Extension: Rooster Amazon Tools for LingQ - Language Learning on Amazon Prime

ROOSTER WEB EXTENSIONS

ROOSTER AMAZON TOOLS FOR LINGQ
Extra features for language learners when watching videos on Amazon Prime.
(WITH PATCH 1.78 YOU NEED TO UPDATE THE TAMPERMONKEY SCRIPT)

Amazon Tools are included in Master LingQ Premium
INSTALL VIDEO

Rooster Amazon Tools (Premium) (FIREFOX Exclusive)

• After purchasing MasterLingQ or Amazon Tools from SendOwl you will be sent an email automatically from me with your license code. If you paid via donation I will generate and send a code to you manually.

INSTALL INFORMATION

INSTALL VIDEO

Amazon Prime uses a different mechanism than Youtube/Netflix to retrieve their subtitles. Unfortunately they have managed to hide their subtitles by placing them in a different scope of data. We need to utilize a tool like TamperMonkey which allows greater control of webpage manipulation. You will still need to install the Amazon Prime Tools Extension in conjunction.

Instructions to Install Tampermonkey and Rooster Subtitles script

(Instructions for Disney - same for Amazon Prime)
Install TamperMonkey
Copy and paste the script located inside subtitlesAmazon.js (In the ZIP folder)

Save the Script

Enable the script

EXTRA INFO
Supported website variations

"https://*.amazon.com/*",
"https://*.amazon.de/*",
"https://*.amazon.co.uk/*",
"https://*.amazon.co.jp/*",
"https://*.primevideo.com/*"
2 Likes

This one doesn’t seem to work for TV shows. I get the following errors when trying this with Deutschland 83:

Error: Button not found after waiting
TypeError: can’t access property “forEach”, i is undefined

Thanks for the report, It does seem to be possible. I’ve just made an error in the code. Ill try fix this tonight.

Have fixed the problem, will run some extra checks accross movies/tv shows make sure it all works

2nd edit: Fixed in new Master LingQ patch

2 Likes

Amazon Prime Tools 1.78

Series Importer
Import an Amazon TV Show season to LingQ.

Amazon Prime Tools 1.45

Multiple language import and overlay now available

1 Like

I recently purchased Master Lingq Premium, thank you for all the work you’ve done! I am using Amazon Tools to import a lesson into LingQ, which works great for the subtitles. I have two questions:

• Is there any way to import the audio from Amazon Prime? (Sorry if I missed this.)
  • There are major differences between what is spoken in the Hebrew audio and the content of the Hebrew subtitles (apparently Amazon Prime does these separately). Do you have any suggestions for how to improve this? E.g. would it be worth trying some sort of speech-to-text instead of using the imported subtitles? The best case would be for an AI to attempt to correct the subtitles based on the audio, not sure that tech exists though.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey mate, thanks for your purchase and comments.

The audio files are available although they are unfortunately DRM locked. There are external solutions to that problem that you can look into but they are usually not simple or free.
I’ve heard Audible is good if you want to record playback, you could then transcribe it yourself using the LingQ importer. (And re-overlay onto Rooster tools, if you like)

The difference between the spoken and written subtitles are unfortunate and should be addressed by the streaming provider. There is an option to generate audio which you can use to dub the subtitles although the quality can be significantly lower.

1 Like

Thanks. I think you meant Audacity for recording playback? I tried that and it worked great. Lingq gave an error though when I tried to import the audio for transcription, so I tried a few online AI audio-to-speech engines. Most of them were terrible, but Amazon AWS works remarkably well. Yes, there are errors, but not many. So I’m good!

1 Like

Right. Great that it worked.

You probably need to convert the file to mp3 first. (It may also be a pseudo mp3 file)

finding the best model for any language can be a challenge.

A quick google search came up with this

1 Like

Im having an issue with TV series - im using series download function and whatever episode I open the rooster overlay has the subtitles for the first episode of the series.

Screenshot shows the difference between the actual subtitle track and the overlay hopefully

The same happens when I open an episode individuall rather than the series option. It happens for me in both firefox and firefox developer. Ive also tried various combinations of the extensions (i.e. with and with

out the official Lingq extension, with and without the master rooster/just the amazon tools).

Im trying to use amazon as I still havent sorted the glitches on netflix - is it possible that the overlays just dont work the same with mac?

1 Like

@jodye

Are you clicking the Load episode with Rooster Tools button?
A page refresh might be required between episodes. Or you could use ``Use LingQ Text` setting and select the lesson from the dropdown.

I noticed that split lessons using the series importer aren’t adding properly. I’ll have a look at that.

For the Netflix issue, did you clear your browser cache? I think your issue is related to a previous install. Another thing it could be is your location settings (if using a VPN)

Edit: I think the version of Amazon Tools you are using is quite dated too

1 Like

Yes, Im clicking ‘load episode with rooster tools’ button. But havent tried use linq text will try that when Im back online properly later.

Im not sure what the version of amazon tools looks dated - its from yesterday’s update you emailed out and I download? (including re-coping the script into Tampermonkey as I wasnt sure if this changed every time).

On netflix I emptied the cache, I tried using a private window, restarted many times extra. I dont use a VPN and dont need to link Linq with netflix badly enough to pay for one! I am just watching it with normal french subtitles instead and then manually adding listen time. I miss the look up function though hence why I looked for a series with both french audio and french subtitles available in UK on amazon.

1 Like

I am convinced it is your browsers fault. If you installed yesterdays update and the screenshot you provided is current there is no reason for it to be 7+ patches behind other than a browser cache issue. Also the Tampermonkey scripts don’t need to be regularly updated. I’ll make an announcement if that is the case.

Have you tried using the new Netflix Chrome extension? If that works as expected then that will confirm it.

1 Like