Hint pop-ups and view modes

Just with regard to bugs, I have to mention one more problem with switching from collapsed to full and back: the page simply scrolls away as I am doing so (even if I have a marked lingq, it can scroll out of the screen).
This problem seems to appear only in some lessons, probably in larger ones.

I have noticed this myself. It is on the list. I find the biggest problem is that I cannot find the LingQ highlight in the red border. It seems to disappear.

In my case, the highlight is still there, but may be just out of screen. Does this really depend on the lesson’s size?

@Steve: I think I was basically describing the same bug as eugrus. Except that last night clicking an extra time on the word I wanted didn’t seem to work while today it does.

Due to some other commitments I have not been able to use lingq much since I opened an account. I came back to the new version and am having trouble adapting to it. I am studying Chinese on lingq and when I first used lingq, there seemed to be more hints available. Now I hover over so many new words and I can see no hints at all. And have to manually search the dictionary for the romanized pinyin. I can already speak Chinese and would like to use lingq to practice my reading, having fast access to the pinyin was perfect for me in the past. Is this something I can reactivate or will I always have to click ‘search dictionary’ and look myself? It would be a real shame for me if so, since that was my favourite aspect of lingq. It took away the hassle of manually searching up words…

I went into the Chinese to check.

If you are in the full mode, which I recommend, clicking on a word brings up all the Hints and Pinyin that is in the Hints. If you choose the minimized view you see the same in the popup. Or perhaps I do not understand your problem.

Make sure you take a minute to familiarize yourself with the navigation using keystrokes in the new system.

@zhangsanfang - I recommend you watch this video explaining LingQ and how it works - - YouTube.

Thanks for the responses but it still doesn’t fix my problem. The system works as you say buy only for words in yellow that I lingqed in the past. If I click on a blue word, very very few actually have pinyin. Less than 5% in the lesson I’m looking at now. Most of the words in blue, in full or mini view, just give me an option to search the dictionary myself. Can you not replicate this situation? Or is it just me?

If all you see is the Check Dictionary option, that means no other user has created hints in the same dictionary language as you. You can therefore create your own hint by checking the dictionary or use the integrated Google Translation hint that is shown.

I guessed that this might be the case. The sad thing is however, it certainly was not like this before the update. Before the update, I found that almost all words provided pinyin. Google translator does not provide pinyin to my knowledge. Is it possible that user hints became lost in the transition? But, like i mentioned, all of the words I lingqed in the past have retained their hints.

Nothing has changed in that regard. If the user Hint included pinyin, then you will find pinyin. If it did not then there will not be any pinyin. I just checked the Chinese section, although I am not studying Chinese and the vast majority of Hints have pinyin. I find it strange that you are not seeing pinyin in the Hints. It may be that you are moving into more difficult words where people did not leave the pinyin in the Hint. Mystery.

I thought you might suggest that I am moving into more difficult words but I’m not. I have come back to linqg as a beginner still. Even the most basic of vocabulary such as ‘I’, ‘You’, ‘He/She’ just prompts me to search the dictionary. Steve, if you look at these words, 我, 你, 他, 她, you are able to see some user hints?

I, too, see lots of pinyin. Perhaps you are into more obscure words now. Have you changed your dictionary language away from English?

Mark, you’ve cracked it. It’s not something I have intentionally done, but when I checked the dictionary, it was not in English :S Some words, albeit very few, showed pinyin, and most didn’t so I assumed all those user hints from before had vanished. Changing the dictionary language seems to have remedied the problem. Thanks Mark and thanks Steve for helping me out here! Keep up the good work!

Every user Hint I open has pinyin. Only the google translate does not. If you don’t see pinyin, check for more user Hints in LingQ widget.

It’s all sorted now. Marks dictionary suggestion fixed it :slight_smile: I must say, I’m very relieved. I was really looking forward to diving back into my reading now I have time and the already established base of user hints is so useful. Thanks again guys.