Has ChatGPT become useless?

When ChatGPT came I out I loved it.

In recent weeks when I used it, it turned out to be completely useless and full of mistakes.

Example:
I pasted a bunch of Chinese sentences with English, pinyin and Hanzi. Maybe 30 or so sentences. Then I asked ChatGPT to turn this into a table with only 2 columns; english on the left, pinyin on the right. First output was only 5 sentences. When prompted for more, it would just repeat the very same sentence 30x. Second apptempt it would mix hanzi and pinyin. Third attempt it would just create new random sentences…

1 Like

Do you mean that you were asking more or less the same thing few weeks ago, and you had completely different and better results?

1 Like

Yes. Absolutely.

For instance, today I asked ChatGPT 4 times to always reply with Hanzi and Pinyin. However, it would always leave out the pinyin. When asked about it, it apologized, but still omitted it…

1 Like

Ouch! You are using ChatGPT 4? So, this is not related to 3.5 to, let’s say, push users to buy the 4, but the problem is related to the paid version as well?

edit: oh no, it was 4 times. :rofl:

Anyway, eventually the question still stand, it might be only for the 3.5 version?

2 Likes

I can’t speak to it in regards to Chinese, but for German (and the little bit I’ve played with it for Spanish) it’s been fantastic.

I do use Chat GPT 4.0 (and pay for it). I know you can get some use of that engine using microsoft’s freebie AI. I assume the results could be the same, so you might try there if you are just using the Chat GPT 3.x.

Although, I assume by your question that it did work fine for you before? With the same prompt?

Also…I’ve never asked it to do something like you describe with the columns

2 Likes

I’m considering upgrading as well. Not now but not too far in the future. I need to understand what’s the better option between ChatGPT official channel, and Poe by Quora where ChatGPT is included anyway. I will have to do some test.

Do you find a big difference between the 3.5 and 4, for learning languages?

1 Like

I am not sure what is going on, it also seems to vary from week to week. However, I keep seeing lots of threads on Reddit that also talk about ChatGPT having been somewhat downgraded and having become worse. People there seem to promote Claude AI, but this is not available in Germany. Moreover, not sure how it performs with foreign languages.

1 Like

The only problem I’ve seen so far is the obsession to make it too political depending on the moment, which means that many answers are biased or have the tendency to be biased. This obsession is probably reducing quality in general, and creating answers too politically correct, or polite, or bla bla bla with a lot of extra nonsense that wouldn’t be necessary at all. Imho.

I consider this has a reduction on quality but it is in a different way compared on what you’re saying.

If you access Poe.com, you should have Claude AI in there. They have it, and I don’t think it’s filtered out for Germany, because they access it through API. But I’m not sure about it.
Not sure about the quality either, for what I was searching, few months ago, I didn’t like it much, or more or less it wasn’t much different from ChatGPT.

1 Like

I’m using ChatGPT 4 and am quite pleased with it. From what I read Chat 4 is a substantial upgrade from 3.5. I mostly use it for French grammar and translation quiestions.

I have no idea how well either version handles Chinese script.

1 Like

@davideroccato I don’t think I played with the 3.5 version super long to notice a difference per se. Of course being at an intermediate level I’m not sure I could judge if 4.0 was significantly better.

I had read, like jt23 that there were significant improvements from 3.5. 5.0 is also just around the corner too and it’s being said that’s a huge increase over 4.0.

I’m guessing 3.5 is sufficient, but if using freebies, might as well just use Copilot in Edge browser. There you’ll be able to use 4.0 for 20 or 30 inquiries a day.

2 Likes

yes, the problem is that the difference could be in other areas. Because it’s just a question of how much input the machine has. That’s why I asked about your specific questions on language grammar, or language learning use; because maybe the difference is minimal. One billion data more could be totally unrelated to language learning in a specific language, if nothing has been add to that category.

Just speculating.

2 Likes

I pay and use it for all manner of tasks. It goes haywire sometimes. I build some GPTs and multi-step prompts that will get perfect results on two passes and give me junk on the third - it’s the nature of the beast right now. And yes, it’s frustrating, but it’s still a remarkable tool.

2 Likes

@DanDudeBro Can you create prompts for individual chats in GPT 4? I mean with that new option “customize ChatGPT”, that should be valuable for all chats. I don’t like the idea to have a master customization but I’d like it to have it individually for singular chats. On the top of other prompts.

1 Like

If I understand your question, that would be more or less the case. If I craft a prompt I like or multiple prompts that step me towards an outcome, I can put that in a custom GPT, make it only available to me, and it will reside in the sidebar. I can open a new chat and click on my custom GPT anytime I want to use it. You can also add global instructions via your profile link in the lower left, (I think that’s where it is?) to influence all your threads.

In the end, the payoff happens by going in there and having a few train wrecks until you figure it out.

3 Likes

@DanDudeBro thanks. ChatGPT often forgets the initial prompt but as a customized option is like creating a personal bot. In this case, for each different chat if and when necessary. With the 3.5 there is no individual separated chat option.

1 Like

Just tried this out. Pretty cool.

I had been keeping my chats that were specific to a task. Like a common one I use is "Can you explain the grammar in this sentence: . So I would just open up that chat and reprompt whenever I had a new sentence (i’ve done it so much my keyboard app types it for me lol). I essentially just created this for myself as a custom GPT and all I have to do is paste the sentnce into the chat, without reprompt. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

Yep, and that’s why I think paying the 20 bucks/mo is worth the squeeze. I also have FOMO because I think this stuff is really cool, and I want to be a part of it.

3 Likes

Bravo! You can also search out GPTs by other creators available on the platform’s public subscription side by using keywords. Some may be useful to your language of study if you snoop around.

2 Likes

I had done a little inadvertent snooping a couple of weeks ago and found some that were interesting. Not sure if they were user created but definitely good idea to poke around. thanks.

1 Like

For a while I just ask it one question at a time like can you give a definition and example (or a few example sentences) for this word. It works great. But a while back I tried to make it give example sentences for a list of words and found that it struggled a lot. Then I asked it how many words it could handle at a time and it told me (I think it was like 5-10 which is a lot less than the 100 I was trying to give it). If it’s struggling you can ask it why, how much information it can process at a time etc.

3 Likes