Extension: Rooster Reader for LINGQ - Autoscrolling LingQ Reader with translations

ROOSTER WEB EXTENSIONS CATALOGUE

ROOSTER READER FOR LINGQ
Browser extensions to enhance the ‘Listen View’ / Autoscroll of the LingQ reader.

ROOSTER READER FOR LINGQ (PREMIUM)

INSTALL
Rooster Reader Premium has been merged into Rooster Master LingQ Premium.

Video Tutorial with Rooster

FEATURES

Next/Previous lesson buttons
Line Highlighting
Color presets
All preferences (font/preset/mode/padding) are saved across sessions
Mode size/positions preserved across sessions
Multiple bug fixes from the Free version

PATCH NOTES V1.27

ROOSTER READER PREMIUM PATCH NOTES

ROOSTER READER FOR LINGQ (FREE)

VIDEO 1.34

LATEST PATCH NOTES

V1.37 Patch Notes

INSTALL ROOSTER READER

→ The Firefox version of Rooster Reader is the most tested and is always the most up to date.
FIREFOX & ANDROID | CHROME | EDGE | SOURCE CODE

HOW TO ACCESS

FEATURES

→ Autoscrolling LINQ Reader
→ Translations in Listen View
→ LINGQing in Listen view
→ Element customization
→ Extra translation box (This displays the same language translation) (e.g If my lesson is Finnish it displays the Finnish translation, allowing you to set an extra custom translation if you want)

9 Likes

This looks very interesting and promising to me, Roosterburton! Please develop it further. Is this extension already available?

Thanks for the support! I’ll release a first version in the next couple of days.
Are there any particular features or ease of use improvements you want added?

“Any particular features” … I don’t have the slightest idea of the possibilities. But I am sure that other lingquers who know more about the technical sides of LINGQ will react.

2 Likes

'On ya.

I know that generally bilingual readers have one text of either page, but my thoughts are that a layout, where you have to move your eyes the least distance works better. For that reason, I think a layout of English directly under the L2 would work better. With idk colouring and text sizing, the L2 could stand out more than the translation. But just my thoughts. I don’t think it would be easy to do on your end, as you are using LingQ’s lyrics mode, right?

3 Likes

but my thoughts are that a layout, where you have to move your eyes the least distance works better.

Yes I was thinking of implementing a few different layouts. Translation underneath and translation side by side would be the first priority.

Adding an extra display next to LINGQs reader was simple enough.
For the translation underneath I have some ideas but may need 30 minutes in the shower to figure out. Would involve an overlay with click through functionality or some way to mimic the clicks on the scrolling text underneath.

With idk colouring and text sizing, the L2 could stand out more than the translation.

Was also thinking to add the ability to change the text size and font of the scrolling text and translation.

I don’t think it would be easy to do on your end, as you are using LingQ’s lyrics mode, right?

Pain is my life. And yes… the /listen version of the reader

2 Likes

@roosterburton This is very interesting. Just one thing for your knowledge, I don’t use Firefox anymore with LingQ because it is usually the last browser they update if and when they do it. As far as I know, they give priority to Chrome, so they told me some month ago. I use Chrome with LingQ now, eventually Safari as backup plan.

Thanks for the info. When I get the code more finalized I’ll publish it on other browsers too.

1 Like

For that reason, I think a layout of English directly under the L2 would work better.

Totally in agreement. This feature would be awesome.

Available for Firefox and Chrome!

I’ve added this feature with more to come!

1 Like

Big patch coming for Rooster Reader Free, → Firefox will be available in a couple hours. Chrome will take a few days. Edit. Patch 1.23 is now live on Firefox, Chrome should be available in 24 hrs.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.24

NOTES
I have found a fix for Autoscroll on chrome and will be pushing the update within the hour.

Also included in this patch is a partial fix for the words counted metric.

The ‘Toggle LingQ Display’ Option now removes the frame it instead of hiding it.

This inadvertently fixes the Chrome Autoscroll problem. (Chrome has problems with multiple
window scrolling)

You can now swap the line/scroll in 2 different toggle buttons. (Combined lines is buggy and not yet implemented.)

The Chrome store will take a few days to publish the update. You can download the code manually if you want to use Chrome until then.

Basically.

1. If you want Autoscroll on Chrome → Toggle off the LingQ display
  2. If you want a fix for the words counted metric → Toggle off the LingQ display

Thanks a lot for this extension, I just tried it out and it looks to be very useful for shadowing.
A couple of thoughts:

• I needed to open the JS file to add a Chinese font. Is it possible to have a default option, using whatever is already configured in the browser settings? Currently this is overridden
  • “Meme font” vs “choose font” is confusing, it’s unclear which font is currently selected
  • can the configuration be saved, it seems to reset when reloading or opening another lesson
  • going to the /listen/ page I need to reload once first, to activate the extension
  • I’m using the “combined view” could it be wider, i.e. widescreen?
  • the App / Font / About element obscures the language / stats from LingQ
  • not sure this is possible, but maybe long-term get rid of all the floating windows and instead use the LingQ site, inject the translation between the lines and modify the look using CSS (at least for the combined view) I’m not a web developer sorry if this makes no sense.

I’m using MS Edge.

Also I get a few deprecation warnings:

No pressure to do anything, ofc. Thanks for your work.

1 Like

Great to hear. If you have some specific feature request let me know.

I’ll add this to the notes for next patch.

Honestly I didn’t even think about it. Have only been doing odd tests in-between development. I did notice that browsers take time between font reloads. I’ll need to add a callback for that so people don’t swap font and it doesn’t change. I’ll also look at the font selection menu too.

I don’t intend to add persistent configuration settings to the free version. I will make this a premium feature though.

Yes. LingQ uses AJAX or another form of navigation that doesn’t actively recognize URL changes. My solution to this was putting a timer that checks for URL changes every 1 second and adjusts the display. Unfortunately because of the current scope on Rooster Reader (just the listen page) a page refresh will be required everytime you enter. Unless you just change the lessonID in the URL.

This just gave me an idea to allow listen mode to auto play the next lesson. No page refresh would be required other than the first.

Also when the Rooster master extension is released a page refresh won’t be required as it will have permissions all the way from LingQ.com through…

Resizing does not appear to work on Chrome browser. I’m guessing the same for Microsoft Edge. The problem is related to a combination of autoscroll and things being absolute … fixed… relative…
Firefox handles the solution well but other browsers have been struggling.

Ye. I thought it was a distraction. Maybe others don’t. Ill allow the bar to be moved in the next patch.

This is definitely possible but I need to be careful because if LingQ makes any changes to their native site it would stop my code from working. My current solution for Rooster Reader premium is full screen overlay and rebuild the screen ontop. I think you will like it. Lots of features. Stay Tuned!

If it aint red it ain’t dead.

This is just lazy from me. Chrome & Edge require Manifest 3 and Firefox can still use Manifest 2 (Which is way simpler and my functions actually work with). So I just left both in and changed the number 2 to a 3 when submitting between sites.

Thanks for the feedback! It helps a lot.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.25

YOU GUYS WILL LOVE THIS PATCH

→ Rooster Reader now loads without page refresh
→ Control bar can be moved and resized
→ Chosen Font now changes font of everything except the LingQ reader.
→ WIDER screen. (Chrome users that can’t resize start with a 75% wide combined view)

COOL PICTURE IMPACT

→ Can see what font is selected and starts with browser default

DEFAULT FONT

EXAMPLE PICTURE

Launching on Firefox in 20 mins. Source code available for early Chrome users.

1 Like

Love how clean this looks!

Great work!

And I love all the movable windows! I can tuck the translation box down in the corner and glance at it when I need/want without losing a step!

1 Like

Thanks for the review @jpp025

Try out the other modes too! More to come!

1 Like

Just throwing this out there…

But would there ever be an ability to have the extension highlight two or more dialogue lines at once?

When I started using LingQ, I was surprised I could have sentences separated with translations. Still, when I had audio dialogues with multiple lines going at once, I would create the timestamps for them, but no two timestamps can be the same—even though they are two separate sentences.

For example, think of timed SRT files that end up with “-” next to sentences because two speakers speak simultaneously.

I paid attention to how LingQ treats this kind of dialogues upon import with videos that have human translations and noticed they either put multiple sentences with “-” together that happen simultaneously or separate them into multiple sentences.

So, when I want to have what multiple people are saying at the same time, I have just been including multiple sentences in one sentence slot to benefit from the audio when I have it. (I have pretty good ears, so I can parse multiple voices out enough to shadow their speech, so voice overlap is not an issue for me—for the most part.)

Could Auto-Scroll parse timestamps better than LingQs player and show me two or more highlighted lines at once/simultaneously, as long as it is timestamped as such in my lesson edits?

1 Like

I’ll add that to the premium features, if multiple lines have same timestamps they will be highlighted with bold and background light.

Thinking about this… its pretty dumb not to have this feature.

Its more that their script isn’t compatible with it… If a gun was too my head I would have it done in 6 hours.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.26

→ Translation Box and LingQ box start wider.
→ LingQ Box fits in the screen
→ Added control menu for Reader (can show translation)

Pictures

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.27

VIDEO

→ Fixed the LingQ Reader not displaying lines
→ Added extra translation box (This displays the same language translation) (e.g If my lesson is Finnish it displays the Finnish translation, allowing you to set an extra custom translation if you want)
→ Improved LingQ Box in Mini Reader