Extension: Rooster HotKeys -> Modify keybindings for LingQ Reader

I’m trying " Rooster Reader for LINGQ" and I can’t see how to make it work - it does not appear.

2 quick ideas to add to the pile:

1. Setting spacebar to a keyboard shortcut in the rebind menu displays a blank space, it could maybe be labelled with the word “spacebar” so you know the entry went in correctly and isn’t just an unset key. I started using spacebar for play sentence audio while in sentence view and noticed that it entered a blank space when I was binding it. The key works perfectly fine though so there’s no issue with the binding itself, just the way it’s represented in the gui overlay could maybe be made more clear.

2. An assignable shortcut to toggle between sentence view and page view - the button in the bottom middle of the web reader.

The new toggle stats menu shortcut is surprisingly useful too, I didn’t know I wanted that until you put it in!

1 Like

ROOSTER HOTKEYS PATCH 1.28

→ Fixed!

→ Added!

You can thank @bbbblinq for that one

1 Like

Can we add "Increase Font Size" and “Reduce Font Size” as actions?

Seems like " - " for “Font Size” shrinks the font for LingQ, and “Shift +” enlarges it.

It Would be nice to keep " - " the same for shrinking the font and set the Increase Font Size shortcut to " = " as opposed to “Shift +”.

For me, I tend to increase my text font size over decreasing it. (The joys of vision impairment, lol—I wear glasses :eyeglasses: .)

1 Like

Something interesting I just noticed.

This is now what the Next blue LingQ shortcut looks like for me on Firefox:

Note: Before the latest update, this shortcut on the Firefox extension appeared like in the below image (i.e. b for next blue Lingq), and I was having more problems getting the shortcut to work.

This is what it looks like on Chrome:

[Stay with me on this.]

When I rebind the shortcut on Firefox to be the same as the Chrome image (initially how LingQ intended it), the shortcut doesn’t work in Firefox.

But if I set the Firefox extension to the shortcut shown in the Firefox image and use " b " as the shortcut (not Shift + B), the shortcut goes to the next blue LingQ as I want to. (Note: my caps lock is not on at any point). And Shift + B doesn’t seem to work.*

*This is also applicable to the Chrome extension.

Does any of this help or make sense? Anyway, I’m going to test this out for a while and see if this fixes the issue for me and allows me to avoid going through the process I detailed in one of my edits here.

P.S. Though all of this could be a weird coincidence that doesn’t help at all, :melting_face: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I’m blown away by the speed you update these things… not even an hour later you have the update out! It works perfectly though, just tested it.

I noticed that the “All Controls” tab in the gui is missing the shortcut for “Toggle Sentence/Page View” but it’s available under the “Advanced Controls” tab. Just a heads up - obviously not a big deal!

Thanks for the update, this is awesome.

2 Likes

I fixed the display bug in the latest patch, Chrome takes a few days to update but should notice changes almost immediately on Firefox.

So the key works on Chrome if you rebind it to ‘b’ but if you bind it to something else it doesnt work?

Ill fix that next update

@jpp025 Thank you for your troubleshooting guide. I’ll add that to main post.

1 Like

The key works in Firefox if you rebind it to Shift + B, but use b (for some reason).

The key also works in Chrome if you rebind it to Shift + B, but use b (for some reason).

This is what I’m testing out to see if I run into issues with the key bindings having to be troubleshot.

The combo Shift + B doesn’t work at all but somehow clears up the ability for me to use b.

Hopefully, this makes a little more sense, I know it sounds a bit weird.

No problem! I hope it helps some users if they’re having similar issues.

2 Likes

ROOSTER HOTKEYS PATCH 1.29
→ Fixed next blue LingQ Key
→ Added Words read total GUI
→ Added Word size + Key

ROOSTER HOTKEYS PATCH 1.30
→ Added bind to toggle on and off the Hotkeys Menu
→ Hotkeys Button isn’t removed anymore when clicked

ROOSTER HOTKEYS PATCH 1.31
→ Changed the initial bind for Page left/right. Was causing a conflict that I don’t quite understand yet

2 Likes

It seems to be working great now!! Thank you!! :smiley:

Is this a similar issue as the “Shift + [arrow right/left]” bindings for the Next page LingQ? Can it this issue be resolved in a similar way? Or was that like a weird special case?

Like I mentioned in an additional edit[ed] reply, I rebinded the next page to “Shift + >”, and it works fine in Rooster Hotkeys, I just wanted to check and see, if this was a similar fix that could be implemented on the next update. No worries, if not!

Clarification:

Shift + Arrow[Right/Left] 

for the next page, seems to trigger the Shortcut for the Move Right/Left action:

Arrow[Right/Left] 

So I rebinded the shortcuts for paging to the Next and Previous pages (in a selected lesson) to:

Shift + >

And

Shift + <
1 Like

ROOSTER HOTKEYS PREMIUM PATCH 1.11

→ Import and Export keybinding configurations. (Sync your binds between browsers/store multiple profiles)

VIDEO of Import/Export of Keybinds

1 Like

Brilliant! Rebound it to:

Shift + H

for my purposes.

Solid addition when there are lots of bindings to keep track of!

Copy of my Review of the extension through Firefox (Feel free to link it in your testimonials, if it’s helpful!):

This extension works great! It allows me to not only:
1.) See a list of the key combinations that LingQ uses all in one place;
2.) Rebind key combinations to combinations that are more convenient for me; but also
3.) Bind other key combinations than just the default combinations LingQ uses.

The hotkeys are also presented in an organized popup that is easy to follow since Rooster offers a lot of key combinations. I love this add-on and that the developer makes frequent and quick updates to the extension when needed. It’s also free! I’ll definitely continue to use this extension.

Thanks for a great add-on! It really improves the usability of key shortcuts with LingQ!

Note: Modified (from original) for skimability in the LingQ Forum.

1 Like

Thanks for the store review @jpp025 That will be very helpful.

1 Like

Is it possible to have a keybinding to copy a whole sentence (that is displayed) in sentence mode?

Currently, I have to copy a whole line of text (sentence) in sentence mode by:

• Clicking Edit Sentence and highlight/copy/paste from there to an outside source.
  • Highlighting the whole sentence manually in sentence mode, waiting for the LingQ “To create a phrase LingQ, please select up to 9 words from the same sentence.” popup to appear (which doesn’t always appear consistently for me), highlighting the sentence, and copying/pasting it into an outside source.
  • Highlighting the whole sentence manually in sentence mode, doing a copy shortcut, and reformating the spaces when I paste it into the outside source since it pastes without spaces.

No worries if this is super obscure and you don’t think it would be a helpful addition; I just thought it would help when using DeepL, Papago, Mirinae, or any other outside translator/resource on a whole sentence without having to do all the extra manual work to work with an entire sentence, while studying in sentence mode.

Sounds good. I’ll have a look at this

Ye, this is an annoying bug. Same with not being able to open the phrase you just LingQed without opening a different LingQ first.

ROOSTER HOTKEYS FREE PATCH 1.32 & 1.33
→ Added Bind to copy Active Sentence to clipboard
→ Added Bind to open Print Page
→ Added Bind to Toggle Reader Settings

2 Likes

Tried it out! Brilliant!

Studying in sentence mode is so much more efficient now! :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

2 Likes

Can any shortcuts be added to change the speed of audio in sentence mode?

I’m unsure why LingQ has it on mobile but not on the web browser.

For me, I mainly just need 0.75 speed (currently, we can only play it “at original speed”), but other users may want more variety.

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do.

Edit: It’s not a standard feature of the sentence view (from what I can tell) I would need to write my own solution

1 Like