Importing from YouTube is taking forever. Is it still available?

I’ve been using LingQ premium for about 30 days now and sadly the import feature for YouTube has been offline for quite a few of those days. It’s frankly the only real reason why I didn’t go for a year-long or multi-year long subscription as it is the most vital feature that LingQ offers in my opinion. I really hope it can be resolved somehow, even though I understand there are a lot of externalities at play.

All the best,
TFM

3 Likes

It is the same here. The import function from YouTube was the key reason why I signed up for LingQ, and it has been broken for weeks now.

Having spent hours trying to import videos this weekend, I give up for now and focus on other learning tools.

I have previously recommended LingQ to several friends, but I cannot do that anymore. The error rate is simply not acceptable.

4 Likes

Same issue what the F Lingq get this fixed why do you think we pay for this?

4 Likes

Stopped working for me too. I’d be glad if you can fix this.

I don’t mind that things break or don’t work from time to time. But it would be nice if you could at least inform users that there are problems and that you are working on it.

3 Likes

@zoran Considering for how long this issue persists, it might be worthwhile to consider that LingQ themselves inform users about the existing workaround.

• Download the video from YouTube.
  • Convert them to mp3.
  • Use the mp3 file to create the lesson.
  • Optional: After transcription is done, add the YouTube link in the lesson editor and delete the audio. (The latter is required so the underlining works with the video, otherwise it is only used with the audio.)

The optional step is only neccessary if you want to use the video in the lesson.

3 Likes

Obstortes’s method works well and is recommended if you don’t want to spend any money.

The premium solution is the specialized Rooster software for YouTube → LingQ. They are not free but have much better uptime than the LingQ importer.

Download, Transcribe, Import and Overlay

Bulk Download, Bulk Transcribe, Bulk Import

3 Likes

I cannot find a way to do this on iOS e.g. an iPad. Does anyone know of a suitable YouTube downloader? My guess is that the Apple store does not allow such apps as they violate copyright.

“Optional: After transcription is done, add the YouTube link…”
Thanks for that. I used a free app (OBS Studio) to save the audio from a YouTube video as an mp3, and your instructions worked great.

I’ve just imported two YT videos and they are working seamlessly. They wouldn’t import a couple of days ago. The only change I made was to disable the Language Reactor plugin. It could just be a coincidence. I’m on MS Edge.

Edit: I tried another with Auto generated subs and it’s taking a while. I do expect it to fail.

1 Like

So, I don’t know what are the real issues that making the importer not work for so long. But if we can do it manually(download video as mp3 → import it → add video link → remove the audio file), then your dev team can do exactly the same on the server side. Just saying.

4 Likes

I don’t use Apple products, so I don’t know any.

But the source code of the one I am using is freely available.
https://github.com/shaked6540/YoutubePlaylistDownloader

You could ask Señor ChatGPT how to compile that on on your hardware.

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately that suggestion is impractical.

If you are interested, here is the reason why. Prototype iOS software runs in a special mode, whereby it can be installed and used for a few weeks, after which the temporary licence expires. It then has to be rebuilt and reinstalled to allow continued use. Alternatively it can be released into the App store subject to approval from Apple and payment of an annual developer fee, which is about £100 a year. I have written iOS apps, but I’m not paying £100 a year. Unfortunately iOS is a very closed system. It’s rather irrirating, even though I love my iPhone and iPads.

You just gave me a good explanation for why I don’t use Apple products :laughing:

Don’t you have some spare non-Apple hardware lying around you can utilize - an old peach for example? :innocent:

2 Likes

I’ve been a member for two months. I signed up so I could use this feature and it’s only worked for half the time I’ve been paying. We shouldn’t have to resort to “work-arounds” for something we’re paying for. It’s time to start doing free upgrades for people or discounting their memberships.

I get it, I’m sure it’s complicated - but you all are selling this product based on it’s features - if you can’t provide them you shouldn’t be charging for them.

7 Likes

I haven’t been able to import any content for the past three weeks.

Since that is all I use Linq for, I am currently paying for a service that doesn’t work for me.

6 Likes

May I please ask if there is an ETA for fixing this importing issue? I have been accumulating lots of videos which are way too big to be imported as mp3. Thanks

3 Likes

It stopped working again last night, still not working today.

1 Like

Sorry everyone, our team is looking into this.

2 Likes

Yet again the import is broken.

It appears that no-one tests the functionality before making changes. The import feature breaks once or twice a week.

It’s the only reason that I use LINGQ.

I accept that people make mistakes, but this is continuous. It’s a real shame and makes me wonder why I pay.

7 Likes

Too many problems in too little time. I love LingQ. Really. But if I pay for a service it has to work, otherwise it makes no sense. Nobody likes to waste money. Importing from youtube is a FUNDAMENTAL key for personal study. This problem needs to be solved permanently. I feel sorry for LingQ, these constant problems discredit this important app for language learning. Please: fix it once and for all.

5 Likes