LingQ 5.0 has been released for iOS and Android

Word limit, oh no, that explain why I cant creates any more phrases…

I vennoticed its not making me aware of other phrases that other poeple have added, like V4 used to make me aware? Man, all my favroite features have went…

I like the new Android app. The playlist is working better than in the previous version I think. It does seem to have a minor bug though. When the app has played the whole playlist, it starts repeating the last track.

Thanks, we’ll check that.

We no longer show the Related phrase highlighting in the text but we do show the Related Phrases in the LingQ widget when you click on a yellow word. You can click on them there to create LingQs for them. We are also looking at enabling a setting to show the highlighting like we did before.

My Lingq is still the old version on my iOS…Do I need to do something to update it?

LingQ v5 app can only be installed on iOS 15. So before you can update the app, you need to update the system on your device.

iOS Feedback (v5.0.7)

1. [Consistent bug] When the dictionary search pop-up is expanded, I can tap on the first two dictionary buttons at the bottom to switch to those, but tapping on the third dictionary button or any beyond that does not work at first. Only after I scroll the dictionary bar does tapping on those buttons work (even though they are visible without scrolling). Also, tapping on the “manage” button at the end of this bar never works.
  2. [Consistent bug] When I long-press on a word in the word pop-up and tap “copy”, the word does not get copied. (Ie, when I try to paste the word, nothing gets pasted.)
  3. [Unfavorable behavior] Because of that long-press-on-word-to-copy feature (which anyway is difficult to discover and does not even work), the swipe-down-to-dismiss zone of the word pop up is markedly decreased. This bothers me all the time and I have posted about it previously, along with some ideas about how to improve this situation. That post did not receive a reply at the time. Please consider it again: Login - LingQ
  4. [Suggestion for all platforms] Reader settings need to be language-specific! For the first time, I’ve started reading a second language in LingQ: Swedish, which I’m already familiar with and which is written in the Latin script (and thus more legible to me than the script of my other language, Korean). This means that whenever I switch to Swedish, I have to navigate to settings to turn on “Paging moves to known” and also scale down the font size. And when I switch back to Korean, I have to revert these settings (at the risk of moving swaths of blue words to known, which users have complained about frequently in these forums). Having to adjust these settings adds a lot of friction to switching languages. Making reader settings language-specific would fix this.
  5. [Design problem] On my iPhone 11, the message at the bottom of the reader settings is partly cut off. All I see is: “Adding extra languages may cause your lessons to load more slowl” … the last “y” is cut off.
  6. [Consistent bug] If I switch to a playlist that I have not opened for a while, it is displayed as empty (ie it gives the message “Add content to a playlist from the lessons or course options menu”). Lessons do not appear until I swipe down to refresh, or switch to another playlist and back again. Not a big deal if you know to do it, but this is certainly a “quirk” that might confuse new users and should be fixed.
  7. [Strange behavior] I am confused by the play order of playlists. It seems always to be random. I notice it automatically plays only lessons that have already been downloaded. So sometimes that may contribute to the randomness. But even in fully downloaded playlist, it skips around as if in shuffle mode. This is not what I want. How do I get it to play from one lesson to the next, sequentially?
  8. [Low-priority suggestion] I wish there were a “download all” option in the upper right menu of the playlist screen. I often want to download an entire playlist, and would rather not have to tap each lesson to download them all individually.
  9. [Low-priority suggestion] I wish that audio playing from the “playlists” tab would continue playing when I switch to other tabs. Sometimes I want to look at things in those tabs while continuing to lesson to a playlist, and I’m always surprised that this is not possible.

P.S. I’ve been critical of “Paging moves to known” in the past, but now that I’ve picked up a language I’m already familiar with (see point 4 above), I finally get why it’s useful! I still think it should be turned off by default, so as not to flummox new users. And having this setting (and all reader settings) be specific to a language feels essential. But in any case, I just wanted to say thanks for keeping this feature around, which is much handier than I had imagined.

Yeah it wasnt TTS engine as I thought (I deleted the post)coz I went back on V5 and I wuz toterly puzzled cos some words 'twas really slow again for text to speech, and some really fast. But I’ve FINERLY figured it out know!!! On V5 android, words ARE super slow to generete text to speech only the FRIST time that I fetch them, but then if I ever click that same word again it is super fast. So ever single word on the page I’ve just readed will be super fast. Unfutnataley some V5 android users may have quitit, no realizing the slow text-tos-peach will only happen once for each word

Thanks for the feedback! We are looking into those bugs you mentioned. I do agree that the copy feature making the popup harder to scroll is a problem. Far more users close popups than copy terms.
Settings split up by language is a significant change so something we can put in the wishlist but you shouldn’t expect soon. Again we need to do things that affect the majority of users. Download all suggestion on a playlist is a good one.

Hello,
will there be one or more widgets for Android devices? I like the ones I have on my iOS screen (My favourite one shows whether I reached my goal the last six days for every language).

(moved from other thread)

Hi, I don’t know if this is a known issue… there is still a problem with the counting of lingqs and coins.

Today in my Android version I lingqed 36 words (in Swedish) and my score showed “36 coins”. So here I got 1 coin for each lingqed word (I need 50 to reach the easiest goal.).
Then I changed to my iOS version and added 6 new lingqs ( in the same language) and my score showed another 24 coins for just 6 words.

Update: Today - one day later - I used iOS and lingqed 18 words (in Catalan) and I got altogether 13 coins for it. That’s even more strange that yesterday. And the statistics show weird stuff, too.

(And on the web version I actually reached my goal a few days ago just by browsing the lesson shelves for 10 minutes…)

Maybe the issue is part of the German interface?

ohhh got it. Thank you!

Hey all, re-post from another thread, didn’t seem very active.

I have an issue with my Lingq app that I wanted to report. I don’t seem to generate coins when I listen to a lesson on my app. I’m not sure if that is by design or a bug. I tried listening from both a playlist and directly within the lesson. Neither method generates coins. I’m running on android.

Thanks!

Thanks, we’ll take a look. Seems like an issue on Android.

Hello everyone. This seems to be the most active thread for feedback regarding the apps so I would like to ask if anyone has experienced a crash when selecting text anywhere in the app. This is the most reoccuring crash in the Android app and the crash reports are not helpful because it doesn’t point to anywhere specific in the app’s code. Any tip would be really helpful.

What exactly do you mean?
I just selected a set of 17 word in a lesson. The first eight words are highlighted now for an expression lingq. The others are left not highlighted. The first eight words are shown in a pop up to lingq an expression.
Is that what you asked for?

Just now, I worked at a lesson on my mobile phone and wanted to mark three Italian words as a lingq (because combined they are one word in German).
That happens when I’m online: I mark the words , the words are highlighted and a pop up appears on the screen and shows a suggested translation.

• I tap this translation and the pop up moves on the screen and it now does not show the chosen translation and the six circles are all colourless (but in the background I can see that the expression shows up as a lingq). I want to get rid of the pop up and when I tap next to it nothing happens, but the circles around the “bin”, “1” to “4” and the “tick” change into ovals but nothing else happens. With another tap next to the pop up it disappears and the lingqed expression ist still marked as a lingq.
  • I tap the “tick” and there a two different reactions:
    a) the pop up disappears. But the words are not saved as known expression.
    b) the pop up moves down the screen and it seems that nothing happened. I tap “tick” again and pop up stays but the circles around the “bin”, “1” to “4” and the “tick” change into (not filled out) ovals. With another tap on “tick” to the pop up disappears. But the words are not saved as known expression.
  • I tap “1” and nothing happens, but the pop up moves down on the screen. When I tap “1” again the circles around the “bin”, “1” to “4” and the “tick” change into ovals but nothing else happens. With another tap next to the pop up it disappears.
  • I don’t want to lingq the expression after all and tap next to the pop-up. The pop up moves down the screen. When I tap next to it again the circles around the “bin”, “1” to “4” and the “tick” change into ovals but nothing else happens. With another tap next to the pop up it disappears. But when I try to mark the same words again, the pop up shows without highlighting the marked words. The next steps are the same as previous.

I’ve not seen the error at all. Just tried it now. Do the report specify any more particulars? Certain language? A particular lesson? Presumably they can’t get it to happen every time otherwise you wouldn’t be asking?

I have only a round 200 known words in my lists, but thenI gotta thing flash up on my screens saying congratulate I, ,that I now know 6000 words?! I only know about 200 word actualy, but I must say I very muc h like how the app flatters me and grossly exagerrates my know words, because it boost my low self-esteems very nicey it verynice

I’m not sure what you mean as you clearly do have over 6000 known words in Polish. See screenshot of your stats 2022-02-18_16-28-37. I’m not sure where your confusion is coming from. Maybe you had the time period in your stats set to the last week or 2 weeks.