Web Browser Extensions (Software) for LingQ

@wikusde_bruyn

Hey mate thanks for the report.

If the YouTube video has no subtitles you need to select the Transcribe option. Otherwise you will see lesson creation failure.

If the video has Subtitles you will get a fast import like this

In regards to the Simplified Chinese. I was hoping that LingQ would fix it but it appears it hasn’t happened yet. I’ll figure out a solution for that this afternoon. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Web extensions are all greyed out for me on both chrome and firefox. I’ve tried everything I can think of: Refresh, reload, relogin, editing lessons etc. Permissions look OK. Extensions activated.

1 Like

@bobivan

The extensions aren’t loaded like the LingQ one. The buttons will just appear on the page in the menus. If they aren’t there you can try refresh the page

1 Like

On what page(s)? On what menus? Thanks.

1 Like

Which extension are you using?

1 Like

Looks like I have observer, auto lingq and lesson editor working now. Still confused on Course Uploader, Reader, Youtube import For LingQ Free.

1 Like

Course upload / YouTube import free are icons in the main header of the library page. Reader is accessed via the expand button on the audio player

1 Like

@roosterburton
To convert between variants of Chinese, maybe you can look into: GitHub - BYVoid/OpenCC: Conversion between Traditional and Simplified Chinese I’ve had very good results with it. It looks like they also have an NPM package opencc - npm but I haven’t tried.

The problem is totally expected by the way. Whisper only knows a very generic “Chinese” label, i.e. Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese, traditional, simplified characters all under this one label. I’ve had it even start flip-flopping between the two character sets in the same transcript.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks, Rooster. Can see Course upload / YouTube import free icons now.

2 Likes

@bamboozled

Cheers for this. My original thought was upload it to simplified and then get the returned translit data but this package looks much nicer.

3 Likes

Now it says my license key is invalid and when I need to verify it stays frozen on the screen.

1 Like

@wikusde_bruyn

Thanks for the report. There was a cache issue which has been fixed now and going forward

1 Like

Will this be affected by Lingq’s new policy of not transcribing Youtube audio?

@vernmartin

The Rooster method works because it mimics the user uploading a file via the lesson creation process. As long as LingQ continues to support Whisper Transcribe for Audio uploads then it is no problem.

2 Likes

@wikusde_bruyn

Hey mate i’ve added a solution for the Simplified → Traditional character swap for you in MasterLingQ 1.558

After the transcription has finished go the lesson editor page. click the Rooster button and then click Lesson Files.

Click Convert S2T button

After ~5 seconds you will get a subtitles file with the updated lesson. ~5 seconds after that you will get a notification that a new lesson has been created with the text.

Get the new lesson ID and attach it to YouTube tools

I hope this solution is suitable until LingQ comes out with a more fitting one.

Let me know if any issues.

1 Like

Thank you. Just saw your message, I’ll give it a try. Is there a way to use this for an audio that has been uploaded and incorrectly transcribed to simplified Chinese?

1 Like

@wikusde_bruyn

Yes you can this for any lesson in the Chinese Traditional library.

I just noticed there is a problem loading it on Chrome. You need to use the Firefox version to do this until I implement a fix.

2 Likes

Just did it for an incorrectly transcribed lesson and it worked like a charm creating a new lesson with the Traditional characters. Thanks mate.

1 Like

@roosterburton can you please contact me for a refund or my order?

1 Like