THE CHATROOM

Yeah, you´re a lucky guy, patterson.^^

Good evening my fellow language learners ! How are you all doing ?

Some thing for your next visit in Switzerland. :wink:

Have fun!

j;-)

I never went to Switzerland :))

Mmmmm… Chääs Chüechli. Say that 5 times fast.

She’s actually talking to Colin and his recent trip to Schweiz

I was just joking Mr. Rebel :slight_smile:

This, my friends, is the way to drive a car:

“Ey, hast du Bock drauf?!? Hast du Bock drauf? Häh? Hastu Bock drauf?!?!?!”

Krasser Typ…

@Jolanda

I´m starting to think of Swiss-German as a foreign language. Ô.ô

@Paul - I haven’t logged into Skype in a while. I just logged in and accepted the friend request.

I actually have around 40 or so imported lessons with lyrics and youtube links. I’ve shared out a handful of them so far but I can try to get around to sharing out some more. Normally I can find lyrics for at least some songs from a band but for some reason I can’t find anything for Molice. But yes, you are right. It is much easier to find lyrics if the song was featured in some anime.

There, I just shared some more music. I didn’t send out notifications to avoid spamming my friends list but you should be able to see them if you go to my profile.

@Easy_Rider
@spatterson
@ColinJohnstone

I didn’t have such an experience. Probably this is one of a few advantages being Asian-looking here in Europe besides some other not-so-nice experiences. (LOL)

Every time when I tried to use my (broken) German to carry out some activities here in Germany, I would say about 99.99% chance I got the feedback in German. This is probably they didn’t know they could speak English to me. There were a few times I really had trouble understanding what they said to me and showing some puzzled expressions. They started a little bit confusedly asking me if I speak English. After the sentence was translated into English, we fell back to the conversation in German again. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that would be an advantage - people in Germany would be less likely to assume that guys from China, Japan, etc would speak English.

@ kigoik

I think it also depends a lot on where you are. I live in Vienna, and spatterson lives in Zürich. These are big international cities where a significant fraction of the population do not speak German. My experiences when going to conferences in Heidelberg and Göttingen were slightly different. People generally would respond in German to me in these places.

…but the situation was even more difficult when I was in Taiwan. People would automatically use English when they saw me, even if I was on the other side of the street!

I remember getting on the flight between Beijing and Taipei, and I was the only white person on the flight I think. There were women greeting people as they entered the plane one by one. This is what they said to me and the people around me as we entered

你好!
你好!
你好!
Hello!
你好!
你好!

Personally I don’t remember Heidelberg as being much different from further south where I lived - i.e. a significant minority of people would want generally to speak English

(In fairness, though, I was only in Heidelberg for a long weekend…)

Only place in France where people spoke English to me was in Paris. Most of my time in France has been in the east and in the south. Over the course of my life I’d say I’ve spent 4 months total there.

I’ll be in Montreal in two weeks. That is going to be interesting, since there is a large population of anglophones who don’t even speak French there. I’ll just pretend to be Israeli and not able to speak English, or something.

“你好!
你好!
你好!
Hello!
你好!
你好!”

Yup! I find that funny for two reasons.

1. Not every white guy in the world speaks English as they assume.
  2. If this were reversed, say on an American Airlines flight, it would be perceived as potentially racist.

Hello!
Hello!
Hello!
Konichiwa!
Hello!
Hello!

Interestingly, the other day here in China after making a purchase at the bakery, the girl at the counter said “sayonara” as I left! :smiley:

@LFJ

Maybe she saw that in an American movie? If I surveyed people here, I’d bet only half would realize that it’s a Japanese word.

@kigoik “I didn’t have such an experience. Probably this is one of a few advantages being Asian-looking here in Europe besides some other not-so-nice experiences. (LOL) Every time when I tried to use my (broken) German to carry out some activities here in Germany, I would say about 99.99% chance I got the feedback in German.”

I´d talk to you in German as well.^^
That´s because, in my area, about 25% of the population consists of asians who speak broken German. I´d think you live here^^

@djvlbass:

I think she was just joking. I frequent the bakery near my home. We laughed as I turned back when I heard “sayonara”.

But I think many Americans would possibly know the world “konichiwa” and mistakenly assume it could be used on every Asian.

Although “hello” is known commonly enough around the world, I just feel funny when they speak English to any Westerner. Kind of feels like saying “konichiwa” to any Asian.

@LFJ

I can understand how you feel. Even in Europe, where most people are westerners, it took me a while to get used to the fact that English is the vehicular language of tourism. It feels weird seeing a Frenchman use English to communicate with an Italian. I don’t know why exactly, maybe it’s just me.

I’m curious, are you North Carolina Cherokee, or are you from Oklahoma ? I live in NC, and I have been to the city of Cherokee a few times. It’s pretty neat seeing the signs everywhere in Cherokee, although the town has become a bit of a tourist trap.