I never hear about german music

hello my dear friends Lucas here one more time studying german hard!

And Today I have curiosity about the german music, I love music and if you know about some group or band , please tell me.
I would like to listen german music.

‘Rammstein’ perhaps?

(It’s not music to suit every taste - but if heavy rock is your thing, these guys are pretty big in Germany.)

Pop/Pop-Rock

Clueso: “Gewinner” – - YouTube

Wir Sind Helden: “Soundso” – Wir sind Helden - soundso (Live) - YouTube

Xavier Naidoo: “Dieser Weg” – Xavier Naidoo - Dieser Weg [Official Video] - YouTube

NENA: “99 Luftballons” Nena- 99luft Balons - YouTube

Rock/Punk

Die Toten Hosen: “Hier kommt Alex” – - YouTube

Tokio Hotel: “Automatisch” – Tokio Hotel - Automatisch (full song) - YouTube

Rammstein: “Ich tu’ dir weh” – - YouTube (NOT for everybody!)

Nina Hagen: “TV-Glotzer” – TV-glotzer (white punks on dope) - Nina Hagen - YouTube

Rap

Bushido: “Alles wird gut” Bushido - Alles wird Gut Lyrics/Songtext - YouTube

Fard: “Seine Geschichte” Fard - Seine Geschichte (16BARS.TV Videopremiere) - YouTube

These are some of the songs I’ve heard and liked/know are popular…viel Spaß beim Anhören :slight_smile:

There are some recommendations on my blog http://learninggerman.verasblogs.com/deutsche-musik/

I really love Christina Stürmer and would also recommend such bands as Wir sind Helden, Juli and Silbermond.

Wolfsheim is one of the best bands ever! 2003 - Wolfsheim - Kein Zurück (Live @ TOTP-DE) - YouTube

German music is very popular at the Goth nightclubs in Perth, Australia. Some of the favorite German songs here:

Künstliche Welten by Wolfsheim: - YouTube (with lyrics)
Panzermensch by And One: - YouTube
Computerliebe by Kraftwerk: Kraftwerk - Computerliebe (1991) - YouTube

And lots of songs by Oomph, who created the hard-rock genre “Neue Deutsche Härte”:

Augen Auf: Oomph! ~ Augen Auf! ~ - YouTube
Gott Ist Ein Popstar: - YouTube (with lyrics)
Sandmann: Oomph! - Sandmann (Videoclip) - YouTube

I’ve also heard that Jan Delay is popular in Germany, he performed at Eurovision 2011 in Düsseldorf:

Jan Delay - Oh Jonny & Klar (HD) LIVE @ Eurovision Songcontest - YouTube (with lyrics)

Hope that helps!

Hallo Lucas :slight_smile:

Die hier finde ich toll:

Viel Spaß beim Hören!

AmAZING, THANKS FOR ALL

Knorkator (brilliant band, very witty, funny lyrics)

Others:

Eisbrecher
Totenmond
Dornenreich (Another amazing band, although Austrian, not German)
Einstürzende Neubauten
Janus
Angizia
Tanzwut
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Silber
Atrocity
Der Bote
Megaherz
Subway to Sally
In Extremo
Schweisser
Zombie Joe
Richthofen
Feindflug

Among others that I can’t remember right now.

What, no Schubert?

or Mozart?

:slight_smile:

ad Chris: (…) Others:

Eisbrecher
Totenmond
Dornenreich (Another amazing band, although Austrian, not German)
Einstürzende Neubauten
Janus …

Wow, that’s crazy, I don’t know any of these groups. Never even heard of them lol. I guess I’ll check out the Austrian group first :wink:

I know most of the groups the other posters mentioned. Generally speaking I have to say I do not recommend listening to German rap music (like Bushido etc.). Of course, that is mostly a personal preference but I don’t see any possible benefits in listening to their “lyrics” unless you want to impress whoever you talk to with an endless list of swear words and enjoy listening to people talk about how cool it is to be violent.

Some of Bushido’s lyrics are just outrageous in my opinion. Young language exchange partners keep asking me how to translate these songs which I respectfully refuse. To each his own I guess. If you like it, go ahead and listen to it but I doubt you will make any progress linguistically speaking (well, of course, you will gain some expertise in swearing and threatening people verbally and after all that is part of a language too; still I can do without it).

My personal preferences aside, I’d say listening to music is always a nice way to immerse yourself in a language.

Music sung in German that I like (not all of these bands are from Germany): Kraftwerk, Can, Tangerine Dream, Faust, Neu!, Die Fünf Freunde, Einstürzende Neubauten, Young Gods.

One that i love is Outbreakband :slight_smile:

Ich höre gern Rammstein,Oomph! und Megaherz.Ich finde die Deutsche Sprache sehr musikalish.Ich hoffe demnächst anderen gruppen zu kennen.

Virginia Jetzt! Virginia Jetzt! - Wo bist du jetzt - YouTube

Others in related videos.

LFJ danke shoen fur dein link!

Bitte schön! Dieser Band gefällt mir sehr. Ich hoffe, die Musik gefällt dir auch! Viel Spaß beim Hören!

Ich mag viel Irhen name.Das ist ein name(Virginia Jetzt!) Ich habe nicht jemals gehört!Es scheint mir sehr besonder und schön.Ich denke daß Sie sind ein interessant band.

Everyone talks about Rammstein. Would disagree very strongly that you shouldnt listen to Hiphop. Arguably the best song to come out of Germany in ten years is a hiphop tune; one though which has a lovely refrain from Shostakovisch!

Peter Foxx - Alles Neu

Deutsche Hiphop kann gut auch sein.

Fettes Brot - Amsterdam

Real cheeser of a german hiphop tune that incorporates an old Schlager

FLER - Das alles ist Deutschland

Stonking wee beat on this one until the cheesey synths kick in and ruin it:

FLER - BMW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-8rawJre14

My favourite German HH tune of the past year, cracking beat with lovely ravey stabs on it.
Arkitekt - Wie ich bin

Arguably though, the genre of music Germany excels at is electronic music. Here is a link to a beautiful tune which is house/techno but slow, quite ethereal and with lyrics.

Jurgen Paape - So Weit Wie Noch Nie

Bit old now but still a bit of monster of german electronic noise

Boys Noize - &down