Importing's Youtube Limits

Some time ago, I could import YouTube videos using only integrated subtitles and video. It worked almost immediately and was very comfortable to use. Now, every video goes through AI parsing of audio for transcription, even for those videos that already have subtitles. I know everything related to AI is still very expensive. And all of my imported videos fail to import.

1. What are the current limits for importing?
  2. Is it possible to import using the extension without AI?
1 Like

I believe it’s bust. There’s a thread somewhere on this. I can’t import YT videos, which will soon become a serious issue for me. There is a 90 minute length limit on imports.

When the Whisper transcribe of Youtube videos was introduced user preference for Youtube’s auto generated subtitles was not included.

There are multiple free ways to obtain Youtube subtitles and import them into LingQ yourself. If you’re after something more automated and using a PC these paid extensions for LingQ can be beneficial.

Rooster Youtube Playlist Importer
Rooster Youtube Video Overlay

In the overlay extension you can control when to split the video to bypass the import restrictions. Only supporting up to 150 mins right now though.

2 Likes

Yesterday I’ve imported a YouTube video with subs and the lesson was accessible immediately. Maybe they set it like that as YouTube imports currently don’t work (or at least didn’t yesterday), but I was under the impression that this is the standard behaviour.

2 Likes

We are investigating issues related to YT importing. Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes