Hint pop-ups and view modes

I miss the opportunity to see popping-up hints for yellow words, while working with a new lesson. I mean, I either can use the collapsed view, but then I can’t create new LingQs, or the full view, but then I can’t look up my yellow words. You could tell that constant switching between full and collapsed view could be a solution, but acting this way would abolish all advantages the new system has. (I know, some us prefer to create all lingqs before actually reading the text and two existing views perfectly fit this manner, but that’s not the way I [like to] do)

As for me, just having pop-ups in the full view would be the best possible combination of old and new system’s versions: both creating new lingqs and looking up old ones would feel promptly and flawless. Even if someone doesn’t need them, I don’t know how they could harm (and it could also be an on/off option; by the way, we still notionally have Popup Settings on the http://www.lingq.com/accounts/settings/ page).

Interesting. I can use the collapsed view almost like I did in the old system. I can hover over words of any color and get a meaning. I can review yellow words, and I can create a LingQ. (Of course, if I want to do more than accept a user hint, the pop-up changes into the side panel.)

What I am having trouble with (in the collapsed view) is editing a word that I have already marked as status 4. The meaning box pops up, I change the status to 3 so that I can edit. The side panel appears and always shows the PREVIOUS LingQ.

and I can create a LingQ

No, you can not: it will switch to the full view, where you can not hover over anything, until you go back to collapsed.
Why not have both in one?

You could tell that constant switching between full and collapsed view could be a solution, but acting this way would abolish all advantages the new system has.

Jingle, I cannot reproduce your problem, unless I don’t understand it. If I use the minimized view, and hover over a yellow LingQ, I can change the status on the yellow popup, the colour changes, and the side pane does not open up. This is true for any status level, including changing 4 back to 2 or 3.

As for the fact that the side pane opens up when we need to search a dictionary, this is not so different from the previous system, since we need to open a larger view to see the dictionary. I really do not this as a problem.

the side pane opens up when we need to search a dictionary, this is not so different from the previous

@steve I am not talking about something getting even worse. I am talking about how it could be made even better (having hovering functionality in the full view). If I have to switch between full and collapsed views constantly, I don’t see how the new system is better (faster), however, it could be.

The difficulty is that we cannot please everyone. Many people, myself included, find the popups distracting. Others, like you, prefer them. So we need a view without popups, and another with popups, the minimized view. We don’t want to add yet a third view, combining the side pane with popups, even assuming that is possible. At some point the more choice you offer people the more you confuse them and put them off.

If it’s just going to stay this way, I have to report a bug with opening the dictionary from the collapsed view: as I do it, the focus doesn’t go to the chosen word, staying on the previous one instead. So, I have to click the chosen word one more time in the text and then click dictionary.
However, I don’t see how having to choose between creating lingqs and looking them up could be more agreeable, than just doing both. Not looking up saved words is equal for me to not using the system. It’s now just the same if I were writing out words from a book manually.

Yes this seems to be a bug. Thanks for reporting it. Sorry about that and we will get it fixed.

I don’t understand the second paragraph.

Thank you!
Which part of it?

I do not understand what you mean. You can create LingQs and look up words. You can look up saved words. I don’t understand your problem.

You can create LingQs and look up words

Just either or - not as a coherent process. That’s the problem.

Sometimes I click on yellow words to look them up in the editing widget, but it’s bulky and you can not see longer hints this way.

I know that you prefer to lingq new words before reading the text, but the sad part is, it’s now the only way to work that fits the system.

We do not agree on this. I do not always create LingQs first. I often do so while reAding and while checking my yellow words using the mouse and or arrows. There are many ways to use the system, not just one.

Your complaint is that the yellow popup is too small to allow longer hints?

Your complaint is that the yellow popup is too small to allow longer hints?

There are no pop-ups in the full view - you can only look up in the edit field.

and or arrows

Also not possible since yellow words are passed if the focus was one a blue one. So, once again, you can only make either or (which makes the process really slow if you are looking for a way to engage in both activities) - that’s my general complaint.

Yes popups are only available in minimized view. Is the Hint field there too small?

You can follow both blue and yellow words in full view with mouse or shift arrows, I often do.

Is the Hint field there too small?

I didn’t check it, since I am in the full view mode most of the time (so that I could create lingqs). I think, it’s supposed to show whatever fits into the hint’s length limitation - if it doesn’t, then it’s too small.

You can follow both blue and yellow words in full view with mouse or shift arrows

Could be great, Steve, but there is one more instance of the “either, or” approach, introduced in LingQ 2.0: we can not go from a blue lingq to a yellow one, using the arrow keys. Creating and looking-up functionalities are totally separated in this new system and I can not see how it could be good.

You do not like the new system as much as the old. I understand. Most people have reacted very positively to the new lesson page.

@eugrus - We may enable keyboard shortcuts on the minimized view in the future. Give us a chance to work out all the other significant issues we are working on. Regarding switching between blue and yellow words in maximized view, just click shift + left/right arrow to switch from blue to yellow or vice versa.

@Steve: I like the new look a lot but I would love to have better access to the dictionaries as well. Now the window for the dictionary is smaller than in the ‘old’ LingQ. For example now I have to scroll down and left, before I had to scroll down only.
As there are still problems when I add and change the hint after looking words up in the dictionary I’ll stop now creating more LingQs. It is so frustrating to go back and experience that only a part of the hint was saved even when I had pressed “saved”. I hope these problems will be resolved soon.

Steve, I like most of it: it has some prerequisites to make it a faster and more effective system then it was, for instance, I like the side pane much better, then the old widget, but there are some shortcomings too. In my opinion, “combining the side pane with popups” would have been exactly the ideal solution. However, if it’s not going to happen, fixing the bug you’ve mention is going to compensate the efficiency at least to some extent.

click shift + left/right arrow

I didn’t notice that part in the first place. Thank you, Mark!

Let us let the dust settle and then we can look at improvements or solutions for particular users. Your patience is appreciated.