Earthquake in Japan

I hope everything will be better in the next day.I saw the pictures from the news about the earthquick.it is terrible,but the people in Japan is very calm.Let’s suppose this forum until everyone been found especial the friends of lingq.

First, I would like to express my deep sympathy with the people who was suffered by this earthquakes and tsunami.
As one of the Japanese citizens, I appreciate all of your concern here and your country’s support for our country and people.

Yesterday, I finally received a short mobile message from my friend in Miyagi prefecture. She and her family are OK, they are struggling with no or shortage life line, though.

Three days passed since the big earthquakes hit the northeast Japan. My place is quite far from the site and my daily life is normal. However, I’ve been shocked to see the unbelievable scenes. Actually I was in a sad mood since this disaster happened. I was in no mood to study English here as before.

People in Kanto area (Tokyo area) are struggling with commuting by trains, expecting temporary electricity cut. And they are worrying about the after quake.

Please don’t worry too much about the members who live in western part of Japan. We are normal and safe.

It’s difficult for me to express my feeling in English here.

To members in Japan
Please leave your message that you are safe and well. Members outside of Japan don’t know much about the location where you live, where the disaster happened. Your friends in overseas must be worry about you.

日本の方へ
海外では日本の地震・津波被害や福島原発のショッキングで深刻なニュースばかり報道されています。 大阪や九州に住んでる方でも、同じ日本だから被害にあっているのではないか、メッセージがないからと 海外では心配もされていると思います。 とてもメッセージ書く気分じゃないかもしれませんが 元気なら一言メッセージを残してあげてください。 皆さん、安心されると思います。

Hey, I don’t know if this is being too jumpy or not. My boss called me and told me that he heard that it is suppose to rain in Tokyo tomorrow. He said that there is a chance that the rain may be be a bit radioactive, from the explosion in the plant. I haven’t been able to confirm nor de-confirm this. I might have to go to work and my friend volunteers outside, rain or shine.

does anybody have any information???

@Val: Yes, I’ve heard and read this in the German news as well.

Val,
I checked this at Yahoo!知恵袋 (Yahoo! Answers Japanese version). Some people asked the same question. The answers are mostly “Don’t worry about it in Tokyo.”

The reasons are
The distance from Fukushima nuclear plants to Tokyo is about 200 km. It’s enough distance for safe at this moment.
The radioactive level at the plant site is still low.
If it too dangerous to get rain, the government will warn you. However there are no warning right now.

I’m not a expert of this, though. Just the information from the site.

It seems pretty dodgy right now. The reports on television seemed to be that they were having pretty serious problems with reactor 2. At the moment there doesn’t seem to be any risk with respect to rain, so it will depend on what happens during the night. If there is a serious explosion during the night, then the situation will be different. But if the situation is the same, then it seems there’s no danger from the rain, as nobuo said.

Personally, I’ve left Tokyo and gone to Kobe for a few days. There’s no major need for it - it’s just a precaution. But I’m on vacation now anyways - if I had to go to work I wouldn’t have left. My main concern is what will happen with the nuclear reactor over the next couple of days. It’ll probably be fine, but you never know.

I am sure the whole world is waiting alongside you with bated breath for any good news from that devastated area. It is a huge concern for so many people.

On a more positive note, I know a wonderful Japanese lady and LingQ member who lives in Kobe who would no doubt love to see you there.

These days many earthquakes appears times to times. Haiti, New Zealand and now Japan. I think there will be other earthquakes happen sometimes, but I wish God show us how to survive or how to stop these natural disasters.

I was quite hurt when hearing more than 1,600 people were dead after the earthquake. there are still some more that have not been found. This is truly hurt for those who lost relatives and friends. God blesses you Japan. Man proposes, God disposes.

These days many earthquakes appears times to times. Haiti, New Zealand and now Japan. I think there will be other earthquakes happen sometimes, but I wish God show us how to survive or how to stop these natural disasters.

I was quite hurt when hearing more than 1,600 people were dead after the earthquake. there are still some more that have not been found. This is truly hurt for those who lost relatives and friends. God blesses you Japan. Man proposes, God disposes.

@SanneT

Thanks for the thought. I’m at my cousin’s with a few people. Mostly just glued to the TV.

I used to be a proponent of nuclear energy, now I am not so sure anymore. The problem is that you cannot shut off a nuclear power plant like you can shut off a gas fire on your stove. The nuclear fuel just keeps on producing heat through its natural radiaocative decay.

The fact that this happened in Japan adds to the concerns. If they cannot handle it, who can?

Yes. There was just a press conference by the PM here, and things are looking worse. 3 of the reactors have had explosions, and the fourth is also on fire. The surrounding 20km have been evacuated, and people between 20km and 30km have been asked not to leave their houses.

What we’ve been told is that the concrete base of the reactors will not be burnt through even if there is a full meltdown. Also, there shouldn’t be a massive explosion because pressure is being vented and because there is a containment structure.

But who knows? We kept being told that everything was ok, but each announcement brings worse news.

Of course, if you put reactors in areas that are highly unlikely to experience earthquakes and tsunamis, I guess you wouldn’t have to worry about this.

The situation with earthquakes is certainly unique in Japan, but in my mind the whole thing still casts doubt on the ability to control this technology. Somewhere else they might cut corners and have less redundancy in the safety systems. The thing about catastrophic accidents is that they all are very unlikely but then happen after all against all odds.

Yes. Although this reactor is very old. I think we should adopt the precautionary principle and avoid nuclear power if we can. But japan is resource-poor and needs a lot of energy. Hydro/wind/solar/etc can only do so much. It’s a tough decision.

The problem is that in the mid to long term, we will all be resource-poor. So we better invest in R&D and conserve in the meantime.

Fair enough. I hope we do that…