch) it will save up to 13 words

Great. I’m going to try it. Thanks!

Catastrophic Bug Fix for MasterLingQ → Update

Premium

for 1.161
Further bug fix for the native language implementation. Some users were returning ‘English’ instead of ‘en’ causing catastrophic errors. Likely affecting other languages too.
The change will happen automatically when you install this update, no further action required.

Free

for 1.21
Further bug fix for the native language implementation. Some users were returning ‘English’ instead of ‘en’ causing catastrophic errors. Likely affecting other languages too.
The change will happen automatically when you install this update, no further action required.

Suggestion/Feature request: Feeding a dedicated lesson with sentences picked here and there.

Scenario: Let’s assume I’m reading an article or I’m listening to a radio show and I come across a word/phrase I want to lingq. If I’m not mistaken, to do that, I need to either a) import the whole article/transcription into Lingq and take it from there (linq the word/phrase manually or use your extension); or b) import the sentence as vocabulary by using the CSV method.

Shortcomings: If you are interested in just one word/sentence, both a) and b) are rather cumbersome and involve processing too much data.

Feature request: Adding an import feature to continually and quickly feed a dedicated lesson with sentences picked outside the Lingq environment, so that we can open that lesson later to lingq the relevant words/phrases. Something like a historical clipboard of interesting sentences containing useful, lingqable words/sentences.

2 Likes

Hi Rooster,

The installation process is confusing for me, but I managed to load the unpacked extensions and I get errors about the manifest file being deprecated… both for Rooster Master LingQ 1.164 and the netflix tool, neither of which become available in the toolbar.

Also the youtube extension won’t load… it says:
~/Documents/RoosterMasterLingQPremium1164/RoosterYoutubeLingQ
ErrorManifest file is missing or unreadable
Could not load manifest.

I loaded it separately… maybe it just loads as part of the Rooster Master LingQ?

Also Transcribe gives this error: ‘host_permissions’ requires manifest version of at least 3.

This is so fiddly… :frowning:

I’ll keep trying but not even sure how to determine the installation of all tools is complete…

help!

@lijou

Sounds like you’re having a difficult time!

Most addons are included with the Master LingQ manifest (Including Youtube Tools), i’ve noted all the separate installs in the Readme.

The errors you noted for host_permissions is just a warning and not really an error.

If you have loaded the addon, just open up Youtube/LingQ

If still having trouble, check out the first few seconds of the Firefox video at the top or see this link by JPP

This is a cool idea, to just keep appending user highlighted selections from all over the internet to the same LingQ lesson. I’ll have a go

1 Like

I also think this would be a great option!

1 Like

@malaga.1979 @Erik8970

Should have this feature out in a few hours

I have reinstalled the extensions in chrome, should I be using firefox instead? I have successfully installed them on firefox but as a temporary add-on that dissappears when I quit firefox… can’t see how to load the add-on permanently from file. Your video only shows the temp method.

the pop-ups work in chrome but I cannot seem to be able to create a LingQ from youtube or netflix… they open the settings pop-up for the languages etc but when I click on a word in the subtitles it brings up a translation and I can’t seem to anything else… I tried logging into LingQ from your pop-up and it. takes me out of netflix and onto lingQ but that doesn’t help…
so…
-do I need to import as a lesson first?
-Where do I find the lesson or course ID?

These extensions look really very useful but the learning curve is so steep!

• I find the videos are not so helpful because they go too fast, I can see the features being used but not quite sure how some of the windows are made to pop-up…
  • a step by step introduction would be amazing for these extensions and make them accessible for those of us who are not overly familiar with browser extensions and how they can overlay LingQ and YouTube/Netflix/ Disney, etc.

thanks, I am looking forward to being able to use this fluently!

Hi Julio

The LingQ attachment on the Video Extensions currently only work on Firefox. It will be coming to Chrome in near future. Other MasterLingQ features will work on Chrome.

I’m working on a solution for this

The ‘Courses’ Button will populate the information you need when on Firefox. The Login to LingQ will turn into ‘Create Lesson’ as well.

I’ll add this to the to-do list.

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Rooster, New Lingq user here. I’ve been using Lingq for about two weeks now. I was just looking at your enhancement tool and it looks interesting and useful for Netflix, Disney, etc. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. I was wondering if you had any plans to create a Lingq overlay for Plex web.

@sows.stouts_0q

Great to see you active and getting familiar with LingQ!

I didn’t know about plex web but gave it a quick look. The subtitles are open which makes development fairly straightforward. My only concern is their seems to be a limited amount of subtitle options, which would make providing translation pairs difficult.

I changed my language settings to Finnish and still only see English options. Let me know if i’m doing something wrong with this website.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll move to firefox

1 Like