Site update on December 18, 2013

Are the recommended lessons gone? I cannot find it now. Is there any way to find a new lesson once it’s just added to an old course?

Update: The Library is still in place. I never used that page before :slight_smile:

The update to the lesson page looks great. There are of course still a lot of technical problems, but I am sure the tech guys will zap those soon. Here are two initial comments:

1. When I go to the ‘learn page’, I do not see any courses. The big box that seems to be set aside for the courses is empty. When I click on “+New Course”, I just get a big blank box with ‘Choose a course’ written at the top left and a list of levels in a box at the top right. I think the idea of making this page simpler is a good one, but I am guessing that it was not meant to be so simple.

2. Comment 1 was just a techincal issue I am sure. I also have a comment on a design issue for the reading interface. The new reading interface looks like a good improvement, though I will need time to get used to the new colour schemes and whatnot. One thing that I don’t like about the new design is the fact that the pokemon is put at the bottom of the text. I don’t care at all about the pokemon, I don’t ever want to know how many coins I have or how close my pokemon is to leveling up, and I certainly don’t want it taking up three lines of text when I am trying to read something interesting.

Anyway, good job and thanks for the update.

I agree with ColinJohnstone about the pokemon. It takes up valuable reading space. I would prefer it be moved, or have the option to turn it off.

I agee with Wulfgar! It could be moved to the bottom of the dashboard.

Is it not possible to open a next lesson in the course??? Does it mean I need to open the course and find the next lesson manually???

Bon courage !

• All is very slow.I hope it will be better soon.

• There is also a lack of synchronisation for the dictionaries: when I open a dictionary it does not take into account the term I am studying but a word previously viewed.

“voice button” is not working :confused: btw. maybe it would be nice to have keyboard shortcut for “voice button”.

Yes, I noticed the same as spatterson. There is a lack of contrast in the reading interface. The constrast used to be great. Maybe it will just take time to get used to.

I also find the background image distracting.

I also find the background image distracting. it is bad for my eyes

Nice work :smiley:

flaschcards aren’t working

Flashcards are working with Chrome

it’s a nice update to me (except for avatar points issue :D) … it’s spectacular , especially the certificate it really is fabulous … the new colors and the background are nice as well … good job :slight_smile:

There is a strange blue banner in this lesson.

Where is this coming from? Can you remove it?
Shaun is seeing it too

j:-(

@jolanda - Thanks, we’ll get that fixed.

*Flashcards seem to be working fine for us. Which browser are you using? Have you tried ctrl+refreshing the page you are on a few times to clear you cache?
*Not everyone is going to like our new design. We feel it makes the site more fun and pleasant but to each his own.
*The next lesson link is in the info pane but only appears after you have clicked the “Move all words to known” button. We will find a better place for it.
*There is an issue right now with text to speech. We are working on it.

What happened with the other languages like Romanian?

They were hidden, but you can access them by inserting the language code in the url. Here is Romanian: Login - LingQ.

Thanks for the hint about the Next Lesson link, Mark. I would have never found it…

@Radko "maybe it would be nice to have keyboard shortcut for “voice button”
I"ve always thought this too - I like to do everything with my hands on the keyboard and leaving to go to the mouse breaks my flow ;). Actually, I believe not only the voice button, but the repeat-back button should both have keyboard shortcuts.

The new look is incredibly bright and cheery - things are moving ahead and glitches will certainly be addressed. This is how it should be. It’s great to see LingQ moving on with new looks and new ideas. Of course, opinions vary and you certainly can’t please everyone, but I think this is a big jump forward. Congratulations Team-LingQ!

Daniel Léo Simpson
Composer
San Francisco

@evgueny40 - The Timeline notifications now appear in the notifications menu at the top of the page: http://screencast.com/t/B7izKYAo12Pk