Where to find good content to import

Perhaps we could have a resources forum with different topics for different languages, and people can just add resources when they find them.

We had a google document with suggestions one or two years ago. The problem was
a) it was not implemented into the system, and newcomers didnā€™t notice it
b) people add poor sources (for example it occured to me that in the German table were some resources created and spoken by non-native speakers and a lot of mistakes)

I agree it needs to be incorporated within the LingQ system. Threads like this just disappear once people stop updating them.

German:

http://www.zeit.de/index

English
http://www.theamericanstoryteller.com/stories/
It costs about a dollar to download audio and transcript of one of those stories. Itā€™s too bad.
But stories and voice of the narrator is very nice.

speeches in English

I wonder why you didnā€™t add my suggestions for German.

Vera, I mustā€™ve missed your post. Iā€™ve now added welt.de to the list.

americanrhetoric.com is also a great site, and Iā€™ve added that too.

Thanks!

If people are going to go to the trouble of recommending content it is important that we not ā€œmissā€ them.

Some website suggestions for French content:

@Alex: Thank you for adding ā€œwelt.deā€. You should add the other site too. It is: ZEIT ONLINE | Lesen Sie zeit.de mit Werbung oder im PUR-Abo. Sie haben die Wahl. (German)

@Bortrun, @Jamie: The resources that you recommend here are added to the links on the import page. You can suggest a link here, and Alex add the link to the list of resources that is shown on the import page. Click on ā€œImport lessonā€, and youā€™ll see the links.

Iā€™ve added the other site you suggested, along with many others from the spreadsheet mentioned in this thread: Content Spreadsheet - Language Forum @ LingQ

Korean:

Thanks defsoad, these two have been added :slight_smile:

Hi Alex, I wouldnā€™t recommend ā€œGermanPod101ā€. I suggest to delete it from the list. You have to sign up. What I dislike the most ist that it comes with lots of advertisement asking you for signing up for a paying membership. I think we should only suggest material with direct access.

There is a typo: Librivox, not Librovox.

Instead of ā€œAndersen Storiesā€ I would recommend http://www.dradio.de/. There is no need for a special link to Andersens Stories because ā€œProjekt Gutenbergā€ and Librivox include his stories too.

Iā€™ve added dradio.de to the list ā€“ Thanks for the suggestion!

As GermanPod101 has a lot of useful content, it will stay on the list for now. People can decide for themselves which resources they prefer. I know that I donā€™t like KoreanClass101.com, but a coworker has been doing well using their content in collaboration with LingQ, so we figure itā€™s better to give more options than fewer.
Andersen Stories also offers side-by-side translations in several languages offered on LingQ, and this may be of interest to some users.

Iā€™ve corrected the typo; thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

Hi Alex, I disagree. Have you really checked the site?

Iā€™ve signed up, and I listened to some podcasts to give them a chance. The podcasts includes a lot of English, and some of the speakers are non-native speakers. I know that Steve recommend to use material that is only in the target language. There method is quite different from the LingQ method. If people like it, it is fine. But it shouldnā€™t be in our list of resources that we can use for import.

I checked some of there lessons and courses. You can only listen to the first 3 lessons of a course as a free member. And the transcript is only available for paying members. Free members have the full functionality for 7 days only.

Vera,
I didnā€™t realize the transcripts were only available to paying members. I do agree with you that the site (and its sister sites) use too much English. What you say makes a lot of sense, so Iā€™ve removed the site from the list (along with KoreanClass101).

To all others, weā€™re still open to any suggestions you may have for sites with good content!

Very good Chinese videocasts ā€œCultural Interviews with Chinese-Speaking Professionalsā€ (for Intermediate+ learners)

Cultural Interviews with Chinese-Speaking Professionals is a compilation of brief video clips in which Chinese-speaking professionals discuss cultural issues that are of interest to North Americans. The objective of the interviews is three-fold: First, provide practical cultural information about business topics. The opinions represent those of real people. At times they are even contradictory, but they are designed to be a catalyst for discussion, not a definitive answer about some stereotype. Second, the interviews provide vocabulary in areas within a professional setting. The interviews present diverse vocabulary within the context of each individualā€™s comments. Third, these materials provide non-native speakers of Chinese with multiple examples of natural speech, illustrating the way that speakers really talk.

Created by Orlando R. Kelm (University of Texas at Austin), Haidan Wang (University of Hawaii) and Jeanette Chen (University of Texas at Austin).

Link: http://bit.ly/9YmnWN

One more link to free podcasts with transcript for Chinese learners: