Major update to lessons organization, tutoring functionality and much more

A really nice update!!! At last the lingq website is starting to look really good.

I can’t find “My Courses” - has it gone?

I have another problem: I’m not getting notifications when a student schedules a conversation anymore, that’s a big problem for me… because it means I’d have to check constantly on Lingq and it’s impossible.

I also have a question about the 5 and 10 lessons discount. How does it work? Does the student need to schedule all the lessons from the beginning to get the discount?

The word count in the vocabulary list is gone. Not visible initially or after filtering. Please return it.
It seems every time there is an update, the vocabulary list loses something. There used to be a star for a note for the word, gone, there used to be an alternating light yellow color for the word list, gone, and now word count, gone.
Does someone there have a vendetta against the word list ? :wink:

The tutoring schedule is very flakey. Also, one doesn’t seem to appear in the list of available tutors unless one offers writing correction.

I agree. Those are features important to me as well. Why are we losing good features?

It’s inside/within My Lessons.

When I pick up a new course from Recommended and I go later to My Lessons to access it, it’s displayed as three courses. One of them got picture but the others not.

Oh no! Mark, your second bullet point touts the new tabs on the Lessons page. But those disappear, with no way to access those functions, if the window is too narrow. And “too narrow” includes the full width of my vertically-oriented monitor on which I prefer to read.

Most documents – PDFs, Word files, even web pages – are vertically oriented, and it is hard to scan text arranged in very wide lines. So I prefer to do a lot of my work on a portrait-mode monitor. It worked great for Lingq, too, before this otherwise great update.

Rather than making this essential functionality just disappear, you need to do something like provide a pull-down list to access these items when the screen is too narrow for your default layout.

I miss the word count feature for individuals languages.

Great suggestion! I will add it to our wishlist. That isn’t possible right now. The previous badge that was shareable is no longer available I’m afraid…

You are no longer able to block off time for specific dates. It is now a weekly schedule that gets applied to all weeks. We made this change because it is much less maintenance than having to remember to put up your schedule every month for every day and every week. This way you have a basic schedule that stays the same. You have to confirm all conversations now so if a user requests a time during those hours you want to block off, you will have to decline or, more likely, request an alternate time.

It isn’t a perfect solution but the previous approach led to scheduling gaps and was too onerous on tutors especially if they weren’t getting many bookings.

We will check the issue that you only show if you offer writing. That shouldn’t be the case. Your schedule is showing up properly for me right now.

Thanks!

@conniewarner - Are you talking about the mobile app or here on the web? Is that still a problem?

@Ress - In the Library tab, just search in the search box. To see courses, toggle the Lessons/Courses switch to Courses. The Recommended tab is a basic, guided list of courses for new users based on the level you have set for content.

I like the learning by lesson improvements, thanks a lot. However, the Tutor search function doesn’t give me any results. I also can’t find myself there. The Dutch forum here is extremely inactive and I don’t know how people will find me or how I can find Japanese people for my own learning if the search functions are ineffective or even plainly non-functional.

@jcc - There are some issues in the Courses view we are working through. Sorry about that. This is affecting all results showing courses.

Yes, my schedule is showing, but it only did so after I offered writing correction. I’m not really interested in that, so I would like to turn if off again.

I also teach on Cafetalk and the schedule there works much like this. You can set a schedule that auto repeats, and that is great for the reasons you’ve outlined. However, one can also go to specific days and block out times as needed or even add extra availability if one has it.

Another oddity is that I can’t change my schedule on Tuesday morning. I think this might be because I have a student already booked in this time slot, two weeks from now, but the system tells me nothing when I try to modify the schedule. Anyway, it looks like I can’t make this time slot available until I’ve finished that lesson on the 31st. A bit strange, no?