New Update for the Android App

Thanks for pointing this out dcbaok. We’ll take a closer look into this to see why the audio isn’t playing for some lessons.

We’ve now uploaded version 2.3.2 which includes fixes for the blue highlighting mentioned above and the issue that prevented some audio files from playing. It also includes more support for older Android versions 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2.

@alex It works great now. In addition, I like the fact that I can select “known” words and still get the definition. Bravo!

Android 2.3.3

Issue:
Push “Info”. Select “How to use iLingQ”. There are two buttons in the caption - “Back” and “Done”. Pushing the “Back” button always cause error: “Application iLingQ has stopped unexpectedly”. BTW, the “Done” button gets the user back to “My Lessons”, so the “Back” button is redundant.

Wishlist:
Option to disable automatic loading of audio. At present I have to bother with preloading an audio through Wi-fi or turn-off GPRS to avoid traffic charges (anyway, there is no much sense in loading ~15 Mb audio using ~100kbps channel (=25 minutes of waiting).

Thanks for the update, I tested the audio on the lessons I was having trouble with, it is now working.

I found a new problem, the “Large Text” setting in the settings screen isn’t working anymore.

This is strange, it isnt giving me the option to update, dunno why

Glad to hear these things are now working properly for you both. Thanks for the additional bug reports, we’ll look at getting these fixed as well!

@a5m - As you mentioned, if you open these lessons once while connected via wifi then you’ll never have to load them again through the app (unless you clear the cache or the lesson is pushed out of the list). This is actually the biggest reason we added local caching, since we wanted to help users like yourself who can’t rely on wireless data to download the audio files. However, perhaps in the near future we can take a look at your suggestion.

@chumnutzly - Are you trying to download it from Google Play? It’s also on the Amazon Appstore, but they take a bit longer to test and approve the app so the most recent version isn’t yet available there.

@alex
Thank you for your explanation. I am using the program for several days only. Definitely, the local caching is very important. Just to develop my point: Mobile traffic may (or “will”?) cost money, even if it is high-speed connection. I am sure, a user is not really going to always listen the audio for each of his lessons. Therefore, it is reasonable to make the audio download as option, especially in software developed for mobile device.
Personally, I see the main use of iLingQ as to review of my lingqs in context or in flashcards (e.g. during coffee break) or to preview the lessons (e.g. downloaded before bedtime or during breakfast) that I plan to study in detail after my work. I am not sure if I ever use the audio as I can’t put on headphones while at work; and in the car I listen to MP3 player.

I have a problem with the cache. There is option in the “Settings” named “MP3Cache - 0/100MB” together with the small red button “Delete”. I thought 100 MB is the maximum size of the cache. But now I have it like “111/100 MB”. “Delete” button do not respond.

I have noticed the text part of the flashcards (in Daily LingQs) does not scroll. When I try to check Phrase+Hint of the flashcard some of the text do not fit into the screen of my smartphone (320x480). It will be really nice to be able to scroll it.

@a5m - Thanks for the feedback about this. We’ll look into the issues you’ve raised. I see what you mean about the lessons, so we’ll see if we can slot that in to a future version of the app :slight_smile:

yes, google play. My version has a date of august 21 and still cannot update, don’t know version number, sorry

Version 2.3.2, the newest version, was released on August 21st, so it looks like you’re all up to date already :slight_smile:

lol, sometimes my wife uses my tablet. She must have connected to the internet and it auto-updated. Sorry about that :o)

when I use Flashcards the learned words don’t disappear, I only get the message “Session Completed”. The option “Increased Status Removal” in Settings is activated (iLingq version 2.3.2., Android 2.2). It worked properly in the "old"LingQ. Can you help?

Do you mean it worked properly before the 2.0 update while using the same 2.3.2 version of the app?