From your experience, how many hours of Listening\Reading should take one to start to feel he can listen\read almost anything with the language on the internet

From your experience, how many hours of Listening\Reading should take one to start to feel he can listen\read almost anything with the language on the internet

I am particularly asking for German\French but any other languages are welcomed!

It depends on how far the language you aim to learn (the target language ) from your language, for example Turkish has many words common with Arabic and French, so it will be easy for Arabic and French guy to learn Turkish than another person.
But until now, and what I heard that the minimum time is 90 hours, and it depends on your attitude and understanding of the grammar of the language, because sometimes the ignorance of grammar consume time.
third it depends on the material you study and how it is suitable to you.
watch these videos :-

And you should know that there is something called fluency and proficiency
Reading
Fluent: A fluent reader will likely understand any basic short text without a lot of specialized vocabulary, but would be lost when attempting to read a book or newspaper, especially ones that discuss a single topic in-depth.

For example, I would myself fluent in Russian, to the level that most people I speak with believe that I have Russian parents, or some other intimate contact with native speakers. Despite this, I still struggle when reading a newspaper or a book.

Proficient: A proficient reader has all the literacy of an educated native speaker. He or she can understand complex texts meant for a general audience—like books and newspapers—but also is capable of digesting specialized texts in a few key areas of interest.

Listening
Fluent: A fluent listener understands most of what he hears, but often has to piece together the meaning of more complex utterances by relying on individual keywords.

Proficient: A proficient listener has a near-automatic understanding of anything he hears. There is no mental backtracking or inference needed to parse difficult utterances. Proficient listeners can understand many of the most difficult media for listening, including music, movies, comedy, and news broadcasts.

http://www.thepolyglotdream.com/b-to-c-1/

So your first goal is to reach the fluency.

Yacer, I agree with the most of your statements, but you are an overoptimist - 90 hours of listening are unsufficient to understand even basic texts with B1 level - 500 hours is a minimum for the low intermediate and 1000 hours are necessary to achieve the proficient level.

1 Like

Mr.Evgueny, do you mean 1000 hours of paying attention to the texts, or for example jogging and listening, cleaning and listening, doing other stuff and listening and so on?

And do you mean 1000 hours for upper B2?

Thank you

@MatDeris,

What is your native language?
What other languages do you speak?

My native language is Arabic.
I speak English fluently

Mat, everything is possible, but the immersion into a target language must be not less than 1000 hours to get to the level upper B2.

Yes, I got you but this was not my question. I meant should I listen attentively to these 1000 hours, or the hours I am doing while cleaning, jogging are also counted within the 1000 hours?

O, my God!.. I don’t like all this detailing!!!.
It depends on everyone.
I answered - EVERYTHING!
It means: everything can help you - of course, you have at least 50% to listen to the podcasts attentively.

From my experience, 2 years. Well, it makes 750 hours approx. So evgueny is right, 1000 hours sounds fair for German. People think that the grammar of German is the most difficult part of the language or the articles but I think it’s listening. I just got lost in the words.

It depends widely on the language you are studying and your experiences with related languages. With my German 500 hours will probably be more than enough, French I’ll probably need more maybe 1000-1500. Chinese, however, will take much longer; I expect upto 5000 hours before I can read/listen to practically anything. I consider “listen/read almost anything” strictly meaning that you must be able to understand everything of the texts you read or audio you listen to.

1 Like

Thank you Tarris
I would like to ask you, have you done it with German? I mean have you done 500 hours so far? And if so, are you able to read and listen to most things?

If not, what is your current level of German and French and how do you feel?

Thank you

No I havent. I have probably done somewhere between 200-250 hours of German listening so far. I can get the general gist of most things, but not more than that. My French is a little bit below my german, perhaps 150-200 hours of listening

Thank you Tarris.
How long have you been studying German and French? And may I know how many hours do you do a day?

With technology, different apps and programs, someone can reach the fluency in less than 90 hours. I am sure of what I am saying.

You live in a fantasy world where being able to do basic small talk is considered fluency

2 Likes

If we take into consideration that this is your first foreign language that you learned, and your native is English, then:
French = 750-1000 hours of reading/listening
German = 650-800 hours of reading/listening

If it’s perhaps a second foreign language that you learned, then we might be able to see it taking a little less time, maybe 100-200 less hours.

In years, I would say generally 1-2 years to get to that level. I say 2 years for French, and 1 for German if your native is English. French isn’t particularly hard as a language, but the pronunciation + spoken French + accents can be hard to get accustomed to.

So, basically, a person who listen 2 hours at day will reach fluency in 45 days?

and I am sure that you have no idea what fluent means.

2 Likes

Everyone’s answers except Yaser2020’s make sense.

It will take a lot of time and work to get to fluency. People’s abilities to learn a language vary a lot depending on a number of factors. You shouldn’t get stuck on how many hours in total it will take for you to reach fluency but you should spend at the very least 1 hour everyday listening and reading whatever interests you.

People who cannot reach fluency are simply the ones who do not enjoy the process of learning. If you want to be fluent in 2 months because you listened German for a given amount of time, chances are that you will be really disappointed.

However, if you simply wish to learn German by reading your favourite newspapers, stories, and spending time listening on lingq, then you will be able to talk about simple topics faster than you can imagine.

By the way, learning two languages at once when you’re just beginning to learn languages is a terrible idea. Choose one and stick with it.

4 Likes