Make Words Blue or "Undo Known-Words " per/by Session

I am new to LingQ. I joined October 10th. I found out about LingQ through Steve Kaufmann’s YouTube video “How I learned Ukranian” that was posted 6 months ago. I watched the video around October 8th or 9th.

Anyway, I decided to take up LingQ seeing as it is very appealing. I wanted to use LingQ to really improve my reading comprehension in German. Thus, after completing the first 3-5 beginner lessons, I imported something that interested me. It was Nietzsche’s “Also sprach Zarathustra”.

One night, after reading, I went to bed with the tab open on my computer (“reading)” the section. When I awoke, the section was completed, and most of the new words (I’d say 90% of them) were all “known” words now.

So over the last few days I’ve gone through (the words) one by one and made them all “learning” around level 1-3. This took a very long time.

So my request / constructive criticism is this:
Perhaps there should be a session by session log that shows which words / phrases you’ve learned? One that you’re able to “undo”?

A simple way to make words blue again would be very great I think.
Perhaps there is one & the reason I haven’t found it is because I’m only 5 days in.

Also, how is it fair that because I have to re-mark words as learning, that I lose coins for the day?
I never wanted them to be “known” in the first place!
I’m negative 1,200 coins on the day now!!!
I also lost my streak because of this!!!

Despite this, I respect the power of LingQ and truly believe it is a fantastic resource for this!!!
It is a great platform, I’m very happy I am on this site!!!

1 Like

I think a lot of people would love this feature. There is little more demotivating on LingQ than accidentally setting a bunch of words to known and having no idea which words they were. It shouldn’t really matter, but our OCD-ridden monkey brains make it matter.

3 Likes

It won’t turn them blue, but you can go to the Vocabulary tab and filter down to the course/lesson and level of of the word. So it might quicken the pace of setting them back to 1 or 2 or whatever.

I’d suggest turning off paging turns to known or whatever set them to blue?? I guess I’m confused on how this all happened while you were asleep? I wonder if that’s how that one guy on the Spanish challenge managed to read like a million words a night lol

2 Likes

Paging lessons automatically moves all remaining blue words on that page to known. We assume you have created LingQs for all unknown words before paging.

Automatic removal of blue words can be turned off in the Settings for the Reader. The “Move words to known” option is the one to turn off. However, this just means that when you click the complete Lesson option on the last page, all your blue words for the whole lesson will be moved to known. There is no reason to keep blue words. The idea is that you either need to learn them or they are known. (or you can ignore words).

Having said that, you can click on all white words to make them blue again and create LingQs for them. So, if you are reading, and come across a word you incorrectly marked as known or ignored, just click on it to make it blue.

Finally, if you prefer so, you can reset your language in your Language Settings - Login - LingQ

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like