Any plans for adding new languages after 5.0?

Can you at least give us a date to expect it? “Soon” could mean anything. Initially we heard by end of March. There are two days left in the month. Is it still end of march? Or are we looking into april now.

@mattmoon I don’t have an exact date but it’s literally a matter of a days.

Maybe they’ll “release” the new languages on April 1?

Or maybe they’ll actually release them on April 1, which would certainly be appreciated.

Another missed deadline. It looks as though
ricedj1 was correct with his “conspiracy story”

Those of you who are into the conspiracy theory, why don´t you then at least give it a month or two and then say it´s a conspiracy? Otherwise (if the languages come out within a week or two) it´s just gonna look like it was the typical delay in anything to do with software.

I am not promoting some conspiracy theory. The company put that term out there to deflect from their incompetence. They have been promising to release the new languages for more than 2 years now and I simply don’t believe any dates or timelines they give. It is really just a running joke within the community of people who would like to use the system for their study but have been put off for years now. I have no doubt they will eventually release new languages but it is just sad that they can’t set a date and stick to it or even be reasonably close to it and honest about it.

1 Like

It was made pretty clear by LingQ that they would not release new languages prior to publishing version 5.0. It is true that they did underestimate the time it would take to get 5.0 out, but it is out now. They also seem to have underestimated how long after the new languages would be published, but I´d say give it a month before getting all up in arms about it. Delays happen all the time with software. That´s just how it works in the field.

While I agree with most of your sentiment, I was told at the beginning of March that the new languages would be added by end of March, so I’m growing a little frustrated that there has not only been no new languages added, but also that there has been no update on what is going on/ why it’s taking so long.

1 Like

So far I have been told in emails or on these forums that new languages would be added in Jan/Feb 2020, Summer 2020, Nov 2020, early 2021, Summer 2021, by the end of the summer 2021, by the end of the year 2021, Jan 2022, Mar 2022, and in a few days. Those are promises made directly to me… A simple search of the forum will locate many of these empty promises and many more not made to me. Some of which go back 8 years. At this point it is just a running joke. So no you cannot simply blame 2+ years of broken promises on typical delays in releasing new software.

1 Like

I guess it wasn’t a matter of days before the new languages were released :cry:

@zoran said 1 week, 4 days ago

I admit that if the new languages aren´t added at least before the end of May and preferably before the end of this month, I´ll also be quite disappointed.

Today might be the day… I see it in the list right now :). It isn’t working, but it is in the list!

It’d be nice to have some update from the staff. New languages were postponed due to the launch of 5.0. Fair enough. Then there were some bugs in 5.0 to be fixed, so I guess that was top of the list. Has the addition of new languages become the priority yet? It’d be good to know that at least…

Oh, Armenian very cool! I have the Assimil manual with a foreword by Charles Aznavour, but no audio. I might even take a squiz at it, just to explore the beautiful script; of course I have no time to learn yet another language.

Addendum:
If anybody is at all interested in learning more about the plight of the Armenian people, I recommend Franz Werfel’s “Die vierzig Tage des Musa Dagh”. (English: “The Forty Days of Musa Dagh”). A masterpiece of German literature.

Was told they’ll be released today. We’ll see.

Looks like Icelandic and Armenian are here

Yeah, there doesn’t seem to be anything in the Armenian slot yet, but I’d go for a bit of Armenian and a bit of Icelandic as they both sound like fun languages and equally fun countries to visit. Plus, I’ve got a few Armenian Facebook friends.

Weird. Mine hasn’t been updated yet.

1 Like

I was really hoping for Vietnamese, Hindi and Swahili.

2 Likes