Non-Informative Textbox Behavior for LingQ meanings

Saved meanings have a maximum length, but the current UI doesn’t provide any notification to the user that this is a constraint. The only way you’ll know this is if you inspected the response from the API.

{"hints":[{"text":["Ensure this field has no more than 250 characters."]}]}

Highly suggest providing some feedback to the user when the inserted meaning has surpassed the maximum allowable length.

4 Likes

I also mentioned this in this thread last year
Character Limit for Creating Definitions/Splitting up definitions - Support & Feedback Forum - LingQ Language Forums

2 Likes

Yes, that would be very useful, including a feedback on how many characters we are over 250. Otherwise you need to refine and refine the definition until you are below 250. Or you need to copy/paste your definition in another software to check the number of characters!

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll see what can be done.

1 Like

Upd.: We have limited the characters in the box earlier this week, it won’t show any validation message. The text is trimmed to fit the max length allowed when paste, and it won’t let user to add more char than on typing. Thanks

1 Like

@LingQlearner Thank you for the update.
However, I don’t understand the first part of it because the characters were limited already before. What do you mean you have limited it? I hope you haven’t reduced it because 250 characters are already not enough for complicated words.
Could you increase it at least to 500?

The only difference is that now you automatically trim a WRONG definition and don’t give any message. Do you think that’s the best solution?
It would have been much better to have a counter, so that we know we need to stay below a certain limit, but we can see in real time the counter.

If I copy/paste a definition, now you validate a CUT OFF text, and I have to go back and refine the definition anyway without knowing why.
If a user do that quickly (which is not surprising), without realising it, then you validate just a PIECE OF definition, and there will be more wrong definitions overall.

1 Like

Hi @davideroccato Previously frontend validation was missing, in other words when you entered into hints field more than 250 characters, such request failed, backend returned 400 - bad request with validation error “Ensure this field has no more than 250 characters.”, this means that entered hints text with more than 250 characters wasn’t saved at all.
As a quick fix (temporary solution) was pushed validation on frontend, allowing users to save entered text up to allowed limit, which meant that the fix only preserved a portion of the text within the 250-character limit (post above).
And starting from today we started to show the amount of characters when exceed the characters limit in red with this text: “Please limit meaning to 250 characters max. You typed in X characters.” Thanks

2 Likes

@davideroccato Regarding the request to extend the character limit to 500 characters, is it feasible to utilize the notes field for additional explanations? Notes are accessible during review activities.

2 Likes

@LingQlearner This is great, thank you.

Those are 2 different things. The definitions are public, notes are not. So, when I write a definition is for everyone. The problem with the 250 characters is not for words that usually have a translation in any dictionary, but for words that require an explanation (that I usually take from Wikipedia), for example an historical explanation of a name, building, fact and so on. I always find that is very difficult to stay within 250 characters, and if there is a bit more flexibility would be much better.

Regarding notes, I use them already but as I said, they are private, and also underdeveloped. We have asked to improve how notes are used and displayed many times but never had much luck with it.

3 Likes

The notes function is almost useless in its current form and badly needs improving. Have a look at all ereaders on the market today and you will see what functional notes are like. Make 2024 the year you improve notes in Lingq.

2 Likes

@davideroccato @SeoulMate Thank you for providing your feedback. We will share your comments with the team and the product owner. We cannot guarantee immediate changes at this time or that requested changes will be approved. The decision regarding prioritizing specific features or improvements lies with the product owner and we have quite a big epic to focus on (work in progress) and in parallel need to address agreed-upon tickets for refining existing features, which are scheduled to be completed in the upcoming 2 months. So hope for your understanding.

1 Like