Character Limit for Creating Definitions/Splitting up definitions

Can we have some indicator of how much text we can enter as a definition for a LingQ? For example, on Twitter, you can see a circle filling up as you approach the character limit, or when you send a mobile SMS text message, you can see how many characters you are using with a number, for example 35/160.

The only reason I figured out that the character limit for LingQs is 250 is because I am a developer by trade and I wanted to see the reason why my definitions were not being added. It was very annoying to repeatedly try to enter my definition. I think it is not very user friendly for someone to not see their definitions being added with little cues or explanations.

A similar suggestion I have, is that multiple definitions are created and added to that user’s LingQs when the character limit is reached for one part of the definition, and with that some indication that the definition is a continuation of some other definition. Bonus points for the suggestion (for lack of better words) is if we can tell if all such combined definitions are actually a part of a single definition.

Existing community definitions can sometimes be messy to navigate when someone has manually split up their definitions by using textual indicators such as (cont. )

Another aside about creating definitions is that on mobile, I cannot add line breaks to the definitions.

4 Likes

Are you sure that adding your own definitions is a good use of time when they’re already there by clicking through to SpanishDict or whatever if you really need it?

Clicking through to a dictionary can give you a very long dictionary entry and doesn’t really change what I am getting at. I don’t always create definitions, but recently I have been creating some for reasons that is kind of a different topic.

I’m not usually manually coming up with definitions, I am taking it from a dictionary (and sometimes editing text I copy from a dictionary). I think it doesn’t really matter though.
Here is an example:

I could trim down the description to specifically what I need for a lesson I am doing, but I would also waste time doing that. If I only use definition 3 or any subset of definitions for that example, the LingQ could be not helpful for the next time I encounter the word in a different context unless I add multiple definitions. I think the definition should go through as multiple LingQ definitions at the very least, similar to how long imported texts are converted into multiple lessons.

Some people, when they create definitions, include what parts of speech, references to other words, and other information. Even if I remove these and copy and create the LingQ, it can still reach the character limit, but I would want all definitions to be together.
If I simply copy and paste into LingQ, no definition would be created and many people wouldn’t know why (the character limit).

2 Likes

I my opinion, it is a very good use of time to create your own definitions. It forces you to think about the meanings of a word very carefully because you have to decide how to reduce a long dictionary entry to a useful definition. This work will help you to remember the meaning of the word.

There is an ADD Note section. I can add my own definitions there or any key points related to a particular phrase or word or sentence. Definitely, an act of writing notes helps with recall so I rather use ADD Note section.

1 Like

All great ideas.
For a while, a few months ago we used to get a warning that we exceeded our character limit. It gave us a chance to revise and post. Now, nothing. Everything just disappears.

• Are you sure that adding your own definitions is a good use of time . . .
    It depends on the language you’re studying.

For French I almost never create definitions. It’s a very popular language and relatively easy to translate into English.

That’s not the case for Korean. Fewer learners, and also very difficult to translate. For that language better definitions/translations are sorely needed and I input dozens of new translations every day.

1 Like

Adding line breaks to definitions has been requested before. Apparently, this is possible on iOS, but not Android. As an Android user, I would definitely appreciate if something was done about this.

Also, respecting line breaks in the definitions in sentence mode would be great too. At the moment, all the information is crammed onto the same line and it just looks terrible.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many characters it is, but on some of my very long definitions (due to the word having many definitions), it just cuts it off at some point. It would be nicer if the length was just a little bit longer.

not for every word , in my case, it is more like for the usage of a preposition used either in a sentence or a long phrase. These days I am using ADD note option a lot. Agreed for popular languages adding definitions manually is a total waste of time.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I’ll forward this to our development team and we will see what we can do.