Extension: Rooster Reader for LINGQ - Autoscrolling LingQ Reader with translations

@roosterburton This is very interesting. Just one thing for your knowledge, I don’t use Firefox anymore with LingQ because it is usually the last browser they update if and when they do it. As far as I know, they give priority to Chrome, so they told me some month ago. I use Chrome with LingQ now, eventually Safari as backup plan.

Thanks for the info. When I get the code more finalized I’ll publish it on other browsers too.

1 Like

For that reason, I think a layout of English directly under the L2 would work better.

Totally in agreement. This feature would be awesome.

Available for Firefox and Chrome!

I’ve added this feature with more to come!

1 Like

Big patch coming for Rooster Reader Free, → Firefox will be available in a couple hours. Chrome will take a few days. Edit. Patch 1.23 is now live on Firefox, Chrome should be available in 24 hrs.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.24

NOTES
I have found a fix for Autoscroll on chrome and will be pushing the update within the hour.

Also included in this patch is a partial fix for the words counted metric.

The ‘Toggle LingQ Display’ Option now removes the frame it instead of hiding it.

This inadvertently fixes the Chrome Autoscroll problem. (Chrome has problems with multiple
window scrolling)

You can now swap the line/scroll in 2 different toggle buttons. (Combined lines is buggy and not yet implemented.)

The Chrome store will take a few days to publish the update. You can download the code manually if you want to use Chrome until then.

Basically.

1. If you want Autoscroll on Chrome → Toggle off the LingQ display
  2. If you want a fix for the words counted metric → Toggle off the LingQ display

Thanks a lot for this extension, I just tried it out and it looks to be very useful for shadowing.
A couple of thoughts:

• I needed to open the JS file to add a Chinese font. Is it possible to have a default option, using whatever is already configured in the browser settings? Currently this is overridden
  • “Meme font” vs “choose font” is confusing, it’s unclear which font is currently selected
  • can the configuration be saved, it seems to reset when reloading or opening another lesson
  • going to the /listen/ page I need to reload once first, to activate the extension
  • I’m using the “combined view” could it be wider, i.e. widescreen?
  • the App / Font / About element obscures the language / stats from LingQ
  • not sure this is possible, but maybe long-term get rid of all the floating windows and instead use the LingQ site, inject the translation between the lines and modify the look using CSS (at least for the combined view) I’m not a web developer sorry if this makes no sense.

I’m using MS Edge.

Also I get a few deprecation warnings:

No pressure to do anything, ofc. Thanks for your work.

1 Like

Great to hear. If you have some specific feature request let me know.

I’ll add this to the notes for next patch.

Honestly I didn’t even think about it. Have only been doing odd tests in-between development. I did notice that browsers take time between font reloads. I’ll need to add a callback for that so people don’t swap font and it doesn’t change. I’ll also look at the font selection menu too.

I don’t intend to add persistent configuration settings to the free version. I will make this a premium feature though.

Yes. LingQ uses AJAX or another form of navigation that doesn’t actively recognize URL changes. My solution to this was putting a timer that checks for URL changes every 1 second and adjusts the display. Unfortunately because of the current scope on Rooster Reader (just the listen page) a page refresh will be required everytime you enter. Unless you just change the lessonID in the URL.

This just gave me an idea to allow listen mode to auto play the next lesson. No page refresh would be required other than the first.

Also when the Rooster master extension is released a page refresh won’t be required as it will have permissions all the way from LingQ.com through…

Resizing does not appear to work on Chrome browser. I’m guessing the same for Microsoft Edge. The problem is related to a combination of autoscroll and things being absolute … fixed… relative…
Firefox handles the solution well but other browsers have been struggling.

Ye. I thought it was a distraction. Maybe others don’t. Ill allow the bar to be moved in the next patch.

This is definitely possible but I need to be careful because if LingQ makes any changes to their native site it would stop my code from working. My current solution for Rooster Reader premium is full screen overlay and rebuild the screen ontop. I think you will like it. Lots of features. Stay Tuned!

If it aint red it ain’t dead.

This is just lazy from me. Chrome & Edge require Manifest 3 and Firefox can still use Manifest 2 (Which is way simpler and my functions actually work with). So I just left both in and changed the number 2 to a 3 when submitting between sites.

Thanks for the feedback! It helps a lot.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.25

YOU GUYS WILL LOVE THIS PATCH

→ Rooster Reader now loads without page refresh
→ Control bar can be moved and resized
→ Chosen Font now changes font of everything except the LingQ reader.
→ WIDER screen. (Chrome users that can’t resize start with a 75% wide combined view)

COOL PICTURE IMPACT

→ Can see what font is selected and starts with browser default

DEFAULT FONT

EXAMPLE PICTURE

Launching on Firefox in 20 mins. Source code available for early Chrome users.

1 Like

Love how clean this looks!

Great work!

And I love all the movable windows! I can tuck the translation box down in the corner and glance at it when I need/want without losing a step!

1 Like

Thanks for the review @jpp025

Try out the other modes too! More to come!

1 Like

Just throwing this out there…

But would there ever be an ability to have the extension highlight two or more dialogue lines at once?

When I started using LingQ, I was surprised I could have sentences separated with translations. Still, when I had audio dialogues with multiple lines going at once, I would create the timestamps for them, but no two timestamps can be the same—even though they are two separate sentences.

For example, think of timed SRT files that end up with “-” next to sentences because two speakers speak simultaneously.

I paid attention to how LingQ treats this kind of dialogues upon import with videos that have human translations and noticed they either put multiple sentences with “-” together that happen simultaneously or separate them into multiple sentences.

So, when I want to have what multiple people are saying at the same time, I have just been including multiple sentences in one sentence slot to benefit from the audio when I have it. (I have pretty good ears, so I can parse multiple voices out enough to shadow their speech, so voice overlap is not an issue for me—for the most part.)

Could Auto-Scroll parse timestamps better than LingQs player and show me two or more highlighted lines at once/simultaneously, as long as it is timestamped as such in my lesson edits?

1 Like

I’ll add that to the premium features, if multiple lines have same timestamps they will be highlighted with bold and background light.

Thinking about this… its pretty dumb not to have this feature.

Its more that their script isn’t compatible with it… If a gun was too my head I would have it done in 6 hours.

1 Like

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.26

→ Translation Box and LingQ box start wider.
→ LingQ Box fits in the screen
→ Added control menu for Reader (can show translation)

Pictures

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.27

VIDEO

→ Fixed the LingQ Reader not displaying lines
→ Added extra translation box (This displays the same language translation) (e.g If my lesson is Finnish it displays the Finnish translation, allowing you to set an extra custom translation if you want)
→ Improved LingQ Box in Mini Reader

Rooster Reader Patch 1.28

VIDEO
→ Starts in wide screen LingQ reader. Toggle translation on/off as you please.
→ Toggle other modes as normal

Patch 1.29

→ The LingQ Reader is still dropping lines. I need to spend more time investigating it. We now start in the combined view, I have done some basic fixes to it. Centered the lines and made the box basically full screen.

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.30

Bug Fixes Patch!
→ Fix for last line not showing
→ Added support for SENTENCES. (Now bolds and scrolls with the sentences not just paragraph headers).
→ If using Chrome remember to Toggle off LingQ display in App setings menu to use the auto scroll feature

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.31

→ More bug fixes!
→ Toggle LingQ Mode now toggles the display on off
→ Chrome now Autoscrolls!
→ LingQ Reader still drops lines but if you toggle with it… it can fix the problem

NOTE: Rooster Reader Free will be receiving 1-2 more patches before it is moved to completed.

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.32
→ Added new mode (Combined Lines)
→ More bug fixes and testing on CHROME

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.33
→ Combined lines starts same size as combined scroll
→ Fix translation being in the wrong spot for combined lines

VIDEO using ALL FEATURES

ROOSTER READER PATCH 1.34
→ Small bug fix, combined lines was time-stamping 1 line up.

This patch will be live on Chrome by 10th September. Live on Firefox immediately.

Rooster Reader Free is now complete.

Lots of exciting features coming to Rooster Reader premium, stay posted for dev notes.

ROOSTER READER PREMIUM PATCH 1.10
I’ve been working on the first few features of Rooster Reader Premium. These are the first steps of a much larger process. Install link is available on the main Rooster Web Extensions

→ Added Next/Previous lessons if available
→ Opens Next/Previous with video if you are watching the video

→ Display Mode preference is saved in local storage. (Always opens to your last used mode)
→ fixed combined lines again… Works good now!
→ Added Resizing to the Video Box

ROOSTER READER PREMIUM PATCH 1.11 & 1.12
Big patch for Rooster Reader Premium!

VIDEO

THEME SELECT
→ Choose between 2 Themes (Finland & Japan)* MORE COMING SOON
→ Theme preference saved between sessions

LINE HIGHLIGHTING
→ Added line highlighting and toggle
→ Line highlighting preference is saved between sessions

AUTO TRANSLATE
→ Merged auto translate into Rooster Reader.
→ Auto translate no longer freezes the screen and is 50% faster
→ Refreshes the display when finished

ROOSTER READER PREMIUM PATCH 1.13

→ Fixed highlights on combined lines replace mode
→ Fixed colors on second translation box
→ Added LingQ Display back (woops)
→ Font family/size/line padding are saved between sessions
→ Line replacement and second translation box now only highlight current line
→ Fixed padding for all modes (Now properly shrinks/expands as expected)

Rooster Reader Premium early-access is available to supporters of ROOSTER

1 Like

ROOSTER READER FREE PATCH 1.35 - 1.38
Rooster Reader Free reclassified as complete as of 1.38

→ Fixed combined lines/line replacement autoscroll after drag add…

→ Firefox for Android support added

→ Bug fix for Autoscroll position after Drag Handles and resize added

→ Fixed Resizing for Reader Display on Chrome/Edge
→ Fixed Resizing for Mode Display on Chrome/Edge
→ Fixed consistent Autoscroll on Reader display
→ Add drag handles to Reader box
→ Add drag handles to mode boxes

ROOSTER READER PREMIUM PATCH 1.14-1.21

→ Fixed Drag handles and Font updating for all modes, Added Reset to original settings button.

→ Fixed combined lines/line replacement autoscroll after drag add…

→ Fixed Resizing for Reader Display on Chrome/Edge
→ Fixed consistent Autoscroll on Reader display
→ Add drag handles to Reader box

→ Mode Resizing issue has been fixed on Chrome/Edge
→ Add drag handles to mode boxes

→ Floating UI Menus no longer resets when you change modes
→ Floating UI Menus now maintain their position / size between sessions (Set up own custom UI)
→ Autoscroll modes (The main box in each mode) maintain their own size / position between sessions.

→ Fixed font size / padding persistence issues
→ Individual line sliders now update with the ZOOM slider
→ Added Display settings
→ Moved each Reader Mode to its own button
→ Minor styling fixes for the floating menus
→ Translation line colors added to presets
→ 2 New Color themes (Old book and Night)

1 Like

This is also another great walkthrough on accessing the listening mode that Rooster Reader for LingQ activated in:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @chama1977

Rooster Reader Premium V1.23/4
→ New Mode: Rooster Elements
→ This mode takes influence from the Video Tools overlay
→ Access by Clicking Mode Settings → Rooster Elements. Your mode preference is also saved for next lesson.

1.24 → Bug fix for auto scroll position and line highlighting

Also works on Chrome

1 Like