Can no longer mouse-over yellow words for meaning

I have tried the new feature for a while and find that it slows me down badly. The yellow boxes cover a lot of the text and stay there until I pass the cursor over them. I found that in the previous system I could move the cursor quickly along the line and glance for only a fraction of a second on each one while listening to the sound at the same time.

I want to understand and think in the language I am learning rather than learn a translation of each word. I would much prefer it if we were to return to the old setup!

Thanks for all the comments. I still think we need to give the new system a little time. There are advantages and disadvantages with every system and we will see what works the best for most people. But first let’s give it some time.

I have tried the new feature for a while and find that it slows me down badly. The yellow boxes cover a lot of the text and stay there until I pass the cursor over them. I found that in the previous system I could move the cursor quickly along the line and glance for only a fraction of a second on each one while listening to the sound at the same time.

I want to understand and think in the language I am learning rather than learn a translation of each word. I would much prefer it if we were to return to the old setup!

Sorry I posted the same message twice. This was my first post on the forum and I did not know that the message had gone the first time.

I love LingQ so much! It is exactly what I have been looking for to learn languages. I am learning German with LingQ and feel I have already made a lot of progress in just over two months.

I hope that the yellow boxes change back so I can keep the fluency going. I do not keep yellow words that I do not want to see. My alternatives as I see them are: to print out the text and write underneath words that are new for me (which is exactly what I have been able to avoid with LingQ), or not LingQ words and keep them blue.

I also wish that LingQ were available in modern Greek, as I have studied the language previously without great success and would love to see those beautiful Greek letters and listen to the sound of them while I UNDERSTAND what I am seeing and hearing.

I waited before I decided to participate in this discussion. I want to give new features a try.

But I agree with rae68. I was used to hover over the words and to see immediately the meaning of the yellow words. The new way slows me down too. I prefer the ‘old way’, I’m sorry.

I also prefer the “old way”!!!

This *click click *make me crazy!!!
So I can not study my lessons!!! It is impossible for me!
I hope you change it soon!!!

And I miss the spell checker for the forum!!!
sorry! I`m not a Native!! Not all people are native English!!!

Although I am just a light user, on balance, I would ask for the old wobbly boxes back.

I hadn’t done any LingQing recently but decided to give it a try in view of the recent comments: I, too, find the clickety-click action and sound rather annoying. I agree, though, that the function is neater this way.

As I was blissfully unaware of the spell-checking function on the forum, I do not miss it. But I do see Jolanda’s point.

We are looking at ways to enable both alternatives for yellow lingQs. Give us a few days. The spellchecker is a trickier issue that we will add to our list.

Sorry, but I prefer the new style.

If you have to click on so many yellow (status 1-3) or underlined (status 4) LingQs, because you don’t know the meaning or are unsure, then you are doing something wrong, IMHO.
Please try to remember or try to guess the meaning before looking up the LingQ. In my lesson I normally look only at a few old LingQs, so clicking is no problem at all.

What’s more: the new system works better on touch devices because you cannot “hover” with a touch device. And the old popups sometimes interfered the LingQ-ing process if you have nearly 90-95% of all words lingQed (like me) and all the popups made me crazy…

I also prefer the new system, but as Mark says we are going to try to make it possible for the user to customize for himself and herself. Thanks for all the feedback.

@Mark
There was a spell checker there before. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

They have taken it away .:frowning:

I keep hovering for a half a second or so until I remember that I have to click.

It’s kind of embarrassing me in front of myself but it doesn’t seem like too big of an issue.
I will say I would prefer it the other way.

For the record, I prefer the hovering although I’ve given it some time and I’m getting used to the clicking.

In the end you end up working with what you have, so I can live with the clicking. But a choice would be nice.

I do wonder why we still use the hovering method for the blue words and yet the clicking method for the yellow words.

If clicking is more convenient, why not implement it all the way through?

Not that I’m asking for it, just wondering…

Both are better than thumbing through a dictionary, finding the word, and writing the entry onto 2 sides of a flashcard.

New system is better, in my view.

Having a choice would be nice.

We’re looking at what to do in this regard. We realize there are both pluses and negatives to each option, so we will see what we can do to implement an option as to how these yellow popups open.

The blue popups will likely keep their hover functionality, as this will be more convenient when creating LingQs (not reviewing them, as is done with yellow LingQs).

Only for statistics: I prefer the old system. It does correspond anymore my work methods. But I see plusses and negatives to each systems.

As I wrote above I prefer the old system. Probably the new system works better on touch screen devices but I’m working on a PC. At the moment I’ve problems to close the yellow pop up. Sometimes I click 10 or 20 times before it closes. This is annoying. Yesterday it worked better. I’ve no idea what happens.
One reason why is dislike the mouse click is that I’ve to click the mouse very often at my job. Recently I noticed that my fingers hurt, and it is caused by mouse clicks. I would really appreciate to have the choice :slight_smile:

@Vera - As hape said above, you can simply move your cursor across the yellow popup and it will close as soon as you leave the edge of the box.

We are looking at ways to offer the option of either the hover-to-open or the click-to-open. Please give us some time to get it sorted out.