How to improve the suggested translations?

I’ll attach a screenshot. I want to change the source where the suggested translation on the right side is sourced from. Because whatever translator is used there is worse than google translate. I know that the word is spelled inocorrectly but that is because it is an AI transcript.
My main problem is the high inaccuracy of these translatoins. They are so bad I have to check them everytime with a dictionary. (Currently the best one is Globse). Doing this for every Blue word of course takes up a lot of time and is quite inefficient. The thing is that google translate is way more often correct then whatever they are currently using. There is a setting in the profile page which I changed to google translate. But it seems like it only affects the sentence mode.

The problem occurs because the current programm cannot differentiate verbs and nouns. A Combine (the harvesting maschine) is a Mähdrescher but to combine means kombinieren/verbinden. This is one example but the suggested translations are in a lot of cases nonsensical. The word beeing spelled incorrectly in the transcript is not the issue here as google translate catches it regardless.

Does anyone have a workaround on how to get better translations without looking every word up in a dictionary and adding it manually (this is what I currently do). The current situation slows me down.

1 Like

I answered in this other thread about what those popular meanings are. I guess it is the same answer. There’s nothing we can do about it, unfortunately.
I personally write a lot of them, and do some clean up. But it’s like a drop in the ocean.

2 Likes

Hey LuckieNoob, I’ve run into the same problem with Dutch. I mentioned this in another thread, but I’m creating an extension right now to solve this. With my extension, you can get the contexual definition of a word from Chatgpt by simply clicking “Get Definition”. As you can see in the screenshot of your example sentence, the contextual definition is exactly what you want. I should have this extension out in a week or so. I’ll make a post in the lingq forums when its ready

2 Likes

that looks interesting. I’ll keep an eye on the forums

2 Likes

I also add a lot of them, but it is very time consuming. It may not be a problem for popular language pairs like spanish → english but for ukrainain → german there seems to be not to many users

3 Likes

Popular meanings are created by users. In my experience (Chinese > German, Japanese > German), more than 50% of them contain big mistakes and are unusable in my opinion. There is no quality check. And you can’t flag them as wrong or bad either.

5 Likes

Being able to flag bad translations would be a good feature!

4 Likes

hey just FYI, my chrome extension I mentioned is Live now. You can see it here on the forum: Lingq ChatGPT chrome extension

1 Like