Regenerate Lesson?

Would someone be able to explain what the “regenerate lesson” function does, please?

I’ve imported a mini novel, and it now appears as a lesson. When I imported it, I generated audio, but now that I’ve edited the text quite extensively, I’d like to regenerate the audio. How do I do that? I’m scared to delete the existing audio in case there is no way of regenerating it.

I’ve wondered about that myself. The are-you-sure warning suggests it does something you may not want to happen, but I’ve experimented with it a lot and nothing bad happens. It looks like all it does is remove all the Paragraph blocks in Edit mode and give you a clean copy. I use it occasionally if I’m searching through a lesson to find something. All my work involves importing novels so it can take some time to scroll down in edit mode. By regenerating the text, I can quickly scroll through the document to find or check what I want, then go back to edit/paragraph mode to make the changes.

That said, early on with editing, I made some changes and they didn’t seem to have been saved. I made them again and tried Regenerate for the first time and all my changes were made. I convinced myself that it had to be the final step after Editing, but have since convinced myself it isn’t anything but what I posted in the first paragraph.

I’m interested as well if there’s anything to it more than that.

Thanks for your response. Do you perhaps know how to regenerate the audio?

I think LingQ introduced ‘regenerate lesson’ with LingQ 5 to preserve the old editor, where you would make all your edits first, and then press the save button. The new one auto-saves the edits on a sentence base.
Unfortunately LingQ forgot to add an explanation to the warning message. My understanding is that if you do invasive edits, the sentence level timestamps get messed up and have to be re-generated or manually corrected. Using this option in a language that doesn’t support generating timestamps results in all existing timestamps getting deleted! For normal languages you might not even notice any difference. I think ‘regenerate lesson’ should be fine for text-only content.

Not sure what you mean with ‘regenerate audio’. If you used LingQ’s text-to-speech feature, you can delete the saved audio using the trashcan symbol in the left pane in the editor and then open the lesson regularly and have LingQ re-generate the TTS at the bottom left.

2 Likes

Thanks bamboozled, you’ve answered my question on regenerating the audio. :pray:

I was just playing about with the “Generate Timestamps” function, and I found that in order to generate timestamps properly you have to first hit the “Regenerate Lesson” button, otherwise the timestamps won’t generate properly.

As far as I can tell, this is the only real function of the “Regenerate Lesson” button. It doesn’t seem to do anything else.

Here’s a thread where I explain how to do it:
https://forum.lingq.com/t/how-to-generate-timestamps-that-actually-work/214946/4

It also will put the text in “all edit” form, rather than singles sentence edit. In other words you could replace the text in its entirety and then click save (if you wanted to). I’ve done this in the past, before Whisper AI, or in the case where I have the real transcript from a subscription. I would import the youtube video with its autogenerated subtitles, click Regenerate Lesson, then replace the text in its entirety, and save.

In theory you shouldn’t have to do regenerate lessson to have the generate timestamps resave, but occasionally maybe regenerate can parse the text in a better way and the timestamps get better. Maybe that’s what’s happening in this case.

1 Like

Yes. Given my experiences with software like this, I’m guessing that’s what’s happening.