Why you should import a frequency list/common word list and/or a corpora into your collection

I am not sure if I am the only one who has done this.

However, I wanted to make sure I was covering some of the basic/difficult vocabulary that were common when using LingQ.

In Korean:
I imported a few word lists with up to 3,000 words of different categories. Then went through the pain of highlighting things I didn’t know yet.

I imported an actual frequency list that was based on news articles and media in Korean. (about 6,000 words total)

Then again went through the process. I think this really helped with keeping me non-fatigued when starting up new lessons of normal LingQ material as I had already marked the common stuff. Added that my brain knew what the common stuff was.

In Korean (3 months and 50,000 Korean words later):
Now I can revisit that word list here on LingQ and see how many words I have learned or the words I still don’t know.

In Chinese:
I imported a few lists ( I just take the Chinese text side not the English side of the list when it’s in Excel)
I had already learned Chinese in college but never went far enough and their are a lot of strange words used in Chinese language. I imported a K-5th grade word list that has all the words Kindergarten-5th grade Chinese students would use in their daily life.

I forgot a lot of these Chinese words but it’s one of the things I can return to.

Again context is important and this lessons having that context but you don’t need context for words you know and after marking the words you don’t know you will likely see them in context later in your journey. But now you know what to listen for when watching television and you know what words exist.

Has anyone else done an import of a word list/frequency list? If you have a lot of known words and haven’t done this before then it might be cool to see if you have covered all words.

1 Like