Buyer's remorse

“Sorry for my rant there but it simply is hilarious to me that a Japanese citizen is trying to virtue-signal North Americans on the topic of immigration, one Washington Post article at a time.”

Are you trying to say that someone from a homogeneous country with strict immigration laws and natural barriers to prevent immigration should stop preaching about how other countries should have open immigration but not their own?

Madness…just madness

Stephen Taiwan wrote:
“Madness…just madness”

Have you lost your mind?

What does “trigger alert(s)” in your reply mean? I would like to know the tile of the article you recommned, at least.

“Trigger(ed) alerts”? “(To) trigger alerts”? “Alert(s)-triggering”? Or a type of alert program?

The innocent lives lost amid Trump’s war on terror http://wapo.st/2mFc6mt?tid=ss_tw
“Of course, there’s nothing new about Iraqi civilians dying in American airstrikes — the country has been the target of U.S. military operations for decades. But Trump’s aggressive approach seems a poor fit for the complexity of the current fight. The Trump administration is reportedly seeking ways to bypass Obama-era operational constraints meant to prevent civilian deaths. An Iraqi special forces officer, speaking anonymously to the New York Times, said there has been a clear relaxation of the rules of engagement since Trump took office. That claim was denied by a Pentagon spokesman.
Whatever the case, Mosul’s beleaguered civilians are now trapped between a vicious militant group that’s clinging onto the city with a hideous array of tactics and an Iraqi- and U.S.-led offensive that is also putting them in harm’s way.”–Ishaan Tharoor

Is this related to Donald Trump’s “secret” plan, which he promised in his campaign, to defeat ISIS?

U.S. military acknowledges strike on Mosul site where more than 100 were allegedly killed http://wapo.st/2ni1jeR?tid=ss_tw

Juliscostate wrote:
"It’s funny because people have this unrealistic idea of what a migrant is, but I spent 3 months working in a migrant camp in Mexico 2015 because I wanted to learn Spanish and I have to say that lot of them were absolute animals. "

Does the above sentence describe what you experienced in Mexico? You felt that a lot of people in the migrant camp in Mexico were “absolute animals”, didn’t you?

“A good bunch of the migrants seemed like decent folks but you’re lying to yourself if you think that they’re ALL angels.”

Is this what you meant to say? “They are NOT all angels.” Incidentally, do you think that you are an angel? I feel that most of us are not angels, by any means. I don’t know that what might be called the “angel coefficient” differs conspicuously among different countries.

Trigger warning on the trigger warning

“From its earliest days, America has been a nation of immigrants, starting with its original inhabitants, who crossed the land bridge connecting Asia and North America tens of thousands of years ago. By the 1500s, the first Europeans, led by the Spanish and French, had begun establishing settlements in what would become the United States. In 1607, the English founded their first permanent settlement in present-day America at Jamestown in the Virginia Colony.”

America has been a “nation of immigrants.”

“According to the Japanese Ministry of Justice, the number of foreign residents in Japan has steadily increased in the post Second World War period, and the number of foreign residents (excluding illegal immigrants and short-term foreign visitors and tourists staying less than 90 days in Japan) was more than 2.23 million at the end of 2015. With an estimated population of 127.11 million in 2015, the resident foreign population in Japan amounts to approximately 1.75% of the total population.”–Wikipedia

You’re not seriously suggesting that History Channel is a good source of history? If you want reality shows about trucking in the wilderness they’re great, but history?? Give me a break.

“From its earliest days, America has been a nation of immigrants, starting with its original inhabitants, who crossed the land bridge connecting Asia and North America tens of thousands of years ago.”

Is this where I tell you that I don’t care? This basically changes nothing. Also, “America” was not a nation until the late 18th century. History channel should know this.

"You’re not seriously suggesting that History Channel is a good source of history? "

I don’t know. Thank you for your suggestion.

"Is this where I tell you that I don’t care? This basically changes nothing. "

I don’t know what you meant to say here. Could you be more specific?

trigger warning! Knew I got that wrong haha.

“From its earliest days, America has been a nation of immigrants”

Mostly European immigrants.

“starting with its original inhabitants, who crossed the land bridge connecting Asia and North America tens of thousands of years ago.”

That’s a hypothesis. It makes sense but it’s definitely not a fact.

“In 1965, Congress passed the Immigration and Nationality Act, which did away with quotas based on nationality and allowed Americans to sponsor relatives from their countries of origin. As a result of this act and subsequent legislation, the nation experienced a shift in immigration patterns. Today, the majority of U.S. immigrants come from Asia and Latin America rather than Europe.”

It’s ok, Canadian English and American English isn’t quite the same.

“With an estimated population of 127.11 million in 2015, the resident foreign population in Japan amounts to approximately 1.75% of the total population.”–Wikipedia"

This must be very difficult to deal with such a large increase over such a short period of time.

“You’re not seriously suggesting that History Channel is a good source of history? If you want reality shows about trucking in the wilderness they’re great, but history?? Give me a break.”

But…but…The Da Vinci Code

L-M-N-O-Buddy! Wow.

That’s more similar to how we speak English in my part of the world:

The angry French lady went full retard. Never go full retard.

‪Japan sees record high number of foreign residents: Justice Ministry | The Japan Times Japan sees record high number of foreign residents: Justice Ministry | The Japan Times

Do Canadian shows make fun of Americans as much as American shows make fun of Canadians?

Not that it is in most shows, but it wouldn’t be uncommon.

The record high is only the the number currently in Japan, so as long as one more person enters than leaves Japan each year you will have a Record High every year.

“The ministry also said 3,063 illegal immigrants have been served deportation orders as of Jan. 1, of which 1,406 people were applying for refugee status.”

Interesting…I hope Japan doesn’t deport those refugees