Group A: South Africa, Uruguay, Mexico, France

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C: England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Portugal, Ivory Coast

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

I don’t envy North Korea or Australia, that’s for sure.

Group C should be interesting. England and the U.S. will face off on June 12th (can’t wait). However, I think Algeria and Slovenia are going to play with a lot of heart so there’s definitely no guarantees.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I definitely think the Aussies have got it tough. We’ll see what happens. I think groups A and E will be competitive. I can’t wait for it all to start!

I think Group D is a very interesting one. Serbia and Ghana are sides one wouldn’t include when talking about the big sides, but are improving quickly and are very good, underrated teams.

As an Englishman it’s a good draw, apart from the fact I think we play a team from Group D in the round after.

Man, a friend and I were going to go this June, but because I need the money to go to University in 2010 I don’t think I will be able to make it! ugh!

These match ups are going to be interesting.

My thoughts:
Group A-France could come out on top, but I’m not going to hold my breath.
Group B-I’m not sure. I’m rooting for South Korea but we’ll see.
Group C-These matches would be really interesting! If it were between England and U.S., I think England would come out on top in that match. I just don’t think we are that good at football.
Group D-I have my money on Germany right now. They didn’t do too bad in '06, but it would have been nice to have them win on their own turf.
Group E-I can’t call on that one yet. I would like to see Japan pull something though and do well.
Group F- I’m thinking Italy will do well here. I’m not sure though.
Group G-Sorry, Brazil is going to wipe the floor here. I didn’t know North Korea had a football team.
Group H- This will be interesting. I had to put a bet on it I would think Spain. This is going to be an interesting match-up.

All I can say is that I’m going to be nested in my basement for those 30 or so days and I’m going to watch as many games as I can! It’s going to be a really good World Cup!

“apart from the fact I think we play a team from Group D in the round after.”

Yeah, thats a rough one. Germany, Serbia, and Ghana are all solid teams. I’ve been reading the English papers online. They seem quite optimistic, at times verging on arrogant but we’ll shut them up ;).

The English press is generally pretty obnoxious. England has not exactly been a stand out, ever since 1966, and that is over 40 years ago now.

In my opinion, for a long time, England has been in the top 10 best teams in the world. In the same league as Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain, France etc. But they always seem to struggle in the big tournaments (as do Spain). I think on any given day, any of these teams can beat one of the others. I’m just hoping that we see some good matches and that the fans (English and other) don’t get too carried away, either with patriotism or with boozing!

All I can say is “We was robbed”!

From group F Italy for sure will come out triumphant, however, England has shown in the past to be a worthy adversary. May the best team win!!!

I agree Steve, and quite a lot of the public too think that, I guess as a direct result of the media. It’s quite embarrassing really when they consider us to be so good all the time. However, I think England has the best team we’ve had in a while, certainly as long as I can remember, but we don’t really seem to have a plan B.

As Peter says when I personally think of the best teams I think immediately of most of Western Europe, Brazil and Argentina, with England near the bottom of that group along with Portugal. Certainly should be the world cup and I would like to see Ivory Coast go far.

New Zealand all the way :wink: (Thank you Fifa for reorganizing the qualification groups)

“As Peter says when I personally think of the best teams I think immediately of most of Western Europe, Brazil and Argentina, with England near the bottom of that group along with Portugal. Certainly should be the world cup and I would like to see Ivory Coast go far.”

Personally, I would like to see a team from outside of Europe/South America win it. I think there are several African teams with the potential but this time around they are all facing stiff competition from the get-go. Given that no European team has ever won a World Cup outside of Europe I would say Brazil, a team that travels well, has a slight advantage.

On the other hand, if the French were to come out victorious we could get to see droves of angry Irishmen storm the beaches of Normandy before daybreak… might be worth it just for the entertainment.

Apparently at the rehearsal, when they drew out France Charlize Theron said Ireland :slight_smile:

“On the other hand, if the French were to come out victorious we could get to see droves of angry Irishmen storm the beaches of Normandy before daybreak… might be worth it just for the entertainment.”

haha, I like this! I laughed for quite sometime after reading this Erik. I agree. I wouldn’t be too thrilled if France won it this time around.

It would be nice to see a none European country win it for once.

Today’s Italy was deluding. But I want to point out that the goal made by new zealand was actually an offside. I wonder if the linesman’s name was “Mole”

However, I’m honest. The penalty in favour of Italy was an exaggerated thing. It is still true though that new zealand’s way of playing is slightly violent (elbow blows were generously given)

I thought that since the ball touched the Italian player before the NZ player scored it was not offside

Sorry about Italy losing out… what happened there?

Also big congratulations to Japan, New Zealand and Korea for making it to the round of 16. Now the men will be separated from the boys.

Are you sure New Zealand is through? I thought they were third in their pool.

Oops make that Slovakia…

Sunday is going to be a very traumatic day for me: to be German or to be British, that is the dilemna dilemma!