Next LingQ Downgrade: Dark Mode in Lessons not available any more - only some background colors

Dear LingQ-Team,

Apparently you have decided to implement another downgrade (after the statistics downgrade). For lessons, the dark mode is not available any more. There is some choice between background colors but no real dark mode.

It would have been possible - and should still be possible - to provide a choice among the background colors that would be similar or at least close to the previously available dark mode.

LingQ is a great tool. I sincerely hope that you will continue to positively develope it rather than adding more downgrades.

18 Likes

I also prefer the completely dark background, I hope it’s just a bug to be fixed soon and not intended to work as such.

9 Likes

Where is the dark mode? That bright white background doesn’t work for me-- too much glare.

4 Likes

same i hope its just a bug because it looked better to me

4 Likes

I just want to be able to distinguish the word status 1 - 5 based on their color. In the current state I only see highlighted words, if the background is dark. In a light background I don’t see the difference between, learning, and known, let alone the difference between status 1, 2, 3, or 5. (4 has retained it’s underlining).

In the old setup I could at least recognize new words in dark. Now that is gone too.

Please return this setup to a workable state.

4 Likes

Yeah, very bad surprise this morning for my first session of the day. In it’s current state on desktop, it’s barely useable for me. The ios app has not changed (yet?), let’s hope it’s just a website bug…

5 Likes

Hmm. I still see it in dark mode. The option is still available in settings as well

I also use lingQ exclusively in dark mode, I hope this doesn’t go away.

2 Likes

the background color setting is almost a dark mode but the word colors are still too bright

6 Likes

highlight way too bright and the fact that(unless I missed a setting somewhere) you end up with black text on a black background

3 Likes

It looks like they updated the dark color to match the system color on accident.

DARK MODE - CSS COLORS

SYSTEM COLORS - SAME AS DARK MODE?

Opening the CSS file and the values are the same for both styles.

System Theme

Dark Theme

I could inject something to bring it back, but not sure what the original values are :frowning:

edit: I see there is a new reader colors menu, it needs the original dark option and some of the highlights are messed up

7 Likes

I also have the same problem. The highlight function for unknown words is completely gone as shown in the screenshot. And it only displays white theme in lessons.

3 Likes

Thank you! If LingQ are not paying you salary, they really should start doing that.

I hope they still intend to do some refinement of the colour scheme. With this settings panel I’ve managed to get something tolerable, but way worse than it was just yesterday. Especially the side panel looks awful.

4 Likes

Cancelling my subscription from this month on, it’s borderline unusable atm. The highlighted phrases are completely unreadable when selected, and show up not highlighted otherwise. As if whoever that worked on this update didn’t have literally anything else to do than trying to fix what wasn’t broken (well, some highlighting was still bugged, like the ‘‘4’’ one not being underlined and showing up underlined after marked as known, but that hasn’t changed either so idk what was this degenerate update for).

2 Likes

I wonder how this got shipped. Wasn’t it tested? It’s an abomination. Can barely read anything, Jesus!

4 Likes

In Light Mode (Windows 10 / Brave) the selection highlighting is dark grey, making it difficult though not impossible to read the black text.

2 Likes

Have you tried changing the settings?

Distinguishing new (blue) words from yellow ones and known ones still works for me.

3 Likes

Also not a big fan of the sidebar color schemes, dark text on grey, and light text on bright background.

6 Likes

We are looking into this at the moment and we will have it improved soon.

10 Likes

Hello LingQ Engineer,

I am just adding one more input to the Dark Mode issue.
In Dark Mode, I can’t see the “flash card” at all. see screenshot.

I am referring the “black” boxes on the screen.

5 Likes

Ahhh my eyes! :see_no_evil:
Todays lingq session was painful. Hope it’s fixed by tomorrow! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes