Web Browser Extensions (Software) for LingQ

Edit: I think its fixed. had similar issue with multiple lined subtitles in some movies/shows. Will add to the patch later.

2 Likes

Hello!
Looks like a great extension, however after looking through manuals I’m still unsure if it would work for the task I have in mind. In many dubbed Amazon or Netflix shows subtitles do not match the spoken text. Can Rooster generate its own subtitles instead (it seems to be a non-trivial task, but I saw mentions of the processing videos without subtitles…)? If so, does it require a premium LingQ account for that?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @pchuhaseraya

Thanks for your interest in the software.

I only offer this for Youtube / Spotify currently.

There are ways to accomplish this for the other tools but you’re right that its not simple. An online solution I found was to record the Audio while watching the show and then use that Audio to whisper transcribe. A more programmatic way would be to search for the video m3u8 file in the network traffic and combine the scheduled video parts. There would still be a problem with DRM that I havn’t even looked into.

My tools support overlaying existing lessons so it’s just a matter of access to the mp4/3.

1 Like

I just took a look at what you have done here for the first time. :blush: And I am very impressed at the breadth and usefulness of it! Cool!

Looks like a better version of the already impressive https://www.languagereactor.com/ and with integration of lingq. Am excited because I think these are two of the best tools for language learning available!

4 Likes

Nevertheless, it’s still great! Actually, it was your extension that persuaded me to try to learn with LingQ, so thank you for the work you’ve done so far.

I also have a question. I’ve downloaded the Master LingQ bundle but noticed that some of the extensions are already in the Firefox addon shop. Are these the same? Can I install extensions from the Firefox list and then add the ones that are missing (if any, I didn’t really compare them thoroughly) from the downloaded files?

1 Like

Thanks for your comment and good luck with your journey.

The extensions in the Firefox Store are just free (stripped) versions of the same software. The only install you need to do is the MasterLingQ zip (Takes care of most extension installations).

Some of the extensions require separate install. This info is available in the Readme

Summary

Note: (You must uninstall Transcribe/Spotify to install the other. They have some conflicts)
Spotify Extension is a separate install → located in Spotify/
Transcribe Extension is a separate install → located in Transcribe/

SelectionImport is a separate install - > located in /SelectionImport

Netflix Tools is a separate install → located in Netflix/
Disney Tools is a separate install → located in Disney/ → See Install Instructions for Disney Addon @ Extension: Rooster Disney+ Tools for LingQ - Language Learning on Disney+
AmazonPrime Tools is a separate install → located in AmazonPrime/-> See Install Instructions for Amazon Addon @
Viki Tools is a separate install → located in Viki/
Weverse Tools is a separate install → located in Weverse/
Funimation Tools is a separate install → located in Funimation/
YleAreena Tools is a separate install → located in YleAreena/

2 Likes

Using Firefox/Mozilla Developer 122.0b3, Rooster 1.193. “Download Lesson Zip” does nothing. It does not initiate a download.

Hi @vernmartin

I just tested out a some different lesson sources and didn’t find a problem.
Did you have this problem with a few lessons or just a particular one? If you can post or send me a message with a lesson that isn’t working i’ll take a look. Cheers

Edit: I see that its not working at all on Developer version. I’ll fix that. You can use it on regular Firefox or Chrome without issue for now. (Chrome also downloads the audio / audio parts)

2 Likes

I have had this issue ever since I switched from MS Edge to Firefox Developer per your recommendation. Oddly, MS Edge worked fine. This is a consistent problem for every less I have tried. Here is a lesson in Russian that everyone can access that can serve as an example:

[Login - LingQ](https://Who is she?)

Version 1.197 has fixed this issue. Thanks.

Hi @roosterburton
I found some funny behavior: since V 119? it is not possible to enter the smal “r” in this panel:

Disabeling “Rooster Master LingQ” in Firefox 121 (Dev) solves the problem for the moment.

Can you please have a look at this?

TX
LuPeng

1 Like

Hi @LuPeng

Looks like an issue with the latest HotKeys update. Sorry about that.

I have a partial solution for you and I’ll make a full fix later today.

The hotkey for ‘r’ is to focus that box. If you change it to something else you can use ‘r’ again.

1 Like

Thank you, that works!

1 Like

Once translation of a lesson is complete, where does one view the translation? If I click on “FINISHED” it just starts translating again.

If the translation isnt for your native language you can view it in the lesson editor. I’ll include all translations in the ZIP in the next update.

1 Like

Downloading the translation would be great!

And in the category of ideas: when I was a developer I made heavy use of “tool tips” for every button. Hovering over the button gives a hint about what it does.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Vern. I think you’re very right about that.

Have started adding tool-tips to menu actions, will add them as I make updates.

(Add the translations you need before downloading)
(Audio/Audio slices are Chrome only)

1 Like

It adds a great touch, and since my memory seemed cluttered with all sorts of code development, it also helped me remember some of the more obscure functions I’d wired up. :wink:

I notice the Reply button I’m about to press has a hint and shows me a key sequence I could use instead of using the mouse to click the button.

1 Like

V 1.201:

1. How do I mark words as known when using the “Lesson Words Menu”?
  2. Unless I’m on a very large monitor (my iMac) and have the browser in full screen mode, the right side of the dialog is obscured with no apparent handle or keystroke that moves the to the right to reveal it. (Shown in the second screen shot below.)

That must be it. Guess I’ll have to start learning Finnish now. :wink:

2 Likes