LingQ 5 for Web launched!

Have you tried some of the other highlighting options? The Foreground mode option in dark mode sounds like it might work for you. You can find these in Reader Settings.

1. Thanks, we’ll look into that. It does seem like H works to centre the cursor in the input field. Are you using the sidebar open or closed?
  2. We do try to include a good quality male and female option where available. Korean is not as easy to come by but thanks for pointing it out. We’ll see what we can do.
  3. You can complete your streak targets by earning coins. 13 LingQs will almost certainly still earn you enough coins. You can learn more by going to the Knowledge Base article on earning Coins. https://lingq.wixanswers.com/kb/en/article/how-to-earn-coins-and-what-to-do-with-them.

I tried it both ways (open and closed) didn’t work either way

It’s buggy so far… I added a new lesson on the webpage, now I can’t open that lesson on Android. I also can’t move to the next page for some reason when doing a lesson.

am frustrated, the interface is weird, cannot see the lessons as a whole, is fragmented in sentences

There seems to be an issue with paging your first lesson. Try refreshing or opening other lessons. It seems to start working eventually and then seems ok. We are trying to understand what is happening there.

You can see the full lesson in Listening Mode now. Click to play the audio and then us the expand control to see Listening Mode which shows the full text. Not sure what you mean about sentences but I assume you know you can toggle between Page and Sentence view.

I don’t know how I missed that, yeah the foreground option is definitely a lot more visible.
Thanks!

Oh gosh, I woke up to this… I tried to read the lesson I stopped last night and nothing seems to be working. It opens the lesson not where I left, but at the start and then moving to where I left takes forever (neither the right arrow, nor moving to green point on the grey line rightwards works… :frowning:

I am using Chrome; I disabled my ad blocker…Page turn is suuuper slow and jumping to random parts of the text (green dot on grey line) still unresponsive…Oh, and I do not seem to see any blue words anymore. I tried to turn page and Lingq gives me a warning that some blue words will be marked as known, but on that page there are only yellow words. (?!) Edit: OK, so the missing blue words occur when I switch of light mode and turn on dark mode as default. When I switch light-mode on again, I can see them…However, even though dark mode is on default, the screen is still “white”…

It seems like opening and closing a few lessons and refreshing might solve the paging issue. We are trying to understand what the cause of this issue is. As for the light mode, if you prefer dark, go to General Settings and change Theme to dark.

Is there any fast way to delete like self made/imported courses? im cleaning out some of my imported courses but I sometimes get failed to remove course or successfully removed from continue studying but it seems the course is still there but with 0 lessons/words in it but just the course is empty and it wont let me delete the course folder itself? I remember in 4.0 there was a menu to pop up to mass delete courses it just had the courses listed with delete course buttons similar to in 5.0 now but without the removed from this section (idk what this means) and failed to delete course error messages and after deleted through this menu I wouldn’t see the empty folders anymore etc. Thanks again for the help! (this is on web btw) Also everything takes 2 clicks when originally it took 2, the reading per lesson cant be manually adjusted? and worked pretty well in 4.0 but is horrendous in 5.0 I’ve opened the same lesson it says I’ve read it 5.1 times i know some people complained about it not counting words read properly on 4,0 but this is definitely alot worse any updates would be fantastic (similar to 4.0 since getting a computer to properly count words of reading if someone has to exit out of the lesson for some reason etc. or if i want to look ahead or through a lesson to take a look at it then it just inflates my words of reading by alot if there was an option to turn of auto update reading it is similiar to paging to move words known feature some people love it some people hate it (it would be nice to be able to toggle it on/off)) Thanks for the updates through the process.

The box of the sidebar is too small that its contents cannot be seen in an instant way. I felt the readability of the sidebar contents is lowered.

I want to adjust the size of the sidebar to be longer in height, and delete two icons, <?> icon and icon under the sidebar.

The audio play interface should be placed top of the layout, because it covers under-area of the texts, which means it could veil the texts when the texts are long with translation displayed.

I’m bummed. I did try to be open minded about the update, I spent six hours yesterday binge reading happily on this website, but now have a massive headache after repeating trying through a single chapter.

The keyboard shortcuts keep working / then not working. The interface is very sluggish (I use chrome, but I everything is noticeably slower).

The page turning for sentence mode doesn’t work occasionally (disable adblockers, rotated through courses, refreshed the screen), so I have to switch back to paragraph (which loses my place and doesn’t have the translate function which I use to check if I missed anything).

The side panel is way too small, but having full screen mode is annoying, (I check baidu every five minutes).

The text to speech function is broken which is crucial for me since I’m learning Mandarin.

I did finally realize the light mode was probably giving me the headache, so I did switch to dark.

Don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but ugghhhhh I’m so sad. Giving up reading for today :frowning:

Also While on web 5.0 the site keeps flickering from the new library to the old layout but with the new fonts and ui color etc. If there is an option to stick with the old library layout with my lessons and courses etc but with the ui/skin/and new fonts of 5.0 that would be awesome!

I agree entirely. It is an absolute disaster on my Macbook. Chrome, Firefox, Safari - all incredibly slow and buggy.

Thanks, Mark and the LingQ team!
I´ve been waiting (im)patiently for the web version of LingQ v5.0 :slight_smile:

Having “dark mode” integrated in version 5.0 is already an improvement over v4.x.

However, anyone who wants to have more control over the dark mode settings should check out the “Dark Reader” browser extension for Firefox or Chrome.

II’ve been using it for months in both browsers and it works flawlessly on many websites (beyond LingQ). In short, I wouldn’t want to surf the WWW without it anymore :slight_smile:

Some comments on the web 5.0 version (first impressions):

• interface less intuitive
  • More clicks required to move to course
  • courses with many lessons (e.g. French RFI) open extremely slow and only bit by bit, whereas in the old version I could simply use a shortcut to get to the latest lessen it now takes much much longer to get there in multiple steps
  • in “continue studying”: sort by “Last Opened” does not work: Unfortunately neither courses nor lessons actually get actually sorted by “Last Opened”
  • apparently I still can’t save preference settings (e.g. to always show courses, not lessons) which now would be even more important since the new interface has become more sluggish (requiring more time to move around)

LingQ Reader (web 5.0 version)

• user experience much worse compared to previous version (certainly not more enjoyable as claimed by the LingQ Team)
  • panel size on the right side much too small
  • speed 0.9 not available any more (which was the only one I had used sometimes when slowing down)
  • speed 1.25 available (finally)
  • interface to change speed still horrible (only one direction by clicking multiple times)
  • waste of space on the top
  • cursor goes now from word to word - every word - instead of omitting the already known ones
  • Line Spacing: The customizing options go from very wide to extremely wide. Why not also some narrower options?

The new update grants you the ability to create audio with tts I think, so that’d be interesting

Two bugs I found this morning:

1 Blue words in Cantonese:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BwdzXhlA_qti2rPRJALnm4Q_-5w3c14G/view?usp=sharing

When selecting a blue word, that doesn’t have “community translations” the meaning flickers into existence just to disappear again.

2 In Traditional Chinese, Pinyin is not shown in the sidebar, while it is shown correctly on Simplified.
Incorrect Traditional:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GsfHxBMHIudvzS42dzJ7HASKp0voZlvA/view?usp=sharing

Correct Simplified:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAeCdK8QejJKoJvlBOTvTqwLj7Vh0BY1/view?usp=sharing

Settings for both languages are identical, i.e. Pinyin disabled. But I still expect it in the sidebar, of course.

Thanks for your efforts everyone!