New Update for the Android App

Ok, thanks!

Regarding the other issues that are reported, we’ve done some more extensive testing and have found a few more bugs that we will be fixing in version 2.3.1. If anyone else is encountering problems with the app, please let us know! Also, if possible, follow the steps below and send us the error log. It really makes things easier to track down (I wish there was something similar for iOS!).

• install the app “aLogCat”
  • open the app “aLogCat” and clean the Log
  • switch to iLingQ
  • reproduce the issue in iLingQ
  • switch back to “aLogCat”
  • send the Log to support (at) lingq.com

We’ve just pushed version 2.3.1 which includes fixes for many of the issues mentioned above. Be sure to download the latest version here:

As always, if you have any additional problems with the app be sure to let us know.

It just crashes on start-up for me now.

@skyblueteapot - If possible, it would be great if you could follow the steps above and send us the log file. It really helps in tracking down the issues :slight_smile:

Done! Tell me if I did it wrong.

Looks good, thanks! I’ll let you know if we need any additional information.

@skyblueteapot - Would you be able to confirm which version of Android you’re running? Also, it would be helpful if you could create a new log file, get the app to crash then send over the log file again. Apparently the previous file didn’t contain enough information about why it crashed.

Are there any updates with regards to the “blue” highlighted words?

Sorry, blue words can only be used on the website. There are no plans to add them to the app although we would like to add this type of functionality in the future. In the meantime, you can study your lessons on the site using Quick LingQ mode so you can then study the lesson in detail on your mobile device.

For me, words marked known (level 4) on the website are showing up as blue on the app since the update. This may be what gem4lyf is talking about.

I’m using Chinese language if this makes a difference.

(Edit: Just checked with Spanish, seeing it there too.)
(Edit 2: iLingQ 2.3.1 on Android 4.1.1)

-dcb

@dcbaok - Thanks for pointing this out! It seems there’s an issue with Status 4 words showing up as blue, when they should actually just have a gray underline. We’ll get this taken care of!

@mark - What I meant by “blue” words in the android app is that they shouldn’t be blue. From what I gather, those are the words that I previously lingq’d and learned. I was wondering if there’s a fix to that because it makes it pretty difficult to work on lessons on my phone.

Additionally, unknown words that are highlighted blue in the lessons on the website are not highlighted at all in the app.

We don’t have any immediate plans to display new words with a blue highlight in the app, as this would likely imply that you can actually do something with these words. However, we are working actively on this bug and plan to have it fixed very shortly as we prepare the next minor update to the app.

@alex, mark - I pointed out this blue highlighting issue on the last version of the app. I’m not sure why there is all of this confusion. If it isn’t clear as to what the issue is, I can send you a screenshot.

The synchronization issue is still a problem. Well, it does seem to sync my lessons that I open while online but I do have to remember which ones those are since occasionally all my active lessons are listed even when I’m offline and not just the ones that are synced. None of the flashcard data syncs with the website. I’m not sure if that is a step forward or back from the way it was done two versions ago. Back then it would sync the data with the website and then later erase that data when the app was opened again.

The newest version of the app opens on my Galaxy Tab 2 by the way, thanks.

@cgreen0038 - Not to worry, the blue highlighting issue is well understood and will be fixed shortly.

Syncing, as we’re finding, is one of the most difficult issues to overcome, particularly with online/offline. We recently found out that even Google, who not too long ago introduced some offline features for their products, still has very strict limitations on what can be viewed and even more so on what can be edited while offline. Obviously we still want to allow offline viewing, studying and proper syncing when returning online, but we’ll see how things develop over the next while and whether it’s something that we can properly support.

Regarding flashcard syncing, we’ll continue looking into this and see what we can uncover.

Not sure this is the right thread for this but Spanish audio for Who Is She lessons is not working for me in the app.

I open the lesson and it sits at “Time Played: Calculating” forever.

@dcbaok - Are you only having this problem with lessons from this specific collection or with all lessons on the app? Usually if the signal strength is weak then the app stutters when trying to download audio files, so make sure you are well connected as well.

double post

I tried 4 lessons from the “Who Is She” collection in Spanish, all of them had the described problem. Additionally the first couple of lessons from “Who Is She” in French had the same problem, I didn’t test French further.

Lessons from a different Spanish collection worked. Everything I’ve tried in Chinese has worked, the German and Arabic “Who Is She” lesson 1 both worked.

I’m on wifi at home doing the testing.

-dcb