Next LingQ Downgrade: Dark Mode in Lessons not available any more - only some background colors

Unfortunately, no. It did not help. I changed the setting as you indicated, but it made no difference. I wonder what else could be influencing the background colors as you are able to discern known, and learning. I can only see whether a word is highlighted as status 1 - 4, if I choose blue as background color for the lesson. The highlighted fields are however always white. In other words, no difference in background color of the learning words (or unknown words). I really hope I can get this solved as it makes using lesson so uncomfortable. Before this sudden change, I could see where the new words and to be learnt words were in one go, just looking it over. Now, only in blue I can see something is highlighted, not whether it is new.

I so hope I can get this sorted!

4 Likes

Hi, I just want to provide constructive feedback. Iā€™m using chrome on mac, and the dark mode isnā€™t working at all although it did previously. Additionally, I have only regular text showing without anything highlighted or colored, so itā€™s much like reading a book. Everything still works on my phone app, so Iā€™ll use that for now.

3 Likes

Yes, bring back dark mode, please.

6 Likes

I also prefer dark mode with the way it highlighted the words. I donā€™t really mind the current system but it doesnā€™t seem to highlight ā€œlevel 3ā€ (familiar words) anymore. I created phrases manually and put them as familiar but now I donā€™t see them highlighted with the current update.

Other than that Iā€™m still hopeful that the Lingq staff members will fix these issues and make Lingq a real beast of an app. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Just wanted to chime in that Iā€™ve been refreshing these threads every day since dark mode was broken, hoping for good news. The alternatives suggested under the ā€œAaā€ options, do not have a dark mode equivalent and are much more difficult to see / distinguish between the different levels of LingQs.

8 Likes

Itā€™s honestly impressive how bad it isā€¦ Day two and Iā€™m shocked at how much motivation Iā€™ve lost because of this. Cā€™mon LingQ, just give it the olā€™ Ctrl+Z and weā€™ll forget this ever happened! :handshake::sweat_smile:

13 Likes

This is unfortunately my experience as well. This change needs to be reverted.

If youā€™re going to add a full custom theme designer, then fine. But no option for a fully black background is just awful. Please just put it back so we can use it again.

6 Likes

This is brilliant UI work. Just brilliant.

9 Likes

I agree with the above. This change has been annoying, and the lack of reversion is frustrating. But, I have at least figured out a temporary workaround. Using Chromeā€™s devtools, I can set the variables for --readerGlobalBackground and --readerWidgetBoxBackground to var(--grey-neutral) and var(--grey-lighter), respectively. Itā€™s not perfect. In particular, this doesnā€™t change the colors of the words, though that can be done in a similar way. And I have to do this every time I open a lesson. But itā€™s better than the way it is now.

If the LingQ dev team doesnā€™t revert back to the old color scheme soon, I may have to create a Chrome Extension to do this automatically for me. I really hope it doesnā€™t come to that.

5 Likes

About a year ago when I first started using LingQ I wanted this exact feature, themes (different color palettes for lingqs, backgrounds etc). At the time, I was considering using Arc Browser for it. In their ads, I saw the ability to remove some ui elements, changing color or fonts of said elements, etc. Hereā€™s a bit old article about it. I just wanted stripped down version of a reader with translation. Never got to experiment with this browser myself (cuz if windows10), but in this situation, it can be a temporary solution, in a way, simillar to @joncromartieā€™s .

2 Likes

I just want to chime with dislike of the new dark mode background colour, itā€™s actually quite distracting for me because itā€™s more saturated than I like, and with the vibrant yellow for lingqs, it actually hurts my eyes somewhat because of the ā€˜vibrationā€™ between the colours.

I wish we could have an option to just switch back to how it looked before, it was easier to focus on words.

9 Likes

Another example of the terrible.

Highlight makes it black text on a deep purple background.

There is nothing good about this dark mode change. Only inconvenience, annoyance and distraction from learning.

Roll it back.

7 Likes

Man, that is so clever. Totally cool.

I hope this gets fixed soon. Some people get bad headaches from staring at bright screens (i.e. not dark mode).

1 Like

Sorry everyone, we will have this improved soon.

5 Likes

Does the LingQ team not use source code management?

Why not roll back the live version to the one which worked before things were broken, then set up a work branch where the feature is successfully coded and tested, then merged back into the master branch for live release?

This way users donā€™t have to work with a broken app while LingQ gets the new code right.

This has been standard practice for decades.

As a retired programmer, I know itā€™s a bit of extra work, but in the long run it is more efficient for development and much more friendly to users.

5 Likes

I am sure they do.

Maybe itā€™s an upgrade that rollback is not possible, e.g., a database schema upgrade with 10 extra days of production data; imagine all the delta data migration if rollbackā€¦

1 Like

Hello Guys,
I have switched back to the dark mode, and it looks different but seems to be functional.

1 Like

I had to play around with the settings as I had changed them during all of this, but I think I was finally able to get back to what I had by selecting the white and black circle to the far right in the ā€œAaā€ dropdown

and then selecting the default dark theme highlight style under Settings.

2 Likes

I have not seen a single rollback in the 4 years that I was with Lingq as a user. I know I have requested it occasionally. Usually such a request remains without response. @jt23 is right. From the outside it seems Lingq is not using source code management.

About database restore, I remember Lingq threw away a German lesson in a sweeping action and was not able to restore it, because the backup was only a partial backup. Then they asked users to check if they had backed up the lessons and that is how the lessons got restored. They had not tested their backups.

2 Likes

Not sure this might help others, but I managed to get the dark mode back in the Reader mode by switching back and forth between ā€˜Systemā€™ and ā€˜Darkā€™ mode in the General settings.

2 Likes