Tech question from a technophobe!

Hi All. My Kazakh sister in law learned how to speak English by watching the Friends videos. Her improvement was dramatic and I understand why - fun to watch, repeated words, everyday vocabulary being used and repeating the episodes as they aren’t boring.

However, I cannot find them in my language - Arabic.

Does anyone know of a way to dub generic voices into videos? I see lots of people talking tech on here and all of it is way over my head so I’ve no idea if this is possible and if it is, how I would even start to do it.

Many thanks as always.

1 Like

This is a problem I used to face pretty regularly before giving up and either listening in English and reading the foreign subtitle or going out of my way to find relatable content in Finnish… Netflix and Disney very rarely support it. Appears to be the same with Arabic.

In the Rooster video tools there is an option to dub video to the target language using LingQ’s voices.

It is not a perfect solution as it just preloads the needed TTS and mutes the video to play the TTS in time with the captions. (You lose other audio/sound effects from the video during spoken periods)

I used it for a while but the voice quality was not appealing enough to be worth my time / too emotion / accent-less for my taste. You can see an example here.

LingQ Voice Selection for Arabic

(Might need to turn up the audio, I recorded it at a lowish volume)

an example video on Netflix in Italian from a while ago

When the quality of TTS improves / LingQ offers it I will likely use this feature more.

2 Likes

I’m by no means an expert, but I don’t think there’s any easy way at the moment. You could try a program maybe like dubverse.ai .
Alternatively, see if you can pay someone on fiverr to do it for you.

1 Like

Thanks, that answers it for me and I appreciate the example.

I do have quite a lot of content in Netflix/YT but nothing I want to watch more than once and I know repetition works for me.

One day ……

1 Like

What app are you using? I see a few Rooster app’s on the Chrome web store, but I don’t think any of them the app you’re showing.

That extension is Rooster YouTube Tools it is only available for private purchase or as part of the MasterLingQ package

1 Like