Importing from YouTube is taking forever. Is it still available?

I have not been able to import any youtube videos for many weeks. It’s completely broken as far as I can see. It would be good if we could be updated on when it’s down and when to expect a resolution.

6 Likes

For me it’s still not working. It’s the third consecutive day that it’s happening.

5 Likes

This… I have several of these and they say they have already been deleted but the annoying red boxes are still there.

And I’m having trouble importing, same as everyone else here.

4 Likes

I just pasted in the “Original URL” for videos and it works fine.
Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 07.38.16

2 Likes

What do you mean? Did you use the LingQ importer extension or did you do it manually?
Do your videos have subtitles or are you depending on the autogeneration?

3 Likes

No. Nothing is working. Nothing is going to work. If there was any changes to be made they’d’ve happened already. The app seems broken for good.

4 Likes

I go to “import” and then paste in the address into “original URL” and my youtube videos upload. I paste the transcript in the text box manually, whenever the Youtube video provides the transcript in the text below the video. The videos also have subtitles.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I think I remember seeing somewhere else that the upload can work if there’s a transcript provided.
I don’t have transcripts so it won’t work for the videos I watch.
Thanks for the quick response.

2 Likes

Which application are you using when you “go to import” ?

Ah, okay after a long time searching I found an import button in the iOS application, in the bottom right of the screen. Sometimes the text Import disappears which makes it hard to find. I expected it to be with other button e.g. in the bottom row. Is that what you mean? I tried that, and the import fails, no internet connection apparently, which is nonsense as I have an excellent internet connection.

As someone else already posted it is possible to import YouTube videos that don’t come with a transcript, too. The workflow is as follows:

• Use a tool that allow you to download Youtube videos, preferable one that automatically convert the videos to mp3 audio files. I use YouTube Playlist Downloader, but there are a bunch of other freeware tools for that purpose.
  • Use the mp3 file to create the lesson. The lesson will get transcribed and the timestamps created. On my end this took a few minutes (<5 for a 12 min video)
  • Edit the lesson → under video add the YouTube link.
  • If you want the timestamps to work with the video, delete the audio file (there is a red trash can symbol next to the audio file gui).

It isn’t optimal but the extra effort is, depending on how fast you can click, less then a minute.

Timestamps not working if both audio and video are present is a known issue.

1 Like

Thanks this method is working for youtube videos after converting to MP4/3

1 Like

Just wanted to provide a personal update here, that I still can’t import anything from YouTube using the extension on my laptop or on my phone at all.

However, I was able to manually import a YouTube video (yesterday) by manually adding the link, copying and pasting the transcript from YouTube.

Hope this helps some folks until this bug can be addressed.

6 Likes

I use an iPad and I was unable to find a suitable tool in the Apple app Store. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

I like Apple products, but the ecosystem is very closed, by which I mean that so many useful tools are not available on iOS.

Could it be that all the YouTube problems have nothing to do with LingQ, but with the browsers used? I don’t have a special browser installed on my laptop, I just use Microsoft Edge. And I don’t have any problems importing YouTube videos.

1 Like

That would make sense if the issue would have occoured after a browser update. I don’t think that this was the case for me, although I am unsure. But there are many different browsers used by the people here as well as different operating systems. I would be surprised if all of them included a change in their code causing this issue with Microsoft Edge beeing the only product still working. Isn’t it usually the other way round? :wink:

But you might be on to something if other users who utilize Edge, in which case we should tell @zoran about it.

It’s workng on my iphone app again :blush:
I sucessfuly imported 4 or 5 videos today

4 Likes

You’re right, I imported a German video today, all was good. Using iPad.

1 Like

We hope to have YT issues fixed for good soon, our team is constantly working on it.
It is a problem with changes that YouTube has made and we are working to resolve it. In the meantime, YT import should still work with videos that have manual captions.

7 Likes

@zoran Is it intented behaviour, that when importing a video with subtitles in the videos language, that those parts of the text which are enclosed in < > brackets get excluded? I have imported videos where does signs are used as " " when saying the name of the channel, and they are all missing in the text.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s how it always worked but I’ll check with team to confirm.

1 Like