Extension: Rooster Lesson Extractor - ZIP and DOWNLOAD LingQ Lessons

ROOSTER WEB EXTENSIONS CATALOGUE

ROOSTER LESSON EXTRACTOR FOR LINGQ
Browser extensions to download related lesson content.

ROOSTER LESSON EXTRACTOR FOR LINGQ (PREMIUM TBA)

After DONATING send me a message for access → PREMIUM EXTRACTOR SOURCE CODE

DEVELOPMENT NOTES

• Fixed bug preventing Zipping if lesson name had non standard characters

• Added Extra translation languages to the ZIP
  • Added more lesson data to the ZIP
  • Improved Lesson ZIP download structure. (Created sub folders, renamed files after the lesson)

• Added subtitles in .vtt/.srt format in the lesson ZIP
  • Added complete word data to the lesson ZIP
  • Zip files are now named as the lesson title
  • Bug fix for new word card data collection in long lessons

1.12 → .
1.11 → Bug fix for Firefox Developer Version
1.10 → Audio fragments of each sentence

PLANNED PREMIUM FEATURES

→ Audio fragments of each sentence
→ ZIP folder structure incorporating lesson details
→ Text Fragments as ANKI cards
→ Improved ANKI structure and more styles
→ Uncapped word limit

ROOSTER LESSON EXTRACTOR FOR LINGQ (FREE)

LATEST PATCH

Details

PICTURE AND VIDEO EXAMPLES

VIDEO V1.10
New words displayed in table format

Lesson Audio/Picture/Text/Translation/Timestamps and Anki Cards of new words are downloaded.

BASICS | FEATURES | LIMITS

BASICS
→ Open any lesson → Click Extract → Download ZIP Button

FEATURES
→ Gathers Audio/Timestamps/Sentences/Translations/Youtube of the lesson
→ Creates ANKI cards based on new words in the lesson (Without LingQing them)
→ ZIPS everything together for easy lesson editing.

LIMITS:
→ Anki Cards cap of 1000 unique words per lesson.

INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE

INSTALL
→ This addon is not approved in Manifest V3.
→ If you want to use this in a different browser you will need to manually install the source code.
→ Firefox can’t ZIP Audio/Img, Manually install on Chrome if you need these.
FIREFOX | ROOSTER LESSON EXTRACTOR SOURCE CODE

4 Likes

It seems to me that with the extension that you created, you are greatly augmenting the possibilities of LINGQ, Roosterburton.
But your posts are too technical to me, and if I understand it well, the system that you created is not yet completed.
When it is all finished, a simple user’s guide intended for people with less technical knowledge would be welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks for your support @benscheelings. I never intended to do this but right now I have time and a decent enough skill-set to make it a reality.

Many of the extensions are good to go! I’m providing development updates according to the schedule on the main page. There are more extensions coming in the future for the different ideas that people wanted.

You are free to try any of the individual extensions. (Reader/Observer/Extractor/AutoLingQ etc…) Currently they are only implemented on Chrome and Firefox. You can install them by clicking the link on the main forum post.

If the addons aren’t showing up for you on LingQ and you’re on the right page that uses it try refreshing the page.

I’ll make this a priority! Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Hi @roosterburton,

I really like the idea for this, but used in a bit of a different way. I want to share in case anything pops out as interesting to you:

Selecting select words/sentences/sentence fragments (like slag/sayings that are more than one word) and exporting to Anki:

Korean, with its many word endings and combinations that are treated as separate words by LingQ, would result in too many Anki cards that would quickly reach the cap.

Allowing a selection of words (I’m thinking of a multi-select type window to pick the words/sentences you want the extension to extract.)

Additionally, I would love to make Anki cards out of the sentences and sentence audio (given timestamps that are already set to play the audio of a sentence properly).

This would allow for more listening practice/comprehension style learning through anki for sentences. For example, one could play the audio on the front of an Anki card and have the sentence in their Target Language (TL) on the back. Or have the audio with the TL sentence on the front with the translation: 1) Direct Translation and 2) Human Translation.

Being able to zip these if it reaches past a certain point (kind of like how Gdrive zips files if you select a certain number/amount — not sure exactly how that works, just know it happens — would be great, too:

• anki_cards.csv / Excel file
  • sentence/word audio
  • deck_image.jpg
  • Sentence.txt
  • timestamps.txt
  • Translation.txt

Note: For the “sentence/word audio” that I’m thinking of, would this be more of a premium feature and is this similar to what you mean by “Audio fragments of each sentence” under the Premium Features toggle?

These would be separate audio files for whatever sentence/word was selected. I would use this feature only for sentences, but someone might want to create Anki cards with words as you show in the pictures—but with selected words (for this specific idea I’m thinking of).

P.S. You can do some pretty interesting things with an Excel file and Anki, allowing a little more user flexibility.

Again, just some thoughts! Feel free to ignore if you don’t find any of this helpful for what you’re going for for this extension!

Thanks for reading! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @jpp025

That’s what the feedback forum is for!

Good Idea, build custom Anki deck based on stuff in the lesson.

I have this planned. There will be more options for the Anki card creation and formatting

I like Anki because its kind of in your face and telling you that you have 480 things to review today.

Ye Audio fragments of each lesson sentence will be included. Also ability to select parts of the text you want included as a card.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. I’m not an Anki wiz yet, but I’m working on it.

I also noticed this has the same korean fragments problem as the other scripts so will fix that in next update.

1 Like

For premium, would this include being able to pick TTS voices? Both for if you want to export the original audio and the TTS? Or would this be paired with the Premium Text editor for optimal experience in that regard?

I could see an instance for exporting:

• TTS only to Anki
  • Original audio
  • Original Audio & TTS
1 Like

You’re full of ideas @jpp025

It just adds incentive to give me money right?

This project is still on the backburner but should get some love eventually. Send me a message with your g-mail address and i’ll add you to early access Lesson Editor premium.

ROOSTER LESSON EXTRACTOR PATCH 1.1
→ Added Firefox Support (No audio/Img but all the text info)
→ Added combined text (sentence on top/translation underneath with a 1 line gap between blocks)
→ Added button to the Nav

Pictures

1 Like