LingQ5 for web launched 2!

Yeah, I do not get why you would want to have all of the forms in one lingq, it’s too much cluttering and you will get to the plural, case changing and other stuff anyway while reading. Maybe he’s adding only the “dictionary” form of words? In that case it’s kind of a pain to learn like that, isn’t it?

In the previous interface, you were able to see the entire lesson text in the side bar, useful for copying sentences to an external translation tool without having to highlight in the main lesson window and inadvertently creating a saved phrase.

Does anyone know how to get to that in the new interface?

You can click on the “Play” button (lower left), then click on the “Expand” option on the audio control … that will give you full, copy-able text. Bit of a long way round, but I think it’s the only way presently. To my mind there should be a “View” button next to the “Play” button which would take you to full, copy-able text directly (and bypass the audio control). (And the “expand/contract” button could be datached from the audio contol to make it available in either mode)

ok, you dont like the way i learn, no problem.

But it has everything to do with the v5. It takes much more clicks now than before to learn in the way i do.

At least now i understand why there are people that are satisfied.

@Dreaming_Butterfly
I understand what you are trying to do and I see now why you find v5 complicated. If you allow me, I would advise you to change your workflow. Notice tha I’ve learned Russian o Lingq, which has way more conjugations than German, without any issue. My advice for you would be to use the tags feature to annotate grammar information, instead of editing the meaning. In some languages Lingq provides even some automatic grammar tagging for you.
In general, don’t waste too much time trying to include all possible grammar information, that is not necessary and simply not how the Lingq system works. Some tagging may be handy but you’ll learn all forms of words by simply encountering them again and again

i don’t do any annotation about conjugations.

Mainly i create new meanings about the gender of a noun
Usually i find a meaning like this:

Home (das)

many times there is not even the (das) to show the gender
then my necessity is to create a new meaning like this

home \ das Haus | die Häuser

this is the fastest way i know to be exposed to the gender and plural form of the noun.

for verbs i use the tags already. By the way, they are worse to use than before too lol. It is so bad i am even laughing. I guess it is a sign that i am entering the phase of acceptance lol

other thing that make me click more is that the pronunciation offered by lingq is not always correct. So, many times when i suspect it is wrong, i have to check a recorded pronunciation in the dictionary, the one that now i need an extra click to access.

i am a huge fan of Stephen Krashen way of learning languages. I learn by reading with almost no worries about grammar

Haus / Häuser is the conjugation.
My advice would be:
Use “t” to tag the gender
Don’t record the plural in most cases, only when a word is particularly strange and do so through a tag as well (" -er") or the like. [EDIT] Or add an “umlaut tag”
Use “s” to play the TTS.
In general, Lingq assumes that users will only need to add new meanings very occasionally and that’s what most of us do.
For example, I’ve added some Lingqs with full grammar info in Latin: I get them from the words dictionary, which exists on lingq as a pop-up, but which I often open on a separate tab.
But I only add them for very particular words, most of the time I use the provided meanings with no additional info.
Remembet that you’ll come across the words again, you can use the next encounter to learn a new form or to take the time to tag it if you find it’s still unclear. Don’t feel compelled to get all the info every time you read a word, that’ll simply slow you down.

conjugation = the variation of the form of a verb
but ok i see what you mean

Its exactly because i’ll come across the word again and again that i feel necessary to create the new meaning with the gender and plural form. Because when it comes again i’ll have it there , ready.

this is like russian for me:
through a tag as well (" -er") or the like. [EDIT] Or add an “umlaut tag” . Use “s” to play the TTS.

the only thing i know is to click in the tag+ and write something there. But you seem to be talking about commands

Yes, you are absolutely right: I meant “declension”. I am usually a stickler for proper grammar jargon but somehow I managed to get it wrong twice in this thread. Thank you for the correction.

You can just add the tag with the mouse, yes but if you use the keyboard it’ll get faster, either way you don’t need to scroll.
Anyway, the main idea I want to convey is that Lingq is not optimized to be an annotation tool. It is funny that version 4 managed to provide a somewhat OK-ish environment for it, I’m sure that was never in the minds of the Lingq team. The encouraged workflow is for you use one or two dictionaries that you like to make sense of the text in the lesson: only rarely should you feel the need to add a new meaning, mostly for slang or unusual senses; you can annotate some info in the tags (rather than in the lingq itself), but even then I would not advise you to get out of your way just to make sure all possible info is recorded in the Linqs.
I personally do like reviewing grammar tables and the like, but I typically do it on the side, sometimes in a different browser tab (using wiktionary, e.g.) and never to such an extent that it gets in the way of simply reading/listening along, which is what will take you all the way to fluency.
If I were learning German, my own way of thinking would probably be something like this:

• This word is clearly feminine, ok.
  • This word I’m not so sure, probably neuter? Well, never mind for now
  • This word seems important, I really wonder what the gender or plural might be, I guess … Let me check. Ok, it’s what I’d expect, moving on.
  • This word is interesting and its gender/plural is not at all what I’d thought, I’ll add tags to remind me.

Hi Pippington. I just tried it on Edge and it worked for me. What exactly isn’t working? The sidebar won’t show again for you? I’m using Edge on windows, so maybe there’s a difference between the two from that standpoint.

Believe me, i don’t like to make annotations. I would love if the information was already there. Its a very basic thing, doesn’t take too much space. It’s something that i don’t need to understand, no grammatical thing to delve in and lost the flow of reading. Just exposure.

I don’t know for sure that i am doing it the best way. But it seems very important to grab the opportunity to be exposed to the gender and plural form every time a noun appear. Because this does not seem to be something i’ll ever get intuitively in the german language.

I’ll try to use the keyboard.

Edit (i see dreaming_butterfly responded so change to specify what I’m seeing as an issue…I can get around it, but mildly annoying)
For me it is the dictionaries not showing on saved Lingqs. In the apps and non sidebar mode in the web app, if you have set a word to yellow or known (anything not blue), the dictionaries do not show up, near the top. You have to expand. In the app, this is two “clicks” (actually a swipe, then a click). If you compare to blue words which have it showing nicely at the top then you’ll see.

In the sidebar some percentage of the time the dictionaries show, even on the yellow or known words, but not always. If you’ve saved the meaning (i.e. made the word yellow at some point) then the dictionary list doesn’t show.

In any event, I often recheck the words in the dictionaries if something doesn’t quite fit what I’m expecting for the context. I’m finding I need to click a couple more times than usual (and sometimes in the web version too). The dictionary line doesn’t take up much real estate…I think the “blue word format” would work just fine, along with showing your selected meanings.

I didn’t know there was Edge for Mac! Anyway, we’ll take a look and see.

Hi dreaming_butterfly…
I was just playing around on the web version. If you have already “lingg’d” the word, it doesn’t give an input box for a new meaning (which I think is your main issue?). If you use the sidebar OR pop version (sidebar closed) You can hover over one of the meanings you may have selected, then there is a “plus” sign you can press to give a new meaning. Granted, you do have to click in the input box as well, so that’s two clicks, but maybe it is less annoying/distracting then clicking the expand? Also the dictionaries still don’t show so that’s a problem too.

For my workflow I do frequently add new meanings, but not nearly as much as you it sounds like so I can understand the frustration, but I think with some persistent feedback to the team maybe this can change a bit to make it flow a little nicer for your workflow.

The most important thing i learned in this forum is that the difference between satisfied and dissatisfied people is the necessity to access the dictionaries once the word is not blue anymore. If you don’t have, frequently, this necessity ,then this version 5 is not a big problem.

If you are creating new meanings, why are you needing more clicks. I don’t understand. Just click on the empty meaning field at the top of the sidebar widget and type in your meaning. Or, select one of the available meanings, click on it and edit it. Or use the keyboard shortcut “h” to start typing in your meaning.
We definitely do recommend putting less information in your meanings than more. Use tags for gender. Save the plural form separately when you come across it.
LingQ is about learning in context. Each form of the word can be learned separately as you encounter it.

ok. I think its important that you understand it:

the main difference between satisfied and dissatisfied people is the necessity to access the dictionaries once the word is not blue anymore. If you don’t have this necessity frequently ,then this version 5 is not a big problem.
I believe the great majority of people that are hating this new version have a big necessity to access the dictionaries once the word is not blue anymore.
Once the word is not blue then extra clicks are necessary to access the dictionaries.

Is it clear for you now?

and that is the big problem now because the other big problem that was the size of the sidebar was solved by an user

Hi Mark,
dreaming_butterfly already stated it, but I also agree. The main problem for me as well is that once you’ve “lingqed” a word, the dictionary list is no longer available. If it’s a blue word, it’s available and near the top.

Say I lingq’d a word already with some meaning. I find it in another context and the meaning I’ve chosen doesn’t match. So I need to add a new meaning:

In web pop up mode

1. You have to more times to get at others meanings and/or the dictionary. (once to click on the word, another to expand it to show other meanings and the dictionaries. Another time to get an input field and once more to place your cursor in the entry field.

Maybe at the very least there could be the dictionary list always, similar to when the word is blue? Or perhaps in options one can choose to always show the “expanded version”? While also leaving the option for “clean version” for others?

In sidebar mode it’s similar, but for words you’ve merely moved to known (without ever setting to yellow) you have an input field straight away for entering a meaning if you wish, AND the dictionaries, AND other user’s meanings. i.e. it’s in “Expanded mode” already.

There’s a similar experience on the app. For myself, I think just having the dictionaries accessible at the top always like in the “blue word” format would be great.