YouTube import failing due to lack of captions?

If the importing of videos without caption is no longer possible, the suggested workaround may become cumbersome as the size limit of the audio file still stands at 60 mb. This may prove to be a problem for long videos, i.e., once converted into audio files at 128kbps (the minimum bit rate), the file size usually exceed 60mb. Would it be possible to please increase the file size to at least 100mb? Else the converted audio file must be split into multiple files using an editing tool and each file must be imported infividually. Thanks

4 Likes

For me, importing youtube videos even with captions is still failing (For example this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Z06FF-JyQ). Both via the browser extension (Mac OS+Firefox), and via Import by URL from the app (Android). It claims there are no captions even when there are.

2 Likes

An update regarding YT importing:

1 Like

Well, that sucks. :man_shrugging: The whisper AI was what worked for me. Dang.

3 Likes

Frustrating, same problem. Even when I import manually, the YT video doesn’t import correctly anymore. Are you any closer to resolving this problem? Thank you.

3 Likes

ZORAN:
(1) I wish we were informed better of the changes. We are a USER group, NOT developers!!!
(2) Manually importing You Tube videos now has become hit and miss function also. One of the reasons I subscribed to Lingq was the ability to import lessons I WANTED TO LEARN, not what is suggested to me!
(3) Will you have clear & concise instructions soon of how to import YT videos?
(4) What is Whisper AI?
Thank you…please listen to your subscribers.

7 Likes

A regrettable decision. This removes the main reason for me to use Lingq. The opportunity to learn languages with videos on topics that interest me used to be my main focus here. I’ve tried the import, but it’s far from being an adequate replacement. The results don’t work properly and it takes a long time. Too bad. I probably won’t take out an annual subscription, which was my intention.

5 Likes

@zoran Considering that there are email notifications you make use of, it would probably make sense to use them to inform the users about such changes. I wouldn’t simple assume that every user reads the forum.

6 Likes

I, too, didn’t know it was possible to download videos without subs. I knew about Whisper AI but didn’t know it was available on LingQ. I’m studying Romanian and there isn’t a plethora of subbed material available so why wasn’t it made clear to users that this option was available? It’s not available now so it doesn’t matter but when will the importing issue be fixed? More communication is needed !! :rage:

3 Likes

Hi Zoran,

Instead of continue supporting, you have decided to cut the connection with the largest video library, which the most usefult feature in Lingq?

Please consider all these the objections

6 Likes

Hi @zoran

For the suggested workaround

I can’t upload any mp3 audio files that exceeds the 60 MB. which is the most youtube files, please advice

5 Likes

See here for more info

Rooster YouTube Import (Free)

8 Likes

@mogo.gero We still support importing from YT, the only thing that changed is that we no longer import videos without subtitles (which actually was the case before we implemented Whisper AI). But there is still a workaround for videos without the subtitles too, as explained. We’ll see what can be done regarding the 60MB limit.

3 Likes

@Obsttorte Of course, we will notify all users in this week’s roundup email.

1 Like

So disappointing !
Importing YouTube videos was one of the best feature of LinkQ. Unfortunately I will have to cancel my Subscription and find another resource.

8 Likes

Hi Zoran, thanks for the update. Can I check how this works? “…making sure that the many videos with captions, even automated captions, work well and are formatted correctly.”

As an example, I’m wanting to import this video, which has auto generated captions, but the Lingq importer is saying “no captions found” when I use the extension and select “automated transcript”? Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe the update is still to be pushed out?

For videos with manual captions, I’m finding that the “automated transcript” button will also result in the video failing to import, but I can currently import the video by selecting “Whisper AI” (I’m assuming the AI skips making the transcript if it detects existing manual subs). So if Whisper AI is being discontinued, that makes me a little worried that my one way to import manual captioned videos will also disappear?

3 Likes

How do you select Whisper AI?

@shelleyde It’s not yet fixed, but we are working on it and we will have it fixed soon.

3 Likes

A real shame as I no longer see any reason to continue my subscription to LingQ. This was by far the most important feature of the site. It doesn’t help that imported transcriptions for videos who have captions are always out of sync.

3 Likes

Ive cancelled my subscription so it will not renew in December. I hope this is fixed by then if not I’ll just let it expire and do youtube with auto captions. The workaround is time consuming tedious and not effective as it cant match up to the text. Sorry to leave linq but without being able to upload most of my preferred content it is not worth paying

2 Likes