LingQ 2.0 first impressions

I just cleared my cache, nothing changed. Also tried with firefox, still not working, these dictionaries just doesn’t open :((

@Karemi
What is the language in your dictionary settings?

By the way, my first impression is good. I didn’t like the last big update but this time I became more sophisticated, so I won’t resist updates anymore :slight_smile:

Hi Support Team!

we have the opportunity to click:

“Move all remaining New Words to Known Words list”

It would be great if we could also click:

“Ignore all remaining New Words”

(In some lessons are so much numbers and Names.)

Regards jolanda

Has been suggested many times by lots of users, but strongly ignored)

usually I read a text and when I see a blue word I lingq them and then continue to read - and I’d like to keep this way of learning. But now after saving a new word, if another unknown word is far from a previous, it jumps to that another blue word scrolling down several paragraphs, so that I have to scroll back and find the place where I was. It’s a bit annoying- studying of certain texts becomes ineffective. Do I get something wrong? Are there any options to switch the “jumping” off? Or should I change my learning habits?

I’m working like junair. It makes me dizzy that the screen changes and LingQ jumps automatically to the next blue word. I read the whole text and don’t focus on the blue words only.

I have the same BIG problem!

j:-(

@junair: New style of lingqing is to go through the blue words out of major context, and only then to read the text and lingqing phrases on the way (if you find out that the text worth throughout reading).

As alternative you may try to move all blue words to known at the beginning by pushing the button on the bottom of the lesson. Then you can read the text, select only really unknown words in the process and make lingqs.

It is convenient, because blue words hinder reading of a text and useful only for quick sieving through the text without actual reading. But if you want to read the text from the beginning, in my opinion, there is no sense to have blue words (just ‘deblue’ them all together with the button). By the way, it was very inconvenient to work with blue words in LingQ 1.0, so this method (to move all blues to known first and to find unknown words afterwards when reading) was the only way for me. Now I can either quickly work with blue words, or to go the old way.

So the question is why we need the words to be marked blue afterall.

P.S. And if there are many really unknown words (so you need a quick access to dictionary), you will just not get your problem with jumping far away.

In so far as the new Lesson page is concerned, I think much depends on how we like to work, and how many yellow and blue words we have on our screen. I can understand Vera’s and Jolanda’s problem. The way I see it this.

If there are a lot of blue words and/or yellow words, then the new system works well. In Czech , if the lesson has lots of blue words, I usually work through them first, simply “QuickLingQing” without looking at the text, or only occasionally looking at the text for context. To me this is more convenient and faster than the previous QuickLingQing with mouse. If the lesson has fewer blue words, I may read and convert the blue words while reading. As long as there are a few blue words per paragraph this is quite comfortable.

Similarly if there are lots of yellow words, it is quite comfortable to go through the yellow LingQs with the arrow keys.

However, if I go to Russian, for example, where in some lessons most of my former yellow words have now moved to Known, and are just underlined, there is a problem. Because whether looking for blue words or yellow words, the screen jumps to a word far down the page. I know we are considering creating two alternative views, one with scrolling and one without, so that the learner can decide how to study the lesson.

For the time being, I would suggest that for people who find the new system distracting, and therefore probably are working with texts with few blue and yellow words, the best thing is to move all blue words to known, and then go through the lesson in the minimized view.

Jolanda, I study a lot of lessons and rarely does a lesson have enough numbers and names to justify another command for Ignore all remaining words. However, it is an interesting idea. My concern is that this may confuse newcomers. Let us think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Further re the distraction of LingQing in the new system raised by a few members here, I went to a lesson in Russian with few new words or yellow words just to try things out. Since I now used to the new view, and tend not to use the minimized view, I found it just as easy to just scroll through the lesson, and click on the odd blue or yellow word of interest, and not use the arrow keys, if the words are spaced so far apart as to cause this confusing jumping about.

In summary, I think it is a matter of getting used to how to use the system in different situations.

Steve,actually I read the book from Koto Lomb. She use a lot of explications in different languages.so I must ignore a lot of words.
j;-)

@a5m

Thanks for all of your helpful and constructive posts about LingQ and how to use the new system.

A few comments from my perspective.

I would not say that the new style is to go through the blue words out of context. I think this depends on the learning style of the user, and how many blue words there are. I find that as the number of blue words declines, for example, some of the easier lessons in Czech, I just read through the text clicking on words as I need to. If the blue words are few enough it may even be more efficient to move all to know first. I tend to study in a variety of ways, even with different lessons of similar unknown word density. SoI think it is a matter of preference, mood of the user, and circumstance, (i.e. how many new words).

Everyone needs to find their own path, as I say.

@Gintaras it’s from english to english if that’s what you ask

I have just realized that on Chrome and also on Firefox, pop up blockers were enabled, so I disabled it, on both browsers, but nothing changed… Urban Dictionary and Free dictionary are not working still… Please include it in your problems list, I really need these dictionaries… Thank you!

@Karemi - Unfortunately it looks like Urban Dictionary and The Free Dictionary have added some unique code to their site that prevents it from interacting properly with LingQ. As we have many other dictionaries available through the site, we won’t be able to spend time right away on adding compatibility for these two dictionaries. I might recommend keeping one or both of these open in another tab or another window, as this should still allow you to save LingQs and add Hints without much additional delay.

Oooh, that’s pity… But thank you for answer. Hope for some changes in fututre.

@Karemi - Good news. The issue you reported actually affected quite a few dictionaries on the site, so we’ve just pushed a fix for this and they should be working properly again. Let us know if you have any troubles with these dictionaries!

Yeeey!!! Working! Thank you very much!!!

I don’t know if there has been anything said about this, but I kind of wish that there was an option regarding the “sticky selection” of your LingQs in a text (when you select the hint you want, it automatically moves on to the next blue word). My problem with this is that if there is a hiccup, and I click twice on the hint because it froze, it will unfreeze and both the current and next word instantly get their hints filled in (because I had clicked twice). I hope that makes sense.