Adding "Known Words" to the statistics dropdown

And wouldn’t be easer to have option in settings to switch between old and new dropdawn statistics?
Bu tje way, when I look into hardcore chalenge I have no clue what is the goal and therefore I have no chance to know how much I gave to do daily progress in order to achiev the goal of the challenge.

2 Likes

Here’s how to find out what your goals are for hardcore, on web:

In this example I’m using the “casual - 50 coins per day” setting; the numbers will be different if your setting is higher, and I remember hearing somewhere - unconfirmed - that these numbers might also increase as your proficiency goes up. But anyway this is just an example of how to “easily” get the numbers you need.

From your main LingQ page (not forum), click your avatar in upper right corner and select “profile”

You’ll probably see your 7-day progress.

Note that if you have “0” for any stat, you won’t see any numeric goal for that stat using this method.

To the right of each stat, click the right-arrow to see total versus goal for the past 7 days.

For example, click the arrow to the right of “words of reading” and you’ll see something like: 449/1799 words of reading. That means the goal for 7 days is 1,799 words and you’ve read 449 words so far. Now pull out your calculator. Divide 1,799 by 7 to get the daily goal, which my calculator says is 257 words per day. (This is at the “casual” level).
Then go back to the stats page.

Next you’ll click the arrow to the right of “hours of listening” to open a new page which tells you you’ve spent 10/3.5 hours listening for the past 7 days. So, again, dividing by seven (hold on…) that’s a goal of .5 hours, or 30 minutes of listening per day. (You can change from “casual” to something else and your numbers will be higher, you do that from the “settings” → “general” tab, for each language you’re studying.)

Ok. Now back to the stats page.

Click the arrow to the right of “lingq’s created” and you’ll get to a page that says you have 13/91 lingq’s created. That maths out to a goal of 13 LingQ’s per day.

Back to the stats page.

Click the arrow to the right of “hours of speaking” and you’ll see .5/.21, which tells you that you spoke for 1/2 an hour this past 7 days, but you only need to speak .03 hours per day. (That comes out to … hold on… 1.8 minutes per day.)

Then back to the stats page.

Now click the arrow to the right of “words of writing” - you have to enter at least one word of writing in order to see the target number - and you’ll see 1/105 words of writing for the week. So, again dividing by 7, you get 15 words of writing per day as a target at the “casual” level.

Hope that when you go through this whole process you write down the goals somewhere so you don’t have to do it all again later.

Good luck!

Edited to add: From the “90 day Hard-Core Challenge” page you’ll also see a stat for LingQ’s learned, which at the casual level (again clicking right arrow) shows xx/35, which comes out to 7 LingQ’s learned per day.

Edited to add Note: A LingQ is not learned if you click a blue word and mark it as known, nor is a LingQ learned if you paged it from blue to known or completed a lesson and it got moved from blue to known. A LingQ is only learned if you first created the LingQ (turn from blue to yellow) and THEN marked it as known.

1 Like

Well, what you described was goal for certain period, but There is no goal for the challenge itself. I used to have stats how much I did since the challenge started and how much I have to mamke to reach the goal of the challenge. Thhat info is gone.
Now is so many clickings and counting to get what was once displaied once on one dropdown all together by one click.
If I am posponing in a challenge stats I have no clue how much I have to do daily more to cath up the goal to the end of the challenge period, because the challenge has no more specified the challenge value. You simply don’t know what is the challenge and what to chase for if you pospone. This is simply downgrade of what used to be. The upgred would be if app get additional counting like “now you have to make xx things daily to achieve the challenge.”

1 Like

Yes, I’m actually agreeing with you. Previously all this information was immediately available. Now to get the daily goal we have to do a whole lot of clicking and a whole lot of math. Then, to get the challenge goal, we take all those numbers previously calculated (as I posted above), and then multiply each number by 90 to get the total goal for each activity. THEN, to see where we should be each day, take the number of days so far, and multiply that by the daily goals to see our current target numbers.
All of this used to be clearly visible. Now it’s “easily” available.
(Putting quotation marks around “easily” means that I don’t agree that it’s easy.)

2 Likes

@galilean4 we’ve added back the target stats for the Hard Core challenge.

4 Likes

For those interested, you can add back Known Words to the stats dropdown. To do so

1. Navigate to the main Profile/Stats page
  2. Click on the Known Words box in the Stats section
  3. Then click “Pin” at the top of the graph.

You can also pin LingQs Learned to the stats dropdown. Unfortunaly, the dropdown is still set to 7 days, but the time frame adjuster will be coming soon.

We’ve also added additional stats for Study Time & Reading Speed.

4 Likes

You can turn off paging converting words to known.
Ending the lesson in page mode converts them all to known. It’s awful.
Or at least it used to and I won’t ever use page mode in case it still does. It’s broken.

2 Likes

I get the intention of the page to known and end lesson to known. That is how lingQ is meant to work. I use it that way.

However, there are ample use cases documented in this forum over the years to justify adding some flexibility for the user to avoid this. It is also trivial from a development standpoint.

In the Spanish course Curiosamente, they thank their patrons by username. Many usernames. Should I let them be known words? It’s a lot of invalid known words. Do I not finish the lesson? Then I have to scroll through hundreds of lessons to find the next. Or do I mark ignore on each? None are great choices, but LingQ forces these choices due to ideology.

I don’t really care anymore, because I think the known words count is pointless other than for assessing the percentage of new words in a prospective lesson, but there are those who do.

Another use case was posted today:

4 Likes