LingQ Classroom Feature

LINGQ CLASSROOM FEATURE
I saw mention of a “classroom feature” in a post from March 2020 in the Teaching on LingQ Forum. If such a feature still exists, how can I access it.

If a Lingq classroom feature, exists, I’d like to explore it.

2 Likes

Seconding the question. I would love to find out more about it.

1 Like

Hi guys, @TeacherNia @fabbol
To create a Classroom on LingQ website, simply follow these steps:
Click on the provided link Login - LingQ and select the “Teacher” option and proceed by clicking the “Continue” button. Next, click on the “Create classroom” button and fill in all the necessary details.
You can invite students to join the Classroom by entering their email addresses and they will receive an invitation in their email inbox or you may share a classroom link with them. Once your Classroom is set up, you’ll be able to import content and share it exclusively with your Classroom members.
Once you’ve created your first classroom, you can access it via Library or other pages by clicking on the “Group” tab. This tab will be located next to the Lesson/Tutors/Community" tabs in the navigation bar.

3 Likes

Let’s see if I can follow this.

1. Go here (without the extra spaces!) : URL https:// www.lingq. com/en/learn/en/web/school/
  2. Select “Teacher”.
  3. Click “Continue” to move to the next step.
  4. Click “Create a classroom” to move to the next step.
  5. Fill in the four (4) fields:
  • Name of your classroom
  • My students are learning…
  • My students learning level…
  • My students speak…

Okay I understand how to create a classroom, how to invite students and how to retrieve/enter a created classroom in the future.

Thank you, LingQlearner, for your informative reply!

3 Likes

Ok, got it, thank you! Now I’m unsure how to assign playlists :thinking: In my classroom, I can go to “Assigned playlists”, which is empty as of yet. If I click on “+ Playlist”, a new window opens with my personal playlists. I’m not sure how to assign one of these playlists to one of my classrooms :thinking:

Are there other ways of assigning specific lessons, etc.? :thinking:

Oh, one more question: How do I, as a student, leave a classroom?

1 Like

Hi @fabbol. When you click on the “+ Playlist” button, you’ll be directed to the Playlist tab where you can view all your playlists. Here, you have the option to create a new playlist by clicking “Add New Playlist” on the left side. You can also access other playlists you’ve previously created. Simply hover over the three dots next to the playlist (excluding default one, the Active Playlist) and select “Edit”. In the “Update Playlist” modal, click on the plus button under “Show as a classroom shelf”, choose the name of your classroom from the dropdown menu, and then click “Save”.

2 Likes

A heads up here: If you are sharing private material with your students, you must also give them access to the lessons from within the “edit lesson” feature. If you just put the lessons in a playlist and make it a classroom shelf, the students will be able to see them but not open them.

Another point of interest. “Assign” is a bit of a misnomer. “Make available” is better. I say this because for me, if I assign a lesson, that means that I want to be able to tell if the student has taken the lesson. In the LingQ classroom, you cannot really do this. The closest thing to tracking this information that you can do is opening the course that the lesson is part of and checking how many people have taken the lesson. You will have only a number, not the names of which students opened it.

3 Likes

thanks for sharing. informative

1 Like

You’re welcome.

(I have been using the classroom feature for four years, and I have the battle scars to prove it! But I am still using it…so that says something too!)

And, by the way, if any of this has changed, I am happy to have the LingQ team correct me.

2 Likes

You can put whole courses in the playlist, which will show up on the classroom shelf as courses which you click on to see the individual lessons. You can also make lessons show up individually on the shelf.

If the individual lessons are part of a longer course, the student can still click through the lesson and access the rest of the course (if he is LingQ savvy), but the course itself doesn’t show up on the shelf.

3 Likes

Here are shelves from two of my classrooms. The first shows courses. The second shows individual lessons.

The statistics for each lesson are not class statistics. They are based on my account - and I don’t keep them accurate.

3 Likes

Um, I feel a bit dumb now, but… How do I add a course? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You can add a course just like you add an individual lesson: find the three dots on either one. Click, and you have the option to add to a playlist.

(I am working on a laptop. The three dots show up when you hover on a lesson or course on the LingQ library page. Or you can open a course, and then you will see the dots without hovering.)

1 Like

Oh, I see, you are adding the course/lesson to the playlist, not to the classroom directly. Ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Exactly. In the “old days”, you added content directly to the classroom, but that all changed a couple of years ago with the advent of this version of LingQ. Now everything works via the playlist feature.

2 Likes

One more follow-up question: How do I as a student leave a classroom once I’ve joined? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll just jump in here to say that I don’t know. From my teacher’s view I can remove students from classrooms, but I too have wondered how they can do it themselves. My students are adults, and so far, the accounts of those who have stopped studying with me or that have moved to a different class just linger, ghostlike, in my student lists…Unless I remove them.

2 Likes