Your Ultimate Guide to Mastering Chinese Listening in Five Steps

Of the four core language learning skills – listening, reading, speaking and writing – I’ve found listening to be the toughest to crack. For long periods during the five years I’ve been learning Mandarin, mastering Chinese listening felt like an impossible task. In this blog I’ll outline five steps which hold the keys to developing solid Chinese listening comprehension skills: Your Ultimate Guide to Mastering Chinese Listening in Five Steps – I'm Learning Mandarin

3 Likes

I agree.
You must have spent thousands of hours to reach your current level of listening comprehension, would it be possible to augment your post with some numbers? For example a recommended number of listening hours.
Personally I like to have some goals that I can work towards. (My current goal is to reach 2000 hours of listening). Of course I understand if you feel this is a bit simplistic.

You mention “playing [your] favourite Chinese podcasts”, I’m a fan of podcasts myself. Maybe you can make a future post about your recommendations. I currently like 忽左忽右 although it is somewhat above my level.

2 Likes

Impossible. I haven’t kept a quantitative record of my engagement with Chinese over the years. And I wouldn’t trust any such numbers from anybody else anyway, I’m afraid.

The value each minute of listening carries depends on the quality of listening involved as well as many other factors which are basically impossible to measure precisely (sorry Peter).

Does having Chinese on in the background count as much as active listening? Do conversations with native speakers count? If so what is their value relative to listening to podcasts? Surely you’d also need to factor in degree of comprehension. Do you reply on self reporting for that data?

Good luck to anyone who tries to conduct quantitative analyses of this kind. But COUNT ME OUT.

But yes, I have spent thousands of hours listening to Chinese over the years. I have no idea how many thousands but it’s certainly more than one.

2 Likes

Yeah I have been thinking about making one with my facourite podcasts. Will write one soon.

2 Likes

Chatting directly with the Chinese is the fastest way.

The value each minute of listening carries depends on the quality of listening involved as well as many other factors which are basically impossible to measure.

1 Like

I agree. Point number 5 on my listicle.