Significant Flashcard Upgrade

I know that you now have to solve major problems with the flashcards. I want to share my thoughts before they get lost :slight_smile:

To 1) Oh! I usually use the email. You’re right. The size is okay when I use the other possibilities for flashcarding.

To 3) I know that you cannot change everything if someone is crying. I try to make constructive suggestions. You have to decide how you do it. But I work now for 30 years in the software developement or software implementation. That is why I have some knowledge how important ergonomic is. In my feeling the “x” is much to close to the space bar. I understand that you chose “x” because it often has the meaning to close things or to strike things. In this sense the “x” is perfect. I agree. But for my fingers, the “x” is not convenient.

Vera, I appreciate your comments and feedback. I find the “x” convenient but can imagine that other people feel differently. I would be interested to hear from other people on this.

We do want to be open to all feedback as we proceed to finalize the functions and appearance of the new flash cards.

The new flashcard is great. Especially I like the edit button that is really convenient.
However, there’s one thing I don’t like that is the green flash when moving on the next card.
That makes me feel sick and tires my eyes…
So far I like everything other than the irritating green thing!!

Don’t worry AngieAkiko, we are going to take out the flashing. That was an attempt at the card effect that is achieved on the iphone which looks good but which looks quite bad on the flashcards.

Anyway, Mark, all attempts of improvements are welcome :slight_smile:

Whoa… quick reply…
I’m glad to hear that you are taking out the flashing. Thanks, Mark :smiley:

I can imagine that it is time-consuming and not trouble-free but it would be great if flashcards had speaking function like many online dictionaries today. I think the topic has already been discussed here. An online speaking dictionary is the only thing what I have to use as an addition when I study on LingQ. Adding this function would be another Significant Flashcard Upgrade.

BTW, I don’t want to appear rude, but I’m still waiting for the small shortcut buttons for “reverse” and “shuffle”.

They’re coming Jurgen. Give us a few more days.

The new one’s design’s cool. However, when I see the cards turn around, I feel like it is flickering. It made my eyes so tired. I hate to say but I prefer the old one. It would be nice if we can choose from the two versions.

@ Angie and Ken

see this advice from upthread
"Until a proper on/off switch is provided, this javascript hack will disable it. Load this into your URL field after the page has loaded:

javascript:null(jQuery.support.opacity=false); "

The annoying flipping of the card has already been removed, and the design improved, and all of this will be loaded on the production server within a few days. I suggest you wait.

All the changes and bug fixes to the flashcards should be in the update we just made including:

*Flip animation removed
*Status should be properly updated
*Shuffle and reverse buttons implemented

@aybee77 - The shuffle should be working properly now, too.

Yes, it’s working properly now. Thanks Mark!

Thanks Mark. It is great to see the evolution of this whole enterprise. Just a little, very minor nitpick: the Japanese fonts for the flashcards are a little smudgy. I don’t know if it has always been like that but I seem to be noticing it now that the colour has changed to blue/teal. Maybe it is dependent on the browser. I am using FF 3.5. Anyway it is very minor. I will be using the flashcards as is as much as possible!

Hi Ed,

The font has not changed, just the colour. I’ll find out what can be done there.

Hi Mark, thanks for the update.
I’ve been waiting for the removal of “too much flashing flip animation”. Now it works fine (no blinking) on IE8 WinX, however there are still annoying blinking on FireFox 3.6.3 when I flip the cards. Recently I usually use FireForx, not IE. If you can remove this blinking, I will be happy.

Status is not updated automatically. When I reload the page, the status is updated.

Hi Mark!

I’m glad that the flashing effect is removed.
However, I have another problem today.

I used to do flashcards with my iPod Touch but I cannot today.
When I click the link in LingQs of the Day e-mail, it leads to ようこそ page.
I just noticed the change when using PC. The new flashcards open in a new window.
Is the problem I had with iPod Touch related to the change?

Also, when I click “flashcard” button in the vocabulary page, iPod touch (the application is Safari) opens a new and blank window.

AngieAkikoさん、

こんにちは!日本語ですみません。先ほど同じ質問をしました。

メニューバーの「ポップアップウィンドウのチェックをoffにする」を
選ぶと上手くいきました。

ウィンドウズユーザーじゃないのでウィンドウズのことは分かりませんが。
お役にたてれば幸いです。

良く読むと・・・
違う質問では?!ごめんなさいね!
Sorry for showing up in Japanese many times!