Lingq ChatGPT chrome extension

Hey all! I’ve been studying Dutch on Lingq and thought a ChatGPT extension would be quite helpful, so I built one with my brother. The extension is able to:

1. Get contextual definitions (including automatically in your learning language like Chinese → German for example, which will great for non-English users)
  2. Translate sentences better
  3. Get full dictionary definitions
  4. Identify separable verbs in a sentence (helpful for German and Dutch)
  5. Identify verb cases (e.g., present, past, etc) and generate the infinitive version of the verb
  6. Identify noun cases (e.g., nominative, accusative, genitive, etc.)

See the images below for how it looks, I’ve found it quite helpful so far, particularly the more accurate contextual definitions. Try it out by going to the chrome extension store or by checking out our website here. The extension has a free trial so you can test it out and see if you like it (no credit card necessary!). After that, it’s $5/mo, cancelable anytime.

Let me know how you find it and if you have any ideas on more features to make it more useful!

Link to chrome extension: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/lingq-chatgpt-assistant/jphlijnomckienellojelnjehkfdkdoa

Link to website: https://languagelearningassistant.com/

5 Likes

Hey guys, I’m Dafarmer’s brother and did the engineering for this. It’s been very helpful for us to use and I’m curious what you guys think. Please let me know about any bugs you encounter or new features you would like to see!

3 Likes

Guys, well done with this. It looks very helpful, especially for languages pairs without sufficient community definitions.

I’ll try it out this arvo and give some proper feedback.

A question would be, how is the data incorporated into LingQ and what happens to the returned info? By the looks of the UI it would need a new generation for each click and need to be repeated if looking at the same word again.

I think it would also be naive to think LingQ isn’t looking at a solution similar to this in house. Given they have incorporated chatGPT into sentence translations already. Might be worth looking at other similar websites to expand your product to.

4 Likes

Quick Review of the Extension

tldr: Its a useful extension and worth a try.

UI looks nice

Contextual Definition:

Myslipatukan: Granola bar - Is this like a granola bar you can probably say a granola bar is good here

• I don’t understand why the contextual definition is a sentence translation in English? Shouldn’t it be used in a Finnish context?

Translate Sentence:
Can this be called a granola bar, a granola bar is probably good for this?

• Decent translation of the text
    Onko tää niinku myslipatukan voi sanoa varmaan myslipatukan on hyvä tässä on

Dictionary Definitions:
There are no exact definitions for the Finnish word "myslipatukan" in English as it appears to be a specific term in the Finnish language. It may be a compound word that does not have a direct translation.

• You should look to support compound words. This is just a waste of tokens

Verb Case:
The verb case for the Finnish word "myslipatukan" is the partitive case. The infinitive form of the verb is "mysli".

• This is just straight wrong. I think the error could be related to how you would use muesli bar as a verb other than in a colloquial turn of phrase

When testing on a verb:
The verb case for "saunottu" is past passive participle. The infinitive form of this verb is "saunoa".

• This is correct

Noun Case:
The noun case for the Finnish word "myslipatukan" is genitive.

• This should be enabled by default. This is also the correct grammar.

Identify Separable Verbs:
In the provided sentence, there are no separable verbs. The sentence appears to be in Finnish and seems somewhat jumbled or fragmented, making it hard to identify a clear structure or separable verbs as they might be recognized in Germanic language grammar, for instance. Finnish does not use separable verbs in the same way Germanic languages like German or Dutch do. Instead, Finnish verb formation and verb phrases are based on suffixes and inflection. The sentence seems to be talking about a müsli bar ("myslipatukan") but does not contain verbs that separate into parts across a sentence.

• Another waste of tokens

A couple style/flow bugs

Stripe text is invisible on Dark Mode
After first registration a page refresh was required. UI didn’t update back from the Stripe panel.
After refreshing I clicked contextual definition. The infinity GIF kept spinning and this error was in the console

If you don’t have side panel open the enter new word box disappears

The UI also doesn’t show up on LinGQed words when not using side panel

Extra Notes:
You need to re-click each button if you close the UI
The info is not saved anywhere (That I can tell)

3 Likes

Thank you! And ya feedback would really be appreciated.

No requests are made to Lingq with this data, but we are thinking of making a “create lingq” feature. However, yes the query needs to be run separately for each word because every query is run in the context of a sentence, and we don’t have the resources to maintain a cache like that.

My hope is that Lingq is doing some sort of integration in house with this of course because then it could be much more powerful, but in the meantime we released this. Lingq has by far and away been the best language learning tool my brother and I have come across, so anything to help improve it we would gladly do.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yeah there are definitely a couple client side bugs/glitches that can occur which I am looking to rectify this week to make it a smoother experience. Usually if any are encountered you just click another word and run a function or refresh the page and click a word.

Likewise with some of the prompts for ChatGPT we are looking to fine tune them to be as good as possible. Unfortunately ChatGPT has more training on some languages than others, so a very rare language like Finnish will have less good output from ChatGPT as opposed to Chinese. And with the compound word case, like in Dutch there are many of these, the model really should be able to handle that as it is, so not sure why ChatGPT is failing here - will do some more investigating

Also, how it works in terms of language output is that whatever you set your native language to be in Lingq is what it will output. So in contextual definition, the output is the definition of that word in the context of that sentence and not a definition of the word in the foreign language.

3 Likes

The more I use it the more I like it. Most cases it does a very good job.

A couple more ideas

• Combine the Verb/Noun case and just return grammar
  • An option for transliteration
  • Keep a local object (Session storage or variable) in the extension with responses for each word and just reuse them.

Well done

3 Likes

I agree with all those ideas. Will implement them this week! Keep the ideas and feedback coming!

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed review Rooster and the feedback! We’re definitely going to take some of it and try to get some revisions out quickly

2 Likes